Why do my pictures keep disappearing?

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried SDrescan app but that didn't work.

When I click on gallery, in the split second while its loading my pictures that I take with my phone disappear.

If I pull the battery out they'll come back. Then after a while, the same thing will happen and they will disappear. Like I said, when I click on the gallery they are there for that split second and then they vanish. They are still on the SD card and will come back when I pull out the battery but to have to do that whenever I have to access a picture is crazy.

I wiped out my phone. I don't know the term but I wiped it out so it returned to how it was out of the box. I then manually redownloaded every single app on my phone.

I also unmounted and then erased the SD card as well.

It worked fine for about a day but now the pictures are gone again.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm eligible for an upgrade but that's pricey and I would love to keep this phone if I didn't have these problems. There's a couple apps that give me problems still but I could live with those if my gallery worked.

Thanks for any help.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually curious to see if anyone else is having this problem, I just got a refurb and when I read this post I figured I'd check it out. Low and behold it happens to me too.

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The phone itself is great. Like lightning on wifi. 3G is great too as I hardly ever lag while watching WatchESPN or listening to games on NFL Network. Camera is top notch. Takes great vids but now I am starting to have problems with different things.

Pandora Play List app thing wont work and it reboots my phone and my pics are disappearing. Pics disappearing are really starting to make me mad.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll say this, seeing your other thread, it looks like you're doing a battery pull every time your pictures disappear. Have you just tried unmounting, then mounting your SD card. I did that and my pictures came back fine. Don't know if it fixes the problem yet, but it is definitely less of a hassle than a battery pull.

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll say this, seeing your other thread, it looks like you're doing a battery pull every time your pictures disappear. Have you just tried unmounting, then mounting your SD card. I did that and my pictures came back fine. Don't know if it fixes the problem yet, but it is definitely less of a hassle than a battery pull.

I only pull it out when I need to access them (that's what she said?) but its such a hassle to wait for the phone to reboot.

I had to do that this morning and when I just checked now, they did their disappearing act. It's almost like its taunting. They are there for a half a second and then gone.

Just unmounted then mounted the SD card and they are still gone.

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem as well and found that the phone was storing the pictures in one folder and looking for them in another folder. The best way to find the pics is to connect your phone to to your PC where you can see both drives of the phone, SD and internal, look for the DCIM folder and photo's will be located there. To change the settings of where you store your photos, while using the camera you will see a tab on the side of the screen, tap this and at the bottom there is a settings option, you can change this from SD to phone storage depending on where you would like to store your photos. After you have changed this I would assume that the phone will start looking for the photos in that folder. All of my pictures were still there and I moved them all to the SD card and changed the settings in the camera and have had no problems since.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've found JustPictures! in the Market to be the best Gallery replacement around. Give it a try and see if you still have problems.

TJH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've found JustPictures! in the Market to be the best Gallery replacement around. Give it a try and see if you still have problems.

TJH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

This didn't work so I am going to try Blast's suggestion. I am at work and have to go borrow a USB cable from somebody first.

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem as well and found that the phone was storing the pictures in one folder and looking for them in another folder. The best way to find the pics is to connect your phone to to your PC where you can see both drives of the phone, SD and internal, look for the DCIM folder and photo's will be located there. To change the settings of where you store your photos, while using the camera you will see a tab on the side of the screen, tap this and at the bottom there is a settings option, you can change this from SD to phone storage depending on where you would like to store your photos. After you have changed this I would assume that the phone will start looking for the photos in that folder. All of my pictures were still there and I moved them all to the SD card and changed the settings in the camera and have had no problems since.

I went to settings like you said but its set to "phone storage" and I am unable to click on it.

EDIT - That might have been because I was plugged in at the time. I pulled out the battery, change the setting to SD card and all my pictures are there. They usually are after I pull out the battery so now I am just waiting to see if they disappear.

Last edited:

storminone

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone with the problem tried using a different camera app than stock? Most allow you to set the destination directory

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Tried this out and it worked...for an hour, then I had to reboot the Dinc to see my pics in the gallery. At least they aren't actually gone. Anyway, I've moved all my pics to Dropbox for now, so if I have to reformat the SD card, I won't accidentally lose my stuff!;)

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
That's so strange.. I changed my settings to store photos from SD card back to Phone Storage, and now my photos show up all the time. Oh, well.. at least I can get to the photos if I need them.

gizmo82198

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my phone. I connected it to my computer with a USB cable and all of my picture were in the DCIM/100MEDIA folder. I copied them all to my computer to back them up.

I rebooted my phone and everything came up in the gallery. Very frustrating.

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, update.

I went to camera, then hit the arrow and clicked on settings. I changed the storage to "Storage Card" from "Phone Storage".

Every picture I have taken since has not disappeared. That appears to have solved the problem. However, the picture I took before I did this are still disappeared and the only way to get them is to pull out the battery. Is there a way to get those pictures to the same place the picture are that I have taken after I made the change?

Also, I stopped into a Verizon store. The guy there had no idea and said it might be a problem with the phone itself. I asked what my options were and his reply was "upgrade". Of course.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Download a file manager from the market and you can copy the pic's saved on the internal storage to the SD card. ADAO File Manager is good as is Astro.

grumpy766

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
My HTC incredible forgets pictures all of the time. I have to use the restart option on the shut down menu and restart the phone to get them back. If I do a straight shut down then do a manual restart it won't show my pics. Why does it always forget my pics?

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE

So, I just had a baby and having my pictures disappear really wasn't an option so I decided to sacrifice my phone and how I would use it in order to always have access to my pictures.

So I did a clean wipe on my phone and decided I wouldn't download anything. The pictures stayed. I then realized not long after I needed my music. The music player that comes on the phone is god awful so I downloaded player pro, but I downloaded it from an outside source, not the market. In order to do that, I had to checkmark "Unknown Sources" to allow installation of non-Market applications. Once I did that, the pictures disappeared.

I then uncheckmarked that and restarted the phone. The pictures stayed. It was the longest they have stayed since I started having this problem.

Then I downloaded another app. This time from the market. My pictures disappeared and I restarted the phone. They came back and have been there since, and I downloaded that over a week ago. So since I wiped my phone out, and kept that uncheckmarked, the pics have disappeared twice. Before they would disappear the next day after I took out my battery to get them back. I don't know if having that uncheckmarked is a coincidence or what but it seems to have been working.

I am thinking about downloading some more of my old apps and seeing what happens. I have downloaded games too since then and no problems.

Some apps I might stay away from like Pandora and Home Depot as they used to give me tons of problems.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
That is weird - I've downloaded ton's of apps to help trouble shoot issues with people and that has never happened.

Did you ever try a new SD card?