How does Google Voice work on the Inc?

rayyork

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have GV and a Storm 1 right now. Not a match made in Heaven I can tell you that for sure! I have a GV # and it calls my cell #. I want to keep it this way. My biggest issues with GV and the Storm is there is no easy way to place a call using GV. Can you tell me how GV works on the Incredible? I would hope that its seamless and just "feels" like a 2nd line on the phone....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There are different options on how you can have it place calls:

- use to make all calls
- not use it to make any calls
- only use it for international
- and ask every time.

I use the 4th option. Every time I place a call, I pop-up asks me if I want to use GV or not.

It works great.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It is seamlessly integrated. I used it on the Storm 1 as well...it sucked on that platform, but as Cory stated it is very easy to place calls with GV or without it.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If a call comes in from someone using your google voice number, your caller ID will show your google voice number.... correct?

On the other hand, you can add google voice number to friends and family and all calls made by it or through it wouldnt cost minutes... right?

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If a call comes in from someone using your google voice number, your caller ID will show your google voice number.... correct?

Depends...you can set it to show your GV # or the caller id of the person actually calling you.

On the other hand, you can add google voice number to friends and family and all calls made by it or through it wouldnt cost minutes... right?

Yes, if you setup your GV to show you the GV # then you can add the GV # to your F&F to get unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
how do you get a google voice number? I went to the site and provided my name and email address weeks ago and so far nothing.

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Count me as another with nothing but great things to say about GV on the Incredible. I am also coming from The Storm 1. As far as getting a GV number from Google all I can say is be patient and search the forums for someone with an extra. Good luck. I was lucky enough to ask for one way back in the day when GV wasn't cool and even then it took a good while.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope this is ok to do.

I have a few invites left on GV. The next couple to email me can have them. MY sn here at gmail is where to email me your gmail addy.

I am so excited to use GV finally. Thank you all for the information. My GV number is already in friends and family but I rarely use it YET.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope this is ok to do.

I have a few invites left on GV. The next couple to email me can have them. MY sn here at gmail is where to email me your gmail addy.

I am so excited to use GV finally. Thank you all for the information. My GV number is already in friends and family but I rarely use it YET.

count me in for one if i'm in time. :)

Preduck

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Storm 1 and didn't think making a call was too bad. Go to contacts, hit the Blackberry button and scroll up and select, make call using google voice. Now receiving SMS text messages, that's another story.......

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that it does work well. I intend to use this (once I get an invite... hint hint :)) a lot, since it is one of the features I jailbreak my iPod touch for.

But really, anyone got an invites?

Zabi#AC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Does google voice on android allow for text messaging without all that funky forwarding?

Also, Google Voice for Students will give you an instant (i.e. no waiting for a slot to be open, some say it's been instant, others said it took a few days) google voice account if you have a .edu e-mail address.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
GV is way better on my inc. than it was on my old storm 1, man I can't get over just how damn slow that BB was what the hell were we thinking.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand this. If someone is calling you, why would you want to see your GV # instead of the ID of the person calling you??

if you set your Google Voice as one of your Fav 5 or Friends & Family numbers, then anyone that calls your google voice number, will be a free call. I still have my friends call me on my regular number. but when i need to get on a conference call that will use a lot of minutes, i tell people to call me on my GV number. if they ask what number it is, i just say its an office number. that's how i use it. and for visual voicemail.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Does google voice on android allow for text messaging without all that funky forwarding?

Also, Google Voice for Students will give you an instant (i.e. no waiting for a slot to be open, some say it's been instant, others said it took a few days) google voice account if you have a .edu e-mail address.

I have an .edu address (though I'm not a student). I submitted it to see what would happen.

Google Voice for Students said:
Sit tight! A Google Voice invite will arrive in your inbox in the next 24 hours.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

yes it works great. just make sure in your GV settings online, you set it to NOT forward a received SMS to your email or cell phone. then when you install the GV app on your phone, you can send and receive sms messages for free, just like your SMS app, in real time. i use it when i am running low on my SMS allowance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze