so it's decision time

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I have about 10 days left to decide if I will keep it or return it and get an evo.

It wouldn't even be a question if it wasn't for the battery life / reception issue.

Do you guys think the reception issue is just something we are going to have to live with or will they fix it ?

Got stuck with a phone on Verizon once before that had horrible call quality and don't want to go down that road again especially now with the 350 dollar etf.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with reception issue. The battery life is really what you make it of. I have many things running but still am able to get a full days worth of use.

Edit: Just for the record, if you're leaving VZW for an inferior coverage carrier, how do you know that the reception issue won't still be exactly the same or possibly worse? I do not know a single soul that says Sprint has better reception/coverage than VZW (on any level, whether in person or on a forum)

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Are you actually having a reception problem or just not seeing bars? I get great reception, better than my Storm which I thought was okay. My battery also lasts about 15 hours with normal use. Don't believe everything you read here. For every whiner there are 1000's of satisfied users.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
After watching the hands on videos of Phil with the Evo. It seems like the Evo is practically identical to the Incredible except that it has a larger screen. Question you have to answer for yourself is; A: Do you want a larger screen and B: Do you want a different carrier?

For me personally, Im going to return mine and get a replacement and if the placement isnt better then my current, Ill be getting a refund. More and more problems are rising on my end unfortunately. Browser crashing more often, Phone getting pretty darn hot. Call quality is terrible in some cases. Battery.. do I even need to go there? Damn thing drains in a few hours. Screens are switching all over the place when I move the device. The list goes on..

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After watching the hands on videos of Phil with the Evo. It seems like the Evo is practically identical to the Incredible except that it has a larger screen. Question you have to answer for yourself is; A: Do you want a larger screen and B: Do you want a different carrier?

For me personally, Im going to return mine and get a replacement and if the placement isnt better then my current, Ill be getting a refund. More and more problems are rising on my end unfortunately. Browser crashing more often, Phone getting pretty darn hot. Call quality is terrible in some cases. Battery.. do I even need to go there? Damn thing drains in a few hours. Screens are switching all over the place when I move the device. The list goes on..

Exactly.

But I am sorry you are having issues, it seems there are a number of lemons out there where a few people are getting a ton of problems while most have no issues. Best of luck with the replacement!

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
What Im worried about is that I have a week left until my 30 days is up. I put in for a replacement which in this case will undoubtedly not ship until the first or 2nd week in June going over my 30 days, Once I recieve it and play with it and see if it has problems... Would they then take it back and give me a refund since I had to wait a few weeks to get the device when I had 1 week left until my date was up?

According to their customer service rep. They said I'd be fine cause they'd document it.. but well see

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with reception issue. The battery life is really what you make it of. I have many things running but still am able to get a full days worth of use.

Edit: Just for the record, if you're leaving VZW for an inferior coverage carrier, how do you know that the reception issue won't still be exactly the same or possibly worse? I do not know a single soul that says Sprint has better reception/coverage than VZW (on any level, whether in person or on a forum)

Bro picked up a hero today and gets great reception. He lives few blocks away.

Last edited:

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you actually having a reception problem or just not seeing bars? I get great reception, better than my Storm which I thought was okay. My battery also lasts about 15 hours with normal use. Don't believe everything you read here. For every whiner there are 1000's of satisfied users.

Has to due with the bars mostly. I read where someone posted letter from HTC explaining that the antenna "problem" was causing the battery issue.

kyrumo

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site

The Incredible and EVO are a lot alike besides the EVO has/does
4G
Wireless Hotspot up to 8 devises
Youtube HD
Front facing camera for video conferencing
Kickstand
4.3 inch display
Video records in 780P
HDMI OUT
And the EVO has been rooted already which it seems like Verizon phones are harder/take longer to root

The Incredible has/does
Optical Trackpad
8GB internal storage
Smaller more pocketable
Amoled Display

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible and EVO are a lot alike besides the EVO has/does
4G
Wireless Hotspot up to 8 devises
Youtube HD
Front facing camera for video conferencing
Kickstand
4.3 inch display
Video records in 780P
HDMI OUT
And the EVO has been rooted already which it seems like Verizon phones are harder/take longer to root

4G(It's really called WiMAX on Sprint....) won't matter when Verizon starts rolling out LTE later this year. You can do HD youtube on the Incredible you just have to select it if you aren't on wifi.

Ok now as far as I'm concerned, I could care less about have dual cameras, I mean honestly it's not like we have video calls available to us now.....HDMI, I don't think I'll be using my phone to watch things on my tv. Things I would find useful is the kickstand and the 780p video. That will come when the INC eventually gets root I believe.

The biggest gripe I had with the EVO, of course this is all MY opinion, I don't like the form factor. It just seems to big to wear comfortably in the pocket, while my INC seems to disappear. Any who just my opinion.

kyrumo

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
4G(It's really called WiMAX on Sprint....) won't matter when Verizon starts rolling out LTE later this year. You can do HD youtube on the Incredible you just have to select it if you aren't on wifi.

Ok now as far as I'm concerned, I could care less about have dual cameras, I mean honestly it's not like we have video calls available to us now.....HDMI, I don't think I'll be using my phone to watch things on my tv. Things I would find useful is the kickstand and the 780p video. That will come when the INC eventually gets root I believe.

