System Update Problems

theranb

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to update my phone pretty much all day. The update message has been coming up on my phone for weeks now but it would never reboot. Yesterday all my apps started crashing and none of them will open it gives me the closed unexpectedly message. After looking on the computer today I decided to try the recovery, clear cache, then reboot. Then I had to change my date a year to get the update to show back up in settings/about phone/system update. i downloaded the new version and it went to reboot and I think I stopped it early. I tried to download it again and it got through the download but I received the reboot message. So I went back to recovery and did all that again and now i have retired to download it and it is froze on the download the green bar is like 1% done and it isnt moving. I thought if I did the recovery again it would stop it and I could start all over but nothing is getting it unfroze. I know this is alot but does anyone have any suggestions?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like sticky wicket.

Are you rooted?

Have you tried the "Fix permissions" in recovery. I might be listed under "Advanced".

If that doesn't work then I hate to say it but if it were me I'd go with the old Factory Reset. Sounds like all your apps and data are toast anyway, might as well start clean.

After you get everything set backup I would steer clear of the OTA update. There are dozens of posts on this forum with problems the OTA update caused.

neuftearia

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to update my phone pretty much all day. The update message has been coming up on my phone for weeks now but it would never reboot. Yesterday all my apps started crashing and none of them will open it gives me the closed unexpectedly message. After looking on the computer today I decided to try the recovery, clear cache, then reboot. Then I had to change my date a year to get the update to show back up in settings/about phone/system update. i downloaded the new version and it went to reboot and I think I stopped it early. I tried to download it again and it got through the download but I received the reboot message. So I went back to recovery and did all that again and now i have retired to download it and it is froze on the download the green bar is like 1% done and it isnt moving. I thought if I did the recovery again it would stop it and I could start all over but nothing is getting it unfroze. I know this is alot but does anyone have any suggestions?

There are MANY threads on this very same topic. I have had the same issue and have never been able to get my DInc to reboot after the update was "downloaded and verified". I have given up on the update and decided to just get a new one; I have the 1st generation Incredible and am due for an upgrade.
Good luck though.

theranb

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I found the problem but I dont know what to do next. Once I get into recovery I get a e:can't open/ cache/recovery/
What do I do now? I have searched other threads and none tell me exactly what to do here? Please help:confused:

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The main issue it seems when trying to get this on your phone is the phone memory amount. Check to see in the settings menu-sd&phone storage. Check the phone memory amount. I had close to 500 MBs of space before the GB update finally took. Clear cache, move apps to you SD card. Remove apps that you don't use that often that hog space (NFL Mobile, Pulse, etc.) and uninstall updates, like Adobe and Google maps. Then try it again. This may be tedious, but it works and sure beats a factory reset.

theranb

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The main issue it seems when trying to get this on your phone is the phone memory amount. Check to see in the settings menu-sd&phone storage. Check the phone memory amount. I had close to 500 MBs of space before the GB update finally took. Clear cache, move apps to you SD card. Remove apps that you don't use that often that hog space (NFL Mobile, Pulse, etc.) and uninstall updates, like Adobe and Google maps. Then try it again. This may be tedious, but it works and sure beats a factory reset.

I have plenty of space. And I have cleared cache nothing is working. I know this is crazy but my main reason for not doing a factory reset is because of one game. I dont want to lose everything Tiny Village is there anyway to get that to backup if I do have to do a factory reset?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have plenty of space. And I have cleared cache nothing is working. I know this is crazy but my main reason for not doing a factory reset is because of one game. I dont want to lose everything Tiny Village is there anyway to get that to backup if I do have to do a factory reset?

I'm going to guess your not rooted. I'm not 100% but theres got to be an app somewhere that lets you backup your game stuff. In the rooted world we use Titanium Backup so when you flash a ROM (equivalent of doing a factory reset) you go into the Market, download Titanium and you can restore your previously made backups. It stores the data on the SD card which should be unaffected by the factory reset. It will only wipe the phones data and its internal memory, SD will not be wiped.

Or you could take your chances with going to a Verizon corporate store and telling them, in a polite way, their OTA update bricked your phone and they need to fix it.

Edit: Just a cursory glance through the market and there are a few different apps that will do backups however none will restore the app data (game state) unless you are rooted.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke