cancelled the OTA message during push, can i get it back?

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
i got the notice for the OTA about 2 days ago. right before it rebooted to update (about 1 second before reboot) i hit cancel so i can make sure and back my files up on my phone and data card. i've rooted my phone and had it majorly fail on me a couple of times so i'm very cautious anymore. to the point where i've spent hours making sure i was back to factory as close as i can, including s-on...

anyway, is there a way i can get the update to be pushed out to me? i'm excited to actually play with gingerbread and hopefully not run into any problems that i can't handle (have froyo ruu just incase).

i've done the *#*#checkin#*#* and also tried to move my date ahead 1 month or back 1 year as described in this post...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...54-those-who-want-second-gb-update-patch.html

any help is much appreciated!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you still rooted? Accepting the GB update will most likely fix the exploit used to gain root access thus you will non longer be rooted.

If you are still rooted and want to stay that way, don't accept the update. Go to the ROM's and Mods HQ in the Rooting Rom's and Hacks section of this forum and find the rooted Gingerbread that came out a month or two ago.

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
i didn't really see a benefit to being rooted. i rooted and tried cyanogen and because of my own stupidity (not having enough room on my sd card to make a backup) i learned the hard way how to fix it if i mess it up. honestly if i can find more reasons to root, i'd be happy to give it another go rooting it, but for now, i'm just looking forward to at least the battery consumption being less from what i've read in GB.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The benefits of being rooted are different for everyone. If you want to load custom ROMS, that's your benefit, if you want to tether on the down low, that's your benefit
and so on and so on.

For me, I first did it to rid myself of needless crap that Verizon stuck on the device like City ID, all the VZ garbage, and even some apps that came from HTC like Teeter (really, does anyone enjoy that "game") and others.

The only way to get better battery life if that is your goal is to root, find a custom ROM or you could stick with stock, and the flash a custom kernel. Just rooting alone won't bring better battery life.

Reactions: jestergod

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
i'd definately root to get rid of the bloatware that vz installs. i tried to research how to do it last time i rooted, but wasn't too successful, but i didn't look too hard... i'm thinking re-root after i update and patch and get rid of as much of it as i can.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If you accept the ota update you more than likely won't be able to root. I believe the OTA GB update has patched the exploit in Froyo that was used to gain root.

If you do re-root before you accept the OTA use Titanium Backup (free version in the market) to uninstall any unwanted bloatware. Fair warning, if you uninstall an app before you've made a backup of it its gone for good. I'd suggest you to an entire app batch backup with titanium THEN start debloating...just in case.

Edit: that last post was directed to jestergod.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I delayed during the Monday push, now despite all efforts (settings>about phone>system update, *#*#checkin#*#*, undoing automatic date and resetting it a year a head), nothing will bring back the update. Ah well, 2.2 might be a good place to be for now.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I delayed during the Monday push, now despite all efforts (settings>about phone>system update, *#*#checkin#*#*, undoing automatic date and resetting it a year a head), nothing will bring back the update. Ah well, 2.2 might be a good place to be for now.

As I understand the 11/15 update has also been halted. They're supposed to commence again within a 2 weeks or something like that.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
As I understand the 11/15 update has also been halted. They're supposed to commence again within a 2 weeks or something like that.

ROFL, wasn't that their story back in September? You know, for the upgrade that we should have seen in July?
:D

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
delayed again??? seriously?

i talked to htc and they told me that the update should be getting pushed about every 72 hours. maybe this is a delay due to that. if so, more should be coming out later. till then i guess i keep trying or i start looking at re-rooting my phone and installing the OTA that way :)

does my phone already have the update downloaded and just waiting for a signal to reboot/install at this point?

big update that is, not the 8.9mb patch.

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
also, thank you everyone for replying to this. i'm looking at if rooting is available after the updates have been applied also. will post if i hear anything.

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
don't think i can right now either, but i'll still keep looking because someone's bound to find another way. i've seen several reports that 2.3.3 has been rooted so there's still hope, maybe not by using unrevoked, but there's still a way.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
delayed again??? seriously?

i talked to htc and they told me that the update should be getting pushed about every 72 hours. maybe this is a delay due to that. if so, more should be coming out later. till then i guess i keep trying or i start looking at re-rooting my phone and installing the OTA that way :)

does my phone already have the update downloaded and just waiting for a signal to reboot/install at this point?

big update that is, not the 8.9mb patch.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-gingerbread-update-getting-pulled-patch.html

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
No problem. A lot of people in this forum are here to help. As long as HTC and Verizon keeps messing up with this update thing, there will be problems. And some may be enough for people to jump ship and leave HTC altogether. HTC and Verizon, get on it!

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
honestly i can't afford another phone so i'm kinda stuck with it, but i'm not upset because i honestly like my phone. i just like playing with new software so i can't wait for gb to come back.

jestergod

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
ok, now i get something odd. i get the update pushed out to me, but the phone won't reboot to install it. it counts down and says rebooting now... and nothing. anyone have any idea? if anything, i can always say screw this update and update using the ruu file on pvillecomp's website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol