For those who want the second GB update/patch

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So, now that it is evident that the patch won't install for many, how long until they release a patch to fix the patch that was suppose to fix the update that was suppose to fix......

KenB

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
i did a factory reset and got the 2nd gingerbread update no problem I am running the new software but of course back on a factor reset phone, not even going to bother customizing hopefully in 2 weeks I will have a NEXUS in my hands

Same here. The phone does seem much snappier. And it's not because of the reset. I tried that last week to see if it would make the phone behave better and it didn't.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ok so how the hell do you do a factory reset if you got the first GB update? there is no reset option in Privacy settings. hell, there is no longer a privacy setting...

nevermind. power off, then hold down volume and power simultaneously. scroll down to factory reset

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I delayed on it all yesterday, today no dice. No update waiting for me, Settings>About Phone>System Update no-go, *#*#2432546#*#* got nothing, and even clicking off automatic updates, my phone switched back to today's date no matter how far in advance I set the date. Shutting off the phone and restarting did not help...didn't try pulling the battery.
Still on 2.2! Maybe it's a good thing I can't seem to get it yet, still seeing so many complain about this update
Just FYI, this phone is unrooted, hardware version 0002, if that makes a difference at all.

khall1

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issues as everyone else. I got the GB update back in Sept and have been dealing with the low storage issue on a daily basis. I got this update early this morning and it's been a no go. I've tried the dialer reset...nothing. I've adjusted the date (will only let me get up to 364 days from today, not a full year). Going one to two months ahead would trigger the update message again, but after counting down to zero for a reboot, it just force closed and went back to normal operation. I managed to get the update to actually download once, but then on clicking reboot & install it just hung up like everyone else.

I broke down and I'm trying a factory reset. Backed up what data I could to SD card. We'll see if that does it.

Update: The factory reset got it to reboot and install the new 4.08.605.2 patch. Hopefully it was worth the pain of the reset. What a mess.

khall1

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Hold the power button and the volume down simultaneously and it will provide you with a list of options, including factory reset.

As to what must be restored....basically everything. You'll set your phone up from scratch. The Market will remember at least some of your apps, but if the app doesn't have a way to back up the data before you do a reset so you can restore afterward, then you'll lose that data.

Also noticed in settings>SD & phone storage that there is now a new category. Application data storage. Despite showing I have a total of 736 mb of available space on teh phone, HTC has decided I may only use 149mb of that for app storage. Sounds like the low on space warnings will be continuing. :mad:

timdgibson

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Hold the power button and the volume down simultaneously and it will provide you with a list of options, including factory reset

I don't get this option when I do that. I get three options of Power Off, Airplane Mode, and restart. Then the volume goes down to vibrate.

Any other place to choose reset?

Update: Nevermind I found it: Settings, SD & phone storage, Personal data section, Factory data reset.

Might try it tonight.

tim

flyingtiger

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
So far a factory reset is the only way to get past the no-reboot hurdle? OK not going to bother then, what a waste of time...

So, now that it is evident that the patch won't install for many, how long until they release a patch to fix the patch that was suppose to fix the update that was suppose to fix......

Yo dawg, I heard you like...

allthem

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried do all kinds of different thing to get this update to work today, doing a factory reset was the only thing that worked for me. As soon as i activated the phone with verizon the update came to my phone, I did the update before i set up any accounts on the phone, and everything is working fine now.

If anyone is having issues doing factory reset by holding volume down and power button, try removing your battery first, thats the only way it would work for me.

Also i had to do the factory reset about 6 times before the phone would work, so dont give up if it doesnt work the first time.

Bigredcm0

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried do all kinds of different thing to get this update to work today, doing a factory reset was the only thing that worked for me. As soon as i activated the phone with verizon the update came to my phone, I did the update before i set up any accounts on the phone, and everything is working fine now.

If anyone is having issues doing factory reset by holding volume down and power button, try removing your battery first, thats the only way it would work for me.

Also i had to do the factory reset about 6 times before the phone would work, so dont give up if it doesnt work the first time.

Does the factory reset also wipe your pictures? I can't seem to find a method for making sure they're saved on the SD. I assume that means they are.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Does the factory reset also wipe your pictures? I can't seem to find a method for making sure they're saved on the SD. I assume that means they are.

Camera pics are saved to the phone by default and cant just be moved (even with Astron or another file manager). You will need to MMS or Bluetooth them off the phone unfortunately. It's a peculiarity of this version of Sense :(

Bigredcm0

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Have been trying several different methods and I'm thinking the factory reset is my only viable option and just wanted to make sure my pics won't get erased.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Have been trying several different methods and I'm thinking the factory reset is my only viable option and just wanted to make sure my pics won't get erased.

Try clearing the casche (you do this the same way you reboot into recovery with the Vol Down + Power when turning the phone on) before resorting to that. If it does not fix it you can always do the FDR.

hilldk11

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Looks like alot of us got the first large update and the second one failed with a "not enough space" message and now none of the suggested methods are working. Does Verizon have any answers? Has anyone tried contacting their support?

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
well i just did a factory reset. all problems solved. all of my pics and stuff are on sd card anyway, so i was back up and running in <10 minutes.

elchap09

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Been lurking around enjoy reading and learning from you all! Thank you for all your help especially with the GB updates on my Dinc!!! :) Followed the suggestions of clearing the cache and moving my date ahead a year and I now have 4.08 and so far so good! Thank you again!

Reactions: PeninaD