Strength of Touchscreen

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been a user of Apple devices, and I've been able to get through without a screen protector. I've attributed that to the strength of the glass on iDevices.

Is the Incredible similar? I'd love to not use a screen protector (I just don't like the feel, possibility of air bubbles, taking it off and dealing with sticky substance, etc.)

I do take care of my tech, too, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. But does the Incredible's touchscreen compare to iPhone/iPod touch/iPad in terms of strength?

Thanks!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
In my last 3 touch screen phones (Storm , Moto Droid, Incredible) I have never used a screen protector and carry my phone in my pocket. I have never had a scratch on any of the phones and I'm pretty careful not to have change or keys in the same pocket. I would say you should be safe without a screen protector.

crash0515

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The screen display is actually an Opaque Aluminum-Silicone Base. It is called Gorilla Glass, which is impervious to the very real threats of key scratching and localized pressure. Gorilla Glass is an unscratchable, unshatterable material used as a protective window for your mobile phone.

I got this info from xmonkey on androidforums
here is the link to the post:
Incredible using Gorilla Glass? HTC says so... - Android Forums

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If it's using Gorilla Glass, I will for sure not use a screen protector. Can anyone confirm that it is?

ScottLong

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am EXTREMELY careful about having it in my pocket by itself (I have never caught myself breaking this rule) and I have a couple of scratches on mine. I did drop it on the hard wood floor in my bedroom of the bedside table (luckily it's pretty low) once when I went to silence the alarm, and I guess that was it. Pretty upset about it but what can you do. You can only see the scratches if you look in the light, very tough to notice otherwise.

but I am putting a Seidio screen protector on tomorrow.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Screen protector is a must-have for me. And they CAN be installed bubble-free! I'm test-driving the Phantom Skinz one, now and it is very smooth - can't hardly tell it is there.

There are a couple threads here that discuss the different offerings of protectors.

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am letting my Incredible go all natural. When I first got my Storm, it was my baby and I thought screen protection was a must. I left it on for over a year, and when the edges started to curl I pulled it off and wondered why I ever got screen protection in the first place. Nothing bad ever happened after that. I never plan to use screen protection again.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So I'm thinking I'll just see if the screen will be a problem.

One I get it, if it feels like it's fragile, i will definitely put a protector on.

But I'm extremely careful of putting it in my pocket by itself, and I don't let my gadgets fall (my 3 year iPod has fallen once).

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Frank Mineo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ya, I used a screen protecter initially for my blackberry storm and when it had seen its better days I installed another that I did a poor job on (thank you 1/2 case of Dogfish Head). After that I didn't use a screen protecter for the better part of the year with no scratches and I am still debating on whether to put on on the Incredible. If I do I am likey to buy cheap ones from EBAY.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
sooooooooo if no screen protector, how to clean fingerprints off the screen?

Doesn't matter if it has a protector or not; still have to wipe it off occassionally with a cloth of some kind. If it HAS a protector, you can be a little less careful about the type of cloth. :)