If it's not one thing, it's another with this "Incredible"

G

GenericMessage

I am sure its a fluke.

I cannot tell you how many times I have replaced each and every one of my phones.

When you produce 500,000 things, 1 of them is bound to be wonky

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Did you install Handcent when you first got the phone like in the parking lot when this all happened? If so Sounds like Handcent might be causing the problem.

Nope. Handcent was later after I saw people talking about it in this forum. I'm keeping it uninstalled for now. Though, I'm sure the phone will keep finding issues.

Heavy texting is my main use, so it's unfortuante I can't have a good app for it.

Factory reset today.

I REALLY want this phone to work out.

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
If this doesn't work get a new one from Verizon. You only have 30 Days to get a new one before they send you a refurbished as a replacement.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OH, OH, and just tonight, a new text came in while I was typing another. So, closed out of it. It popped a message saying Handcent was going to discard it b/c it didn't have a recipient yet. I clicked just that 1 okay button (if that...can't remember), and next thing I know ENTIRE INBOX WAS EMPTY AGAIN. Lost all the texts AGAIN in the same day.

So, then uninstalled Handcent and tried to restore texts with My Backup Pro... failed. gave me some error message. Only left one text in my box from "Anonymous" that wouldn't open.

IT'S NON-STOP. OMG

Hmmm maybe stop using that app.

I have had none of these issues so it must be your phone, or as we see above, the apps that you are installing.

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The deleted texts issue probably is handcent. Who knows on others. I really have downloaded less than 10 apps and most are mainstream ones like SlideIt and My Backup Pro.

BTW, going through my phone storage to back some stuff up before doing a factory reset. I remember being able to see two drives on the Incredible when I connected to laptop with USB. Now I only see the external memory drive... sigh

I'll call Verizon...

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'll call Verizon...

I'm glad you called. I just went through the replacement process, but I (politely) demanded a "new" replacement in-person at the VZW store. The new phone arrived in a brown box, but it is new. And, fortunately, I have not found a problem with the replacement yet.

What I wanted to say, though, is that I honestly believe the early supply of these Incs had a bad batch mixed in. Some of us just have to help weed out the crap -- it's a headache, but once you get a good Inc, I think you'll be happy. :)

---

When you get the replacement Inc, check the phone's refurb status:

##778 > View Mode > Display

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Ha, and the latest thing. After my factory reset, tried restoring with My Backup Pro (only program I had installed after the reset at this point).

It indefinitely keeps asking me that 658 contacts will be deleted from google. I keep okaying it to delete (like the application instructions said to do...once), but every few minutes it pops up again, which the number of contacts being maybe 8 or 10 fewer.

And why does the program want to delete contacts from Google in order to restore? I don't see those extra 600+ phone contacts when I sign onto Gmail...just my 800 gmail contacts. Yet, when I go People --> View, it shows 0 phone contacts and 1400+ Google contacts, as if it's google that has my phone contacts. Does it just store them somewhere? And if so why couldn't I restore them from there instead of needing this backup software...

Plus, the whole 'my mac can't see my internal memory drive anymore' problem...

Seriously, it's 70% damage control and problem-solving with my phone. Really hope my new one works...cause I really like the phone!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google stores your contacts in the cloud (over the internet) if they aren't phone only contacts. If you login to gmail and see them there, then just sync it with Google.

As far as the restore "do you want to delete" prompts every few minutes, it's probably due to the number of contacts you have. 800 contacts honestly? Dude that's insane....I have like 100 contacts and that's it and I thought I had a bunch. Of course my customer contacts are not in my phone, if I did that I would have a ton more.....wow.

jharnisch

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Handcent was later after I saw people talking about it in this forum. I'm keeping it uninstalled for now. Though, I'm sure the phone will keep finding issues.

Heavy texting is my main use, so it's unfortuante I can't have a good app for it.

Factory reset today.

I REALLY want this phone to work out.

By chance, do you have a task killer installed? I have Handcent and I had Advanced Task Killer installed and Handcent kept crashing and I lost all my texts. I uninstalled ATK and have not had one problem since.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It wants to delete them so you do not get duplicates once it restores the backup.

Ha, and the latest thing. After my factory reset, tried restoring with My Backup Pro (only program I had installed after the reset at this point).

It indefinitely keeps asking me that 658 contacts will be deleted from google. I keep okaying it to delete (like the application instructions said to do...once), but every few minutes it pops up again, which the number of contacts being maybe 8 or 10 fewer.

And why does the program want to delete contacts from Google in order to restore? I don't see those extra 600+ phone contacts when I sign onto Gmail...just my 800 gmail contacts. Yet, when I go People --> View, it shows 0 phone contacts and 1400+ Google contacts, as if it's google that has my phone contacts. Does it just store them somewhere? And if so why couldn't I restore them from there instead of needing this backup software...

Plus, the whole 'my mac can't see my internal memory drive anymore' problem...

Seriously, it's 70% damage control and problem-solving with my phone. Really hope my new one works...cause I really like the phone!

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I used to have a task killer, but uninstalled it about a week ago.

Yeah, lots of phone contacts, though many of them for work. All our different offices and a bunch of coworkers.

OH, the 800 Google contacts? That's because the Incredible Sync or Backup Pro, one of them somehow turned ALL CONTACTS (anyone who I've emailed) into MY CONTACTS (people I intentionally entered in).

At the same time it removed all my groups. So now I have hundreds of unorganized contacts and don't know where they're from. Sigh....irrecoverable...I'll probably end up having to delete. These (the 300 or so work My Contacts) were largely networking opportunities and career contacts. PLUS, they're mixed in with All Contacts now.

Wonder when it'll kick me in the balls next...I'm going to the retailer tomorrow.

anon(12001)

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had my Incredible since May 15th. Loved it til Monday, 6/28, when the speaker became a kazoo, when I turned it on, that morning. I don't 'crank' it, or have anything odd sound wise, but, it sounds horrible. It could be software, since I had 3, yes, 3, Eris's, and the same thing happened. Could it be an app that is affecting the speaker? A friends son works for Verizon. I have known him all his life, and, when I talked to him, he pulled me to one side, and told me that he had been told it's a software problem on the Incredible. He wouldn't lie to me. anyone else heard that one? I thought I would do a hard reset and see if that happened, since it's my 4th HTC phone to do this in 4 months. any suggestions?
Thanks!

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I gotta say I was really happy about the Incredible initially, despite the common problems, but it's getting too much.

Battery problems - sometimes the fixes on here work, sometimes it'll still use up battery in 4 hours, despite not changing anything.

Software related, but deleted all my texts, then backup program couldn't restore. Had to uninstall messaging software. restore. then reinstall

Keeps flipping to first screen to the right of the home screen by itself.

WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT PHONE, IT RESENT OLD TEXT MESSAGES, BUT TO THE RANDOM PEOPLE. This could have gotten me fired. Incredible violation of privacy.

FM Radio program no longer lets me scroll frequencies or press buttons (despite a restart). Just plays that one station.

And now no one can hear what me talking on the other end, despite 3 bars of service.

*** It's like it just won't let me enjoy the phone.

And even if there's fixes out there, it shouldn't be this hard for an average user to enjoy all the features should it?

I really understand your frustration. I actually want my phone to be a phone first, then do the "incredible" stuff...

I had call reception issues when I first got my phone - voices cutting in and out (my and my callers') and poor audio quality. I guess I'm lucky that I "only" experienced my call problems, instead of all the other flipping screen, texting, etc., problems you're experiencing.

I get about 12 hours a day battery usage by having the screen timeout at 1 minute, turning off <enable mobile networks> and turning wifi on and leaving it on, even when I am not on a wireless network.

For better call reception, I tried to update roaming by *228, option 2 and a soft reset by removing the battery. Trying those two things helped somewhat, but not entirely.

I went to the HTC support forum for the DInc and found another suggestion to improve call quality that helped me. You might want to try it, but please understand, this suggestion has had mixed success. However, if it doesn't work, you can revert your phone to the way it was:

Dial ##778
Go to <Edit>
Enter <0000000> for the code
Go to <CDMA Settings>
Change HOME PAGE, ORIG, & ROAM to <EVRC-B>
Go to <MENU>
Choose <COMMIT>

I hope this helps with the reception. I would do the steps above, then a soft reset.

As I said, if you find there is no improvement, you can go through the same steps outlined above to revert your phone back to the original setting of EVRC.

Maybe you've tried this stuff before, maybe not. If not, I really hope some or all of these suggestions help.