How Long does it take your Gmail Mail Push?

Eugd

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It seams that It is a good 8-10 minutes for the gmail to push to the Incredible? I thought it would be quicker, I have a 30 minute set for the other emails. When I first got it, it was 1-2 minutes but now much longer?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Push doesn't necessarily mean instant. It just means that the mail server delivers it to you instead of you pooling the mail server for messages. From my understanding depending on your order in the mail server when the mail was received etc, it could be from 1-50 minutes. I normally get mine within seconds though. I've had a few emails that it took 2-3 minutes.

If you need your mails any quicker than that you should have gotten a blackberry!

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I often get mine before it goes to my laptop. I.E., instantly.

Same here. There was a day where I'd only get it when HTC's mail app checked, and my GMail app had to be manually refreshed. I ended up disabling imap, clearing my app data in gmail's app, then re-enabling imap and it was working after that.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup same here. Maybe it has something to do with routing between the account you have sent it from. Sometimes, our work email servers, if receiving/sending a batch of emails will take a time out so that it doesn't get blacklisted off the network for spamming plus to control network usage. Maybe your email has just been cached to be sent out on the next timed interval so it took longer.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Push doesn't necessarily mean instant. It just means that the mail server delivers it to you instead of you pooling the mail server for messages. From my understanding depending on your order in the mail server when the mail was received etc, it could be from 1-50 minutes. I normally get mine within seconds though. I've had a few emails that it took 2-3 minutes.

If you need your mails any quicker than that you should have gotten a blackberry!

True. Although typically "push" notifications are instant, hence no need to set a sync interval. As someone that is constantly on the go, I'd be mad if I got an important e-mail 1 hour later:confused:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well actually, my friends Palm Pre[Plus] gets mail from ANY vendor, Google, Yahoo, MSN etc... any vendor instantly with push.

Um ok? And so does my Blackberry and Android phone you just got to understand how it works and how to set it all up depending on what phone you got.

Eugd

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I disabled it, because it was part of the battery life fix, I will enable it to see if it speeds up the process. thanks for the input.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I disabled it, because it was part of the battery life fix, I will enable it to see if it speeds up the process. thanks for the input.

Push notifications shouldn't affect your battery that much as it is NOT syncing. It's sort of like SMS messages("push" notifications as well). This will not affect your battery life in any way. I'd turn it back on if I were you as you're just negatively affect your experience with the phone and dumbing down the features.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications shouldn't affect your battery that much as it is NOT syncing..

Agreed. I ran my INC for a day with it off, checking the drain in Battery Left and then for a dat with it on. My activity was pretty much the same each day. There was almost no difference in my battery use. I have calibrated Battery Left and verified that I get 15.5 hours or so before battery shut down just like BL says.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood