concerning mail....i am confusing myself....

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading on here and am getting confused. What is the difference between accessing gmail via the htc widget versus using the gmail button?

I use yahoo but it will not work with wifi on so i forward it to a gmail account cuz i thought it was being pushed. Now i read only the gmail app does that but not with wifi on?

I had my accounts set to delete off server but gmail is not doing that....via setup on htc widget.

Help!!!!!

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I only use the gmail app. All my email accounts forward into that. And I use wifi rather than 3g when I am in my house and get automatic email updates, so maybe its an issue with your wifi?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Gmail is pushed via the Gmail app only. And the connection doesnt matter, it pushes on wifi just the same as 3G. You have got a setting messed up somewhere if it doesnt

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
they are two completely different apps.

gmail app will push

HTC app does not PUSH at all (only polls)

I found the "delete of server" setting to be questionable at best (in my case it was deleting mail it shouldn't have been.)

A quick recap:

Gmail app
1. supports PUSH via IMAP idle
2. no attachment handling
3. other services would need to be forwarded to gmail accounts

HTC app
1. no PUSH support
2. can handle yahoo (but not over wifi) and "normal" pop3 accounts
3. better attachment handling

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
"no attachment handling"

Now I'm confused. I thought I was all set whenever (if ever) I get my phone. All email accounts are set through gmail.

What do you mean by "no attachment handling"? Are they stripped or something? Please clarify.

mattwill

May 6, 2010
Visit site
"I use yahoo but it will not work with wifi on so i forward it to a gmail account cuz i thought it was being pushed. Now i read only the gmail app does that but not with wifi on?"

...and I have a yahoo account that i keep getting login failed when i am on wi-fi. Is this true?

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The answer to most email issues is K-9. It handles all email types, has an integrated Inbox and does a great job with attachments. Try it free from the Market but then Google to the K-9 site from your INC and get the latest version. K-9 is light years a head of the native email apps.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What i ended up doing was deleting my gmail for use thru the HTC app and just using it via the actual gmail app. It is working fine with wifi. It is kind of a weird set up though and i am unsure if the mail i delete from my phone is being deleted from my actual gmail inbox....will have to jump on the laptop and see.

As for the attachment thing, this is first i knew about that. Guess i will take a peek at k-9.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams