Just a few simple questions about the incredible software.

ajgilzean

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, first post here. Seems like a nice forum.

I had a few questions about this phone. The first is how do I turn off message preview when the phone still locked? It always shows the first two lines of my text messages before my phone is on, and I don't like random people being able to read this.

Another is that I don't like Facebook mobile or the app. I just prefer the full site. When I go the full site, I can usually click around a few times, and then it always puts me back on Facebook mobile (as if that's a default setting). Any fix?

Last question, when location is turned on for google maps, can anybody (like friends, third parties, police) use this information to figure out where I am? I see the 911 option is always selected on, but does this mean that they can use this to arrest me or anything if I'm on private property or somewhere I shouldn't b?. Hypothetical situation of course, but I'm just wondering what can be done with that info.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome.

1.) Open up messages then hit menu > settings. Scroll down to Received Notification and uncheck the checkbox.

2.) Open the browser then hit menu > more > settings and uncheck Mobile view.

3.) No. However, stay away from Google Buzz & Latitude.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah just to add to what Cory has eluded too, Buzz and Latitude will let people see exactly where you are if you have them installed and turned on. 911 location is broadcasting out to the cellular network in the event they need to find you and direct your call etc.

If keeping your location is "top secret" I would suggest not carrying your cell phone, not just the incredible but any phone because ultimately if they want to find you they can still get a reasonable location from cell tower triangulation it's just not as accurate. (1000 meters versus 6 ft or closer)

ajgilzean

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
About the text question. When I turn off received messages, it gives me absolutely no notice when message comes in. Is there a way to just turn off that text preview on the locked screen?

The other answers were good, thank you.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
not that i have seen (to #3) but if you use a different sms app, it won't show up then.

chomp and handcent (once it comes back to the market) are the two most popular ones. i use chomp, but both are far more featured than the stock app.

and with latitude, people can only see you if they are your friends and you allow access to your location through the app, personally i've used it to help direct someone who didn't know where they were to where i was. (and i've also caught some friends in a lie when they say they are closer than they are :p)

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
not that i have seen (to #3) but if you use a different sms app, it won't show up then.

chomp and handcent (once it comes back to the market) are the two most popular ones. i use chomp, but both are far more featured than the stock app.

and with latitude, people can only see you if they are your friends and you allow access to your location through the app, personally i've used it to help direct someone who didn't know where they were to where i was. (and i've also caught some friends in a lie when they say they are closer than they are :p)

+1 for Hancent; I really like it. We've used latitude off and on and Adiliyo is correct - it only let's people see where you are if you allow them to do so.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Yeah this is what we are talking about though. You allow them then don't think about it and then they know where you are, rather that matters or not I guess would depend on him. I guess I'm just not that much of a security freak I leave gps and everything else turned on. There are places I go to work that won't allow phones in for security reasons and that may be on of them, well that and cameras.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the security issue is on your end though, since you allowed them.

the idea is that they can't stalk you unless you let them.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
the security issue is on your end though, since you allowed them.

the idea is that they can't stalk you unless you let them.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree and acknowledge it, But a security issue is an issue no matter where it comes from. Ask your boss if you can install a latitude type application on your phone they provide you, and you work on or around a government institution. They are going to tell you NO. Doesn't matter if it's you or someone else in charge of the security violation it's still an issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae