Strange BT Behavior

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have become very aware of turning Blue Tooth off when I don't need it. I am convinced that the 15-18 hours a day of battery life I am getting is due to this and turning off WiFi when I can't hit a network. Lately the Bluetooth is turning itself back on every time i open a text message. Very strange. I have Toggle Blue Tooth on my home screen and have seen a text come in and there is no change. When I open the text the BT notification comes on immediately. Any ideas on this one? What could be the possible connection between text messages and BT?

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
This is a long shot, but is the BT toggle icon one where you just press it and it toggles? The one I have is tied to a battery meter (Battery Widget by Mippin.com), and when I press it and hit BT it takes me to the Settings > Wireless & Networks page where I have to check or uncheck the BT box.

If the icon is near the pull down message bar, it's possible that your icon's location is too close to the pull down bar and is registering a click when you go to open your messages. This is all assuming you use the pull down bar to check your messages.

It's also possible there's an issue with your screen that's detecting a touch in the same area as your BT toggle app when you touch the Messages app.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
That's..... unusual. Have you re-booted since this started? Are you running a different Messaging app?

Yes, several times. I am running stock HTC messaging. I thought it might be associated with Timeriffic which I use to control profiles and have set to turn BT off when ever it changes a profile. I turned Timeriffic off and that had no effect. Finally broke down and called VZW support and got the answer I fully expected: "No known issue, we suggest a factory re-set which usually solves everything". It was funny, she actually testedd it on her Incredible while we were talking and it did not happen. She asked why it mattered and I told her I am not in the car all that much and it makes a huge difference in battery life if the BT is off. Her suggestion was running Instant App Killer which she said solves all of the battery life problems. When I told her I was getting 15-18 hours which is true she said "oh, I only get 8 or 9. Case closed.

I guess if it becomes too annoying I will do a re-set. I have my phone set up exactly how I want it after a month of use and just don't want to go through the hassle of the re-install and re-setting.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This is a long shot, but is the BT toggle icon one where you just press it and it toggles? The one I have is tied to a battery meter (Battery Widget by Mippin.com), and when I press it and hit BT it takes me to the Settings > Wireless & Networks page where I have to check or uncheck the BT box.

If the icon is near the pull down message bar, it's possible that your icon's location is too close to the pull down bar and is registering a click when you go to open your messages. This is all assuming you use the pull down bar to check your messages.

It's also possible there's an issue with your screen that's detecting a touch in the same area as your BT toggle app when you touch the Messages app.

I am using the HTC BT toggle. I have tested by not using the toggle and going to the actual setting as you mentioned and turning BT off. It still goes back on when I send a test text to myself or have someone send one.

The icon is actually in the bottom row so it couldn't be any further from the pull down. I think your final point may have merit and will try that. The toggle is two icons away from the messaging icon which is how I usually access a text, although it does not toggle off when I tap the messaging icon to send a text.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm