WVGA (Incredible) vs 720p (Evo4G) -- sample comparison

Bobby9

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I just watched the videos side by side and to me the EVO had much brighter colors just way more vivid but the Incredible seemed to look a bit clearer to me even if the colors weren't as vibrant. I didn't think there was that much a difference between the 720p and 480p to make a big difference.

Another thing was the shadows on the dude's face made it kinda hard to see on the EVO but you could make features out better with the Incredible.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with bobby9 100%. I was thinking exactly the same things when I was watching the videos. I did notice with the EVO the sky was very clear and realistic looking. And yes the bushes did look better. So sure background scenery might look better and more vivid colors with the EVO, but with the incredible you were able to see his face more clear along with all of the other things around. The street sign and the car parked on the left. I was just trying to notice if anything was getting pixelated.

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow... The EVO was amazing. I was looking at the bushes blowing in the wind on both. Both look good, but on the EVO is apparent how much better the quality is.
The colors on the EVO are terrible compared to the Incredible, just look at the shadowing on the dudes face. I'd take a look again, the incredible is the clear winner.

Hell, the mytouch looks better then the EVO.

Last edited:

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The colors on the EVO terrible compared to the Incredible, jut look at the shadowing on the dudes face. I'd take a look again, the incredible is the clear winner.

Hell, the mytouch looks better then the EVO.

Agreed 100%, this is the way I see it:

Evo
+Higher resolution (that's it)
-Blocky artifacts everywhere, compression probably due to a limitation of the hardware for video on a phone
-Horrible metering, I can't even see his face
-Lower frame rate

Incredible
+Smoother/faster frame rate
+Hardly any artifacts
+Great metering, I can see his face!
-Not as sharp since the resolutions a little lower

Both are pretty bad on the audio, but listening side-by-side at the same spots I'd give the edge to the Incredible's mic.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
i wonder did everyone change the setting in you tube? b/c i could change the incredible vid to 480p and the evo vid to 720p and the evo showed more detail in the background but not quite as much in the foreground. too bad the wind made it really annoying to listen to. its hard to say but for a phone i think you will do pretty well with either. does anyone know if you can choose the resolution/fps on hte evo from shooting 720p to something lower? or if you only have one choice?

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Considering the EVO and Incredible have the same camera (assuming, they look the same) the video should be exactly the same.

element4life3

May 16, 2010
Visit site
IDK, but I think the Evo's looks way better. The colors look much better, and it looks just as sharp as the Inc's. The Inc's just looks too washed out and bland IMO.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
They did another test on here, and the Palm Pre looks better than the EVO.

Someone should post the Palm Pre Vid (tried to find it) and maybe some others.

The 720p video of the Evo is just too compressed IMO. I've seen a couple other samples on Youtube and they all have the artifacts and lower frame rate (especially noticed with motion). The videos of WVGA from the Evo look better IMO. But my eyes value higher frame rates/smoothness over resolution.

crash0515

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
This is the same video uploded from both phones. I dont know whitch one shot the vid. But it is the same video. So I not sure what test he is doing other than upload to youtube. Unless he had the phones stacked on top of each other. But the angles look pretty close to each other. The Evo looks to be zoomed in a little more than the Dinc.
I dont know......thoughts anyone???

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I like the Incred better. The sky on the EVO is way to blue, very unrealistic looking. Although the EVO is higher rez which is good, the Incred just has a more realistic representation. Can't even see the dude's face on the EVO.

I'd be curious to see some other comparisons in different environments.

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
on the EVO, it looked like someone had fun with the saturation bar, and cranked it up! The contrast was also cranked way up too!

The reason why I think the incredible "metered" better was because he had less of the sky. The brightest point of the entire scene was the sky, and the sky was barely there on the incredible. Or, another thought might be that the incredible's sensor just has better dynamic range than the EVO's sensor. But then again, we're not really comparing it to actual P&S's and DSLR's.

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
This is the same video uploded from both phones. I dont know whitch one shot the vid. But it is the same video. So I not sure what test he is doing other than upload to youtube. Unless he had the phones stacked on top of each other. But the angles look pretty close to each other. The Evo looks to be zoomed in a little more than the Dinc.
I dont know......thoughts anyone???

Being the same video, my assumption is that he HAD to have them both lined up together. I would also guess that the Evo was on top, since it had a larger portion of the frame showing sky, although I could be wrong, and one could be pointed a little higher than the other. I'll give the level of detail in the vid to the Evo. It does appear a bit sharper. The Inc appears to be overall smoother. Like has already been said, nobody knows what the different settings were (color, contrast, etc.)

Either way, unless you're a high end video buff, I can't see this as being a decisive factor in choosing one of the phones, with network considerations, with/without the front face camera, and so on. Both look pretty good.

All that said, I still have my S1 in use until my Inc gets here. Compared to either one of these, my current video recorder sucks......:p

Last edited:

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I added a Kin 2 720P video, IMO this is the sort of video AND audio quality that I think most people were expecting when they heard "720P". Now with THIS video I think the Kin 2 720P video is truely amazing for a phone!!

Now if only HTC can start putting these cameras into their next gen of phones....

dc5dugg

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The EVO's colors are more vibrant, but I agree with what someone said earlier... it's got metering problems. Noah's face looks so dark with the shadows. Not sure what's going on there.

Based on the other videos, it looks like they are stacked one on top of the other. The myTouch 3G Slide is at the bottom, the EVO in the middle and the Incredible on top.

crash0515

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Being the same video, my assumption is that he HAD to have them both lined up together. I would also guess that the Evo was on top, since it had a larger portion of the frame showing sky, although I could be wrong, and one could be pointed a little higher than the other. I'll give the level of detail in the vid to the Evo. It does appear a bit sharper. The Inc appears to be overall smoother. Like has already been said, nobody knows what the different settings were (color, contrast, etc.)

Either way, unless you're a high end video buff, I can't see this as being a decisive factor in choosing one of the phones, with network considerations, with/without the front face camera, and so on. Both look pretty good.

All that said, I still have my S1 in use until my Inc gets here. Compared to either one of these, my current video recorder sucks......:p

I too think the Evo was on top. I also agree that its probally not a decideing factor between the two. Its not for me. I have the Incredible and love it. It is my personal phone. But I am getting the Evo this Friday for my work phone. So I guess I might run my own test video outside and inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37