The biggest gripe I had with the EVO, of course this is all MY opinion, I don't like the form factor. It just seems to big to wear comfortably in the pocket, while my INC seems to disappear. Any who just my opinion.
Sprint calls it 4G as well it does not say wimax on the EVO it says 4G, even when Verizon comes out with LTE the Incredible will not work on it, I think the front facing camera will be cool for posting vids on Youtube and since me and the wife are both getting the EVO and when im on duty its gonna be nice to video chat, I agree its a big beast but i'm willing to deal with it, for all the features

Here's a little video to show the 4G branding
YouTube - HTC EVO 4G

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Ignoring the Evo troll above who can't read a post....

I have about 10 days left to decide if I will keep it or return it and get an evo.

It wouldn't even be a question if it wasn't for the battery life / reception issue.

If these are your two issues then I doubt you'll be much changed with the Evo. And if battery life bothers you, you'll be even more unhappy with the Evo. All the reviewers are getting demolished batterys. I read one guy killed his battery on 4G in 3hrs!

Last edited:

kyrumo

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site

If these are your two issues then I doubt you'll be much changed with the Evo. And if battery life bothers you, you'll be even more unhappy with the Evo. All the reviewers are getting demolished batterys. I read one guy killed his battery on 4G in 3hrs!
Obviously 4Gs gonna consume more battery, you have the option of turning 4G off and using 3G, the EVO has a lot bigger battery then the Incredible so it should do better in 3G mode

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Bro picked up a hero today and gets great reception. He lives few blocks away.
If thats the case then give it a whirl. I do believe that you will be charged a $10 premium each month on top of your data/voice plan, so keep that in mind (From what I understand, this is regardless of whether you are in a Wimax city or not)

Sprint calls it 4G as well it does not say wimax on the EVO it says 4G, even when Verizon comes out with LTE the Incredible will not work on it, I think the front facing camera will be cool for posting vids on Youtube and since me and the wife are both getting the EVO and when im on duty its gonna be nice to video chat, I agree its a big beast but i'm willing to deal with it, for all the features
]
FYI, LTE is more accurately "4G" in terms of mobile technology than is what Sprint is using (which is Wimax), so Qazme is correct. Technically both are 4G(which basically just means 4th generation, as 3G is 3rd), but with different radio sets. I believe that Wimax technology has some components of wifi in it whereas LTE does not and is a true 3G successor - their interface is solely through mobile connectivity. I would assume Sprint is just branding their Wimax as 4G to keep it simpler for consumers to pick it and associate with everyone else (who will be using LTE; not only in the US but this will become a global standard)

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site

Thanks this is what I was thinking too. It's a little better with the Seidio extended battery.

I have a Seidio case on the way with all of the accessories I bought ill probably just keep it

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Has to due with the bars mostly. I read where someone posted letter from HTC explaining that the antenna "problem" was causing the battery issue.

Most people think that the bars is a problem. According to HTC, the phone purposely pulls a weaker signal when not in use. It maintains just enough to keep a connection with the tower. When the phone is in use then you will see the bars jump up. This is to help limit the drain on the battery. I didn't really buy this until I atually paid attention to my phone in and out of use and it was actually true. As soon as I started using the phone, for either voice or data, the bars would jump from 1 to 3 instantly. As soon as I finished and the phone was idle, it dropped back down to one bar.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Obviously 4Gs gonna consume more battery, you have the option of turning 4G off and using 3G, the EVO has a lot bigger battery then the Incredible so it should do better in 3G mode

If you turn 4G off, then what's the point? Sprint has made it clear you need 4G to take advantage of some of the Evo's features. You essentially have an Incredible now.

The Evo has "a lot bigger batter"??? HAHAHA! You're a funny guy. Since when did +200mah equal a lot bigger? And if that extra 200mah really matter to you then just buy the MyTouch/etc 1500mah battery that's been mentioned everywhere on the forums. It's <$20. Whoopie.

Either way, even with your awesome 3G Evo, you're still looking at worse battery life. Look @ the reviews. 4.3" screen + no AMOLED like Incredible = More battery consumption. So if battery life is your issue, the Evo is NOT the solution. A better move would be either a mid-range Android phone w/o a Snapdragon sucking power or Blackberry.

xsfspeed

May 3, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day, it really comes down to what you want. What you really want.

My Inc has been awesome so far. Battery life was bad the first week, but seems to have gotten better. Maybe cuz I adjusted the settings or maybe I just don't play with all the cool features all the darn time. I ignore the bars, and only care about actual reception, which is great in my area.

There will always be newer, cooler, fancier phones coming out. Just like cars. They will all have benefits and detractors. There is no perfect device, the target keeps moving. For me, the key is finding a device that does more things I want it to do, with the fewest issues that I need to put up with. You gotta figure out what works for you.

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Either way, even with your awesome 3G Evo, you're still looking at worse battery life. Look @ the reviews. 4.3" screen + no AMOLED like Incredible = More battery consumption. So if battery life is your issue, the Evo is NOT the solution. A better move would be either a mid-range Android phone w/o a Snapdragon sucking power or Blackberry.

I do miss my bb sometimes, but the incredible is just so awesome. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1