So after a million problems with my incredible (resetting, blank text messages from dec 31st 1969, with a phone # of 1234567890, random thumbnails showing up in my pictures, duplicate contatcs, etc) VZW is sending me a "new" phone. But the email I got lead me to believe I was getting a used unit. Anybody know what this means? Email below.

Subject: Information regarding your replacement device.

"The information below will help you set up and activate your Certified Like-New Replacement phone."

SO...what the heck is going on? Certified Like New? I want a NEW phone which I paid a lot of money for in the first place. Not some used/refurbished P.O.S.
    05-22-2010 01:12 PM
    They have to say that, that doesn't mean you are actually getting a refurbished phone, especially when they are talking about a phone that was released less than a month ago.
    05-22-2010 01:15 PM
    Exactly as stated above. The phone was released what 3 weeks ago? You will probably get a new phone it just won't have the battery and door.
    05-22-2010 01:50 PM
    The rep did tell me that if the phone doesn't come with a battery and back attachment then its refurbished. I guess I'll just send it back saying that not acceptable. Call me stuck up about it, but I bought it new on release day and since I have to return it, I expect to get a NEW phone as a replacement.
    05-22-2010 01:56 PM
    the refurbs are just as good if not better than the new phones most times. they actually go thru better quality control than new ones
    izzyncade likes this.
    05-22-2010 02:08 PM
    The rep did tell me that if the phone doesn't come with a battery and back attachment then its refurbished. I guess I'll just send it back saying that not acceptable. Call me stuck up about it, but I bought it new on release day and since I have to return it, I expect to get a NEW phone as a replacement.
    Ok Stuck-up,then you get to wait for a new phone like every one else. Or call HTC.
    05-22-2010 02:16 PM
    I feel ya. But I'd worry about the replacements reliability instead of whether its new it refurbished. As you have experienced, newer doesn't always mean better.
    05-22-2010 02:19 PM
    the refurbs are just as good if not better than the new phones most times. they actually go thru better quality control than new ones
    I would agree with this. However, I also feel for the OP as he did pay for a new phone.
    05-22-2010 02:21 PM
    +1

+2 for not worrying one way or the other about it with the Inc. I doubt there are any refurbs to send you,
    05-22-2010 02:38 PM
    You still have the one year contract, regardless. As stated above, they probably don't have any refurbs to send out yet.

On a related note, I wonder how many touch screen phones people burn though in the first year, on average. I went had 5 Storm 1s in the first year, which was not uncommon for an S1. I have heard some similar stories about iPhones. Not sure about Android. Should we expect to go through two or three in the first year?
    05-22-2010 07:57 PM
    I just got a "new" replacement. It came in a brown box, but it is new.
    Before you return the phone, highly recommend that you check the 'refurb' status within the phone:

##778 > View Mode > Display

P.S.: after 2 days, the new Inc has still been perfect in every way. Glad I replaced it.
    05-22-2010 08:22 PM
    Thanks, that great info. Will it have a date for when it was refurbished if it is a refurb?
    05-23-2010 09:56 AM
    Thanks, that great info. Will it have a date for when it was refurbished if it is a refurb?
    Once you go to ##778 > View Mode > Display, there are 2 categories listed on that screen that have to do with Refurbishment status. I'd imagine a true refurb will have a date or some other information below those categories.

My phone lists only <Not available>, & I see no other flaws or defects with the phone (no scratches, no dents, etc.). So, I do believe this thing turned out to be new.

I read elsewhere that the manufacturer would always provide VZW a percentage of new phones for replacement needs. I'm sure these phones in brown boxes are from that collection.
    05-23-2010 11:56 AM
    Good point!
    05-23-2010 02:49 PM
    In case anyone was wondering, I got the replacement phone. It came with back but no battery. Once I boot it up I'll figure out if it is a refurb. I still stand by my opinion that it's BS on VZW's part to let someone pay for a new phone, but when it breaks send them a "new used" phone. Thats like paying for a brand new car but getting one with a 1,000 miles on it.
    05-25-2010 02:13 PM
    In case anyone was wondering, I got the replacement phone. It came with back but no battery. Once I boot it up I'll figure out if it is a refurb. I still stand by my opinion that it's BS on VZW's part to let someone pay for a new phone, but when it breaks send them a "new used" phone. Thats like paying for a brand new car but getting one with a 1,000 miles on it.
    Then if you don't like the warranty options from VzW go to HTC and have them fix/replace your phone.
    05-25-2010 02:16 PM
    You didn't pay for a new phone. You paid less than half of retail price for the phone. Verizon flipped the bill for the rest. Like it or not, they have power and final say here, as they subsidized most of the phone's price.
    05-25-2010 02:24 PM
    If you see <Not available> under the two headings for "Refurbishment" once you go to this screen: ##778 > View Mode > Display, you probably don't even have a refurb.

My replacement has been pretty much perfect compared to my original device. I hope you get the same results.
    05-25-2010 02:34 PM
    I got a <Not Available> so thats good although the screen started scrolling to the left randomly, maybe its because I still haven't taken off the protective screen that comes with it. Thanks for the info TBolt.
    05-25-2010 02:46 PM
    I got a <Not Available> so thats good although the screen started scrolling to the left randomly, maybe its because I still haven't taken off the protective screen that comes with it. Thanks for the info TBolt.
    Has the scrolling continued? If so, I'm concerned that your new phone has the same bug.

Out of curiosity, what are the manufacture dates on each phone? That info is available on the same ##778... screen.

My 1st phone: 4/16 (problem)
    My 2nd phone: 5/2 (no problem)
    05-26-2010 03:56 AM
    So after a million problems with my incredible (resetting, blank text messages from dec 31st 1969, with a phone # of 1234567890, random thumbnails showing up in my pictures, duplicate contatcs, etc) VZW is sending me a "new" phone. But the email I got lead me to believe I was getting a used unit. Anybody know what this means? Email below.

Subject: Information regarding your replacement device.

"The information below will help you set up and activate your Certified Like-New Replacement phone."

SO...what the heck is going on? Certified Like New? I want a NEW phone which I paid a lot of money for in the first place. Not some used/refurbished P.O.S.
    You definately got a lemon there, that's no doubt. But whether it's refurbished or not, I don't see that it really matters, if it works like a new one, looks like a new one, and all your problems are solved.
    05-26-2010 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD