Goodbye HTC

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I won't be going back to HTC. I have installed CM7, however, and it's great (much improved battery). If you want a better Sense, but still the same bad battery life, you could try running Skyraider 4.3. I ran that for a few months.

pegleg#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I was zeroing in on the Rezound, but this latest fiasco with HTC has pretty much ruled out paying $300 for their newest product.

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, what are you running that is causing the low memory thing?
I had an Incredible for 2 years and never encountered that. I even rooted and used the Sense 3.5 ROMs that took up all kinds of system resources and never had that happen.
I'm not saying you did anything wrong or anything like that. Just wondering what would create that low memory condition.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
motorola > > > samsung

Motorola has superior call & build quality

Motorola makes JUNK. Wife's D2, we're on the 4th one after cracks and fried boot loaders.....and no rooting involved. Straight junk, just like the original razr. By the way, if you are rooted the new OTA (4.08, not 4.06) seems to have fixed the low space warning for good. It also has been rooted and can be found on XDA

[Rom] Official Inc OTA 4.08.605.2 [Updated:16Nov2011] Its Ready! - xda-developers

This is not an HTC specific problem, as it's happened on other phones as well, and I'm willing to bet it's 90% caused by the Facebook app. If you just clear the Facebook cache, it should go away.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This might not be an HTC specific problem, all I know is most of the people I know that have Android phones have Motorola or Samsung, and they have never had this issue. My wife and I both have the Inc and this has been a big issue for us for a while. If it were as simple as just the Facebook cache I wouldn't complain. I've had to delete App Data in many apps (Internet, TweetDeck, Contacts, Twitter, Exchange, etc) as well as uninstall about 15 apps since the GB update. Not much of a smartphone, if you can't use it for the things you want to use it for.

mikefrombx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. I won't be going back to HTC. I have installed CM7, however, and it's great (much improved battery). If you want a better Sense, but still the same bad battery life, you could try running Skyraider 4.3. I ran that for a few months.

I am running cm7 with setcpu to 800mhz and my battery is amazing. I like the build quality of my incredible so I might buy an HTC phone and then just root the bastard. Either that or a moto with a laptop dock

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
As for the low memory, I had it and my wife had it (she is far from a power user). I had to do a factory reset and full wipe and it didn't come back. I rooted her phone and put on titanium for her apps. She also likes to use tether once in a while in a pinch.

I am running cm7 with setcpu to 800mhz and my battery is amazing. I like the build quality of my incredible so I might buy an HTC phone and then just root the bastard. Either that or a moto with a laptop dock

I forgot about SetCPU. I bought it a while ago and just reinstalled it after you mentioned it.

Magicmixr

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to say its an HTC problem.....with THIS phone. Verizon knows this....and HTC knows this. If Im not mistaken......Facebook is an essential part of the phone......or else it wouldnt have the LINK feature thats INCLUDED with Android. HTC build this for the GOOGLE Android system.....fully aware that Facebook would be on it. This phone was out WAY before Google +.....so it SHOULD have been worked up to include Facebook.

BUT........Facebook isnt the TOTAL issue... Lots of cache causes issues.

Heres my next phone..... I tried HTC and I like the build....but not the support..

Galaxy Nexus review - YouTube

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have to say its an HTC problem.....with THIS phone. Verizon knows this....and HTC knows this. If Im not mistaken......Facebook is an essential part of the phone......or else it wouldnt have the LINK feature thats INCLUDED with Android. HTC build this for the GOOGLE Android system.....fully aware that Facebook would be on it. This phone was out WAY before Google +.....so it SHOULD have been worked up to include Facebook.

BUT........Facebook isnt the TOTAL issue... Lots of cache causes issues.

Heres my next phone..... I tried HTC and I like the build....but not the support..

Galaxy Nexus review - YouTube

Since when is Facebook an "essential" part of this phone. I didn't even use FB on my phone until this past summer and I've had my Inc since launch day (April 2010).

And I'm pretty sure HTC didn't write the FB app...FB did.

Magicmixr

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it included in the setup questions on initial startup of phone?? Is there a LINK option in contacts?

Is it ...along with Twitter pre installed......?..............I guess not.......

No problem....you are right..... ..

Everyone is entitled to make up there own mind. I choose to go to another brand.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Is it included in the setup questions on initial startup of phone?? Is there a LINK option in contacts?

Is it ...along with Twitter pre installed......?..............I guess not.......

No problem....you are right..... ..

Everyone is entitled to make up there own mind. I choose to go to another brand.

Hey "Teeter" is pre-installed also but I wouldn't exactly call it "essential."

I'm not dissing your choice to try another manufacturer, just saying perhaps the issue isn't entirely HTC's fault. For the record I've never had the "Low Memory" warning and I've had tons of apps, used dozens of ROMs including several Sense 3.5 ROM's that hog memory like champ.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This is an android problem that is more visible with HTC than other android phones. If you have a 16 gig iphone you have 16 gigs period. That is 16 gigs for music, apps and videos. With android if you have 16 gigs you don't have 16gigs. The problem is that the memory is partitioned. some of the 16gigs is for app, some for this and some for that. It is all broken up. So if one partition is full even though there is lots of space else where thats it.
The low memory errors stems from a section of memory called data/data which is 150megs max. Even though your phone may have 99999999999gigs of memory if that 150megs is full thats it you can't do jack. The data/data folder is used for app data and cache, so the walk around is to clear cache and data from your apps periodically. This space fills up faster with HTC phones because HTC apps uses the data/data folder a lot. App developers can design apps not to use much of this space, so app developers need to be aware of this.
The ultimate fix is for google to get rid of the partitions. If a phone has 16gig is should have 16gigs period. There shouldn't be yes your phone kinda has 16gigs but there is only one gig of app storage and there is this data/data that is a ridiculously small 150megs that will gives issues of error messages and can cripple phones. I hope google fixed this with ICS. No user geeks or casual users should have to worry about a 150meg partition period.

BTW: My phone is rooted mostly so I can micro manage the data/data folder. If I have 10 gigs free I should have 10 gigs free for all things, music, photos, apps and app data and cache.

Last edited:

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a problem with older android phones. Why would you skip new htc phones just because of this? what specifically would be a dealbreaker with a new htc phone that makes you avoid it? I seriously don't understand

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ngc457 for your enlightened view. It's really helped me better understand how my Dinc works and why it is so important to regularly clear the cache.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463