Why does this phone have so many problems?

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey every one,

I order my incredible May 15th and I'm patiently waiting for my phone to ship from Verizon, so in the mean time I've been reading the forums.

But I keep hearing of all these problems with the incredible and it's making me a little nervous here and I don't even have it. :D

Battery life is a given, so I ordered a 1750 mah extended battery while I wait for my phone.

Next I'm seeing people discuss on how to charge the phone. Really? really?

Now this phone has poor cell phone reception? This is a cell phone I would think this should be #1.

Some blue tooth devices not working. I find that a little odd.

Battery door is creaky.

Battery get's way to hot.

I'm not looking into rehashing every thing from what I just listed, but am I being paranoid? Or is what happens with all smart phones when they first come out? I've never owned one so I'm new to this game. Just curious what you all thought.

Bigk:)

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
At least in my experience, every smartphone that comes out initially has some quirks. For example, ask anyone here about BlackBerry Storm 1, or go check out the old threads on that phone on the CrackBerry forums. That thing was a POS when it launched. Laggy performance, lousy memory management, daily battery pulls just to fix it from freezing up. It took them over a year to get an os that VZW could publish that would really make it work pretty much like it's supposed to (and that's stretching it a good bit), though it has never lived up to its original hype. But I digress.

You've got the 30 day trial period, so your best bet is to get the phone and see how it performs for you. Some will depend on your signal strength where you live, what apps you put on it, how much you use it, and so on.

All that said, I think you're getting the best phone you can possibly get on Verizon right now. Give it a workout once you get it, and check back here to search the forums and ask questions if you run across any problems. What's great for you might be a pain in the *** for someone else, and vice versa. All in all, just from playing with a demo in the store, I think you will be very pleased.

Last edited:

izzyncade

Master of the Universe
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I try to think of it this way... yes there are going to be problems with the phone, there always is.... but think about how many DIncs there are out there and how little the amount of complaints are on here... I know not ever Droid owner is automatically going to come here to complain, but I would like hold out some hope that this phone is the sh!t compared to the storm 1 and storm 2 that I have suffered through....at my own fault I will add....

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm not looking into rehashing every thing from what I just listed, but am I being paranoid? Or is what happens with all smart phones when they first come out? I've never owned one so I'm new to this game. Just curious what you all thought.

Bigk:)

Yes, your paranoid. Everyone nitpicks about every little "problem" that arises, it happens on the forums with every major phone release.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible/13606-satisfaction-poll-please-vote.html

So far 95% of the 100+ responses in the above poll indicate that they are satisfied with their Inc.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
my battery doesnt get hot
battery door doesnt creak
works on my bluetooth
the battery charging issues seemed to have gone away for me after about 2 weeks with the 1750 and normal charging procedure.

So there you go, not many people post about a device that works as it should, look how dumb i would sound if i started a thread to say the above....

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
My battery gets a little warm if I really use the device hard.
My battery door doenst creak at all.
My bluetooth works fine.
My battery lasts well into the evening now that I use my wireless connection at home.

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My guess is this is the first phone you have researched like this too. Every phone has its fanboys who defend everything on it, and its neighsayers who complain about everything. Its hands down the best phone I have ever used. Is it perfect- no, but its about as close as your going to get on the VZW network. Id take it over an Iphoney anyday.

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had one problem with a little piece you can't really see (just above the charger port) breaking. I love the phone and it's been working great. Most people don't post over and over again "hey, no problems here!" :)

TexasDroid

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
"The squeaky wheel always gets the grease."

Those who have no complaints do not start threads saying that they have no complaints.

I received my INC on 4-29. Since then I have experienced:
No battery pulls
No random reboots
No freeze ups
No overheated battery
Perfect bluetooth integration
No camera shut downs
No "creaky" battery door
No call quality issues

In fact, contrary to the accounts of problems from other members, I have not had a single issue with this phone.

Now, about the battery.

This has a 1ghz processor. A 3.7 inch bright, vibrant color screen. 8mp camera. GPS. MP3 player. WiFi. etc.... And of course its a phone. All of which is in a package less than .5 inch thick.

Sure, more battery life would be nice, but at what sacrifice. Which features would you dump to get an extra couple hours out of each charge? Maybe make the phone thicker, heavier, and bulkier? Or just pick up extra chargers like I did. 2 Motorola P513's, one for each car and another microUSB for the office. I bought them all from amazon for 26.xx shipped.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Aside from the battery instantly losing 6% when I take it off my charger, I've had no issues with this phone. It's absolutely great, and if I can just get this battery issue narrowed down it would be perfect. Not that it's killing me - I still have at least usually 24 hours of battery life with the 1750 mAh battery - but it just bugs me and I want to know why my battery loses life so quickly after I first take it off the charger.

Kainz15

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having problems with any of these things actually. For now, I'm using the stock battery, (waiting for the Seidio battery to come) - but the stock battery is working fine and lasting a whole day for me with ease. My bluetooth seems to be working fine, and I'm not having any problems with the battery door or the heat. Maybe I just got a good phone, but as previous posters have said, there are always these "problems" with any major phone release. Good luck!

rofsilk

May 10, 2010
Visit site
A little insulting to hear all the comments about newcomers to the Droid coming off Blackberry and deemed as unintelligent on how to use a smart phone. That's the big problem with the Inc. One shouldn't have to require advance degrees to learn how to use a phone. This is one of many reasons why the iphone is so successful.

Now, back to me. Received my Droid on 4/29 and have less than full satisfaction with it. There are tons of problems. I dont complain about battery life coz I take it as a given. Other problems, however, are not acceptable. I am, to this day, still suffering from random reboots (last Friday, 5/21, this phone sat on my desk at work and in a span of about 4hrs it rebooted seven, yes 7, times with no use at all and nearly fully charged. I've been on the phone with Verizon 3x since I received my phone because of the constant reboots.

For such a high end phone, voice quality is really less than stellar, device gets frozen, and so far had to do a factory reset twice already.

Full disclosure: Had a corporate BB for 7 years (various models last one being the bold); Other high end personal phones, the Tilt (modded over at XDA) and a T-Mo Touch Pro2 (TP2).

The incredible is really a bit less than impressive IMHO

theaustins513

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the battery instantly losing 6% when I take it off my charger, I've had no issues with this phone. It's absolutely great, and if I can just get this battery issue narrowed down it would be perfect. Not that it's killing me - I still have at least usually 24 hours of battery life with the 1750 mAh battery - but it just bugs me and I want to know why my battery loses life so quickly after I first take it off the charger.

I was frustrated with the battery life issue at first also. I have had my INC since 4/29 and I have found that the 3G signal uses the majority of the battery! I run alot of apps and I use the phone to connect over a VPN often. Using WIFI while I'm at home and at work allows me to go two days without charging (with minimal usage), but usually it allows me to make it through the day and into the evening without needing to plug it into a charger. This is an Android Device, not a BB, so it is geared more towards the everyday user but with the right setup, works great for the business user also! Alot of the apps and Android OS software uses more data than the BB's which is why the 3G signal sucks the battery life out of the phone. It didn't make since to me at first but after trying the WIFI for a few days it works great. I recommend that you use the WIFI as much as possible and set it to never sleep in the settings and see for yourself.

DroidChopper1

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I promise you that a majority of the people out there that have Droid Incredibles have little to NO issues. The people posting in this forum are usually driven to doing it for some reason (ie; issues).

Some of you need to realize that your reboot issues and other issues are exceptions to the rule, not the opposite.

I do hope that the few of you that DO have issues get them resolved successfully so that you can enjoy your phone like I've been able to do since day one with my Incredible.

If you can't, go get another one. Pretty simple. If you feel that you need some sort of advanced degree, well that's pretty sad and you should immediately hunt down your old Blackberry or find you a good ol' snappy clamshell.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I was frustrated with the battery life issue at first also. I have had my INC since 4/29 and I have found that the 3G signal uses the majority of the battery! I run alot of apps and I use the phone to connect over a VPN often. Using WIFI while I'm at home and at work allows me to go two days without charging (with minimal usage), but usually it allows me to make it through the day and into the evening without needing to plug it into a charger. This is an Android Device, not a BB, so it is geared more towards the everyday user but with the right setup, works great for the business user also! Alot of the apps and Android OS software uses more data than the BB's which is why the 3G signal sucks the battery life out of the phone. It didn't make since to me at first but after trying the WIFI for a few days it works great. I recommend that you use the WIFI as much as possible and set it to never sleep in the settings and see for yourself.

Yep, already have the Wifi set like that. Like I said though, I don't have any complaints about my battery life - I usually take it off the charger at around 8am, and when I leave work at 5pm I still have 70% battery left.

My only issue was that it loses 6% immediately after I take it off the charger. Yes, I can maximize it using the "bump charging" method but that's not feasible on a daily basis. Also, I've found that when my phone is at 100% the battery is running at slightly over 4200 mV, which I read on here is NOT good for the overall life of the battery.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
A little insulting to hear all the comments about newcomers to the Droid coming off Blackberry and deemed as unintelligent on how to use a smart phone. That's the big problem with the Inc. One shouldn't have to require advance degrees to learn how to use a phone. This is one of many reasons why the iphone is so successful.

Now, back to me. Received my Droid on 4/29 and have less than full satisfaction with it. There are tons of problems. I dont complain about battery life coz I take it as a given. Other problems, however, are not acceptable. I am, to this day, still suffering from random reboots (last Friday, 5/21, this phone sat on my desk at work and in a span of about 4hrs it rebooted seven, yes 7, times with no use at all and nearly fully charged. I've been on the phone with Verizon 3x since I received my phone because of the constant reboots.

For such a high end phone, voice quality is really less than stellar, device gets frozen, and so far had to do a factory reset twice already.

Full disclosure: Had a corporate BB for 7 years (various models last one being the bold); Other high end personal phones, the Tilt (modded over at XDA) and a T-Mo Touch Pro2 (TP2).

The incredible is really a bit less than impressive IMHO

with the 95% satisfaction rate, I would say you have a lemon...

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
"The squeaky wheel always gets the grease."

Those who have no complaints do not start threads saying that they have no complaints.

I received my INC on 4-29. Since then I have experienced:
No battery pulls
No random reboots
No freeze ups
No overheated battery
Perfect bluetooth integration
No camera shut downs
No "creaky" battery door
No call quality issues

In fact, contrary to the accounts of problems from other members, I have not had a single issue with this phone.

Now, about the battery.

This has a 1ghz processor. A 3.7 inch bright, vibrant color screen. 8mp camera. GPS. MP3 player. WiFi. etc.... And of course its a phone. All of which is in a package less than .5 inch thick.

Sure, more battery life would be nice, but at what sacrifice. Which features would you dump to get an extra couple hours out of each charge? Maybe make the phone thicker, heavier, and bulkier? Or just pick up extra chargers like I did. 2 Motorola P513's, one for each car and another microUSB for the office. I bought them all from amazon for 26.xx shipped.

What ^he^ said. Except for battery issues, which are pretty much in line with every smartphone I've ever had, the DI is an EXCELLENT device.

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone and I think it is much more intuitive and easier to use than my BB was. It's certainly more problem free and enjoyable . You'll have 30 days to decide for yourself whether it's a problematic phone or not, so you really have nothing to fear about getting one.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49