Gmail push notifications no longer working

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm generally very pleased with the GB / 4.08 updates. However, I've noticed that Gmail push notifications are no longer working on my device. The only way I learn of new mail is to open the Gmail app and then select Refresh from the menu; then all of the new messages appear. I'm not experiencing any 'low memory' warnings. Anyone else experiencing this since installing 4.08? Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem? (I had to use the 'Wipe cache partition' method before the 4.08 update would install.)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm generally very pleased with the GB / 4.08 updates. However, I've noticed that Gmail push notifications are no longer working on my device. The only way I learn of new mail is to open the Gmail app and then select Refresh from the menu; then all of the new messages appear. I'm not experiencing any 'low memory' warnings. Anyone else experiencing this since installing 4.08? Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem? (I had to use the 'Wipe cache partition' method before the 4.08 update would install.)

You could try uninstalling Gmail, then reinstalling it by downloading it from the market. Occasionally I have a similar issue and this fixes it 95% of the time...the other 5% is just a reboot.

knaw nivek

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. Push notifications seem to come and go. I get them for about 8 hours and then I don't see them and have to manually refresh for days. This occurs both for both Droid Incredibles in my household, both have the 4.08 update.

I reinstalled the app and that helped for maybe 4 hours. I would be interested in any solutions as well.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I deleted a few unnecessary apps. Since then, Gmail push notifications are working again.

Prior to GB, my push notifications would stop whenever the 'low memory' warning appeared; I wonder if they simply masked the warning that results in push notifications failing? (rather than resolving the problem that causes it to fail under what they consider to be 'low memory conditions')

FWIW, according to Quick Settings (an invaluable app, IMO), my "Phone free" value is currently 62% / 465MB.

anon(448477)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.06 and seeing the same problem suddenly as of about 1 week ago. I found another thread that suggested removing the GMail update so I did that, but nothing changed.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. It'll work for a couple of hours, then I have to hit the refresh button for a day or so. I can have my Xoom (WiFi) sitting next to my Incredible and the Xoom gets new mail while the phone doesn't (and both are connected to the same WiFi network).

I'm going to try getting rid of some apps I don't really use. This is really annoying...

EDIT: So I uninstalled a couple of apps, and moved everything I could over to the SD card. Sent myself a test email... Nothing... :-(

Last edited:

lparsons

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site

I had the same problem and I was able to fix it (at least for now), but clearing the Gmail application data. WARNING - this will remove your Gmail preferences (but not your mail) so you'll have to setup notifications, inbox preferences, etc. again.

Go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All. Select Gmail and push the "Clear Data" button.

Good luck.

g00dhum0r

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Same here, but I cleared application data and so far it has been working fine. Its only been 1 day though but i hope it doesnt stop notifications again.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I cleared app data for Gmail and I'm getting notifications now. (sent a test email from my work address and almost immediatly got a notification)

Hope I don't have to do this on a regular basis.

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, according to Quick Settings (an invaluable app, IMO), my "Phone free" value is currently 62% / 465MB.

"Phone free" refers to the /emmc data partition, which is the internal, user memory area of the phone. The low space error is for the /data/data partition (150 MB total), which isn't visible unless you are rooted. Quoting your "Phone free" space is of little use when discussing potential low space errors.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i had the same problem after the major OS update.

a factory reset erase wipe then a manual re-sync (not a "restore" from a backup app) fixed it for me on my HTC EVO 4G.

i know it's a PIA but it allows your device to start from a fresh point.

make sure all of your data is synced/saved and then do a complete device wipe back to the factory state and then MANUALLY re-install and re-sync everything. DO NOT restore from a backup app. start fresh.

the Gmail "clear cache/clear data" is only a temporary fix - the push problem will come back shortly. the factory reset is a permanent fix.

let us know how it works.

good luck!

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
"Phone free" refers to the /emmc data partition, which is the internal, user memory area of the phone. The low space error is for the /data/data partition (150 MB total), which isn't visible unless you are rooted. Quoting your "Phone free" space is of little use when discussing potential low space errors.

Good to know; thanks. So my uninstalling applications must have freed up some space in the /data/data partition. Too bad there's not an easier way to determine the affect of doing that.

PolynesianMedic

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Jakson, the cause of this as already mentioned is the memory getting too full, even though it really isn't. I have come to the conclusion that it is a glitch in the programming. However, since this phone has now reached end of life for the most part, everyone that was here has moved on to other devices. The best fix for this remains, to either remove other unused apps, or remove gmail and reinstall it.

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. I have to go into Gmail and hit Menu-->Refresh to get my mail to synch. I just now cleared the data from Gmail (Settings-->Appslications-->Manage Applications-->Gmail-->Clear Data) and it did start working. We'll see how long it lasts.

TrackSmart

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
For those who are searching the internet, this fixed the problem for me (Droid Incredible).
The problem is that the HTC Mail application had somehow been reset to the default email application. Here's how to fix it:

1) Go to: Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> App associations --> Email address
2) Now set "Open Email address with" to Gmail instead of Mail

Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol