tethering?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can use either PDAnet or Easy Teather to do USB teathering for no additional charge, both are available in the marketplace. Both apps have paid versions, It's your choice on which to use. Out of the Box? No. Out of the box with a free or cheap download? Yes.

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I need to get in on this line of questioning because I am absolutely NOT technologically savvy and probably have no business having a smart phone, but my colleagues are starting to make fun of my flip phone. :p

So basically, I pay $29.99 for "unlimited" data, but if I go above 5gb they will charge me more? That makes me nervous. I mean, if you were using the data constantly on the phone would you get close to 5gb?

Also, if I use PDAnet for tethering, will I get close to 5gb?

I'm just so confused. :confused:

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I believe Fryo (i.e., Android 2.2) will have the ability to set up a wireless hotspot (i.e., MiFi); in the meantime, however, is there a third-party solution that provides this? If all of the current solutions simply provide tethering via a physical (i.e., USB) cable, then how can the phone be charged at the same time?

In the Windows Mobile world from which I came, I used an application called WMWiFiRouter. It was (and is) a great product that provided a wireless hot spot for multiple computers (with no extra software to install on the computers); however, it would burn through my phone (a Touch Pro 2) battery within 30 minutes. I could use it for short spurts but for anything beyond that I had to plug the phone into an A/C adapter--which would make the phone's mini USB port unavailable for use at the same time. I figure the same would apply with products like PDAnet, etc. If so, how can the phone be connected to an A/C source while at the same time be connected to a computer?

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I need to get in on this line of questioning because I am absolutely NOT technologically savvy and probably have no business having a smart phone, but my colleagues are starting to make fun of my flip phone. :p

So basically, I pay $29.99 for "unlimited" data, but if I go above 5gb they will charge me more? That makes me nervous. I mean, if you were using the data constantly on the phone would you get close to 5gb?

It takes alot of data use from the phone to get over that 5 gb cap. I have had a blackberry curve for a year and used it alot but Never went over 5gb. I now have two phones (one being the dinc) and still have not gone over .

You can check your account online and see what data use you have used at anytime during the billing cycle if it eases your mind too. But normally just using the phone by itself to connect I dont think you will go over the 5gb.

They would charge more if you went over tho .

If you plan on using your phone as a modem for you laptop say thats is where your likely to go over the 5gb cap

PS: I have not use PDAnet so was not including that in my comments above , lol

How many hours a day was you going to be on the net from your phone ?
Was you going to use it as a modem? (for laptop or other device)

Last edited:

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I did not have any intentions of using my phone for tethering except in emergency situations, like if my dsl went out or something, which happened a few weeks back and I about died without internet, or if I were to travel which doesn't happen very often.

I really just wanted to be sure of everything before I used it in that way and got a surprise phone bill. :eek:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The wireless hotspot will probably be locked out to you unless you pay the extra charge through Verizon. Just a thought.

Grasschopper

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok so now that I have my DInc it sure looks like I can tether with it out of the box. I didn't opt for tethering in my contract but the VZW disc included tells you how to set it up and has no warnings of extra fees (which in these days I would think they would have in there).

But if there is an app there is an app and all is good either way.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site

You can monitor how much data you use from within PDAnet. I also use Data Counter Widget and have it set to reset on the first of every month. This way, you will know well in advance if you are going to go over.

Ok so now that I have my DInc it sure looks like I can tether with it out of the box. I didn't opt for tethering in my contract but the VZW disc included tells you how to set it up and has no warnings of extra fees (which in these days I would think they would have in there).

But if there is an app there is an app and all is good either way.

I am sure you have to sign up for tethering before they start letting you use it. But why bother when there are free solutions readily available in the Market? Support Android devs, not greedy Verizon ;)

Having wifi hotspot might be a lot more compelling to people though.

Grasschopper

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am sure you have to sign up for tethering before they start letting you use it. But why bother when there are free solutions readily available in the Market? Support Android devs, not greedy Verizon ;)

Having wifi hotspot might be a lot more compelling to people though.

Right, I already downloaded EasyTether so I am with you there. For sure if I could make my DInc a WiFi hot spot for no additional cost (other than say the cost of an app) I would be all over it.

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe Fryo (i.e., Android 2.2) will have the ability to set up a wireless hotspot (i.e., MiFi); in the meantime, however, is there a third-party solution that provides this? If all of the current solutions simply provide tethering via a physical (i.e., USB) cable, then how can the phone be charged at the same time?

In the Windows Mobile world from which I came, I used an application called WMWiFiRouter. It was (and is) a great product that provided a wireless hot spot for multiple computers (with no extra software to install on the computers); however, it would burn through my phone (a Touch Pro 2) battery within 30 minutes. I could use it for short spurts but for anything beyond that I had to plug the phone into an A/C adapter--which would make the phone's mini USB port unavailable for use at the same time. I figure the same would apply with products like PDAnet, etc. If so, how can the phone be connected to an A/C source while at the same time be connected to a computer?

I've used my DInc a few times for tethering with PDANet. It does charge the battery and transfer data through the USB port at the same time. I don't see why other devices wouldn't do this. The data pins and the power pins are separate. Is shouldn't be one or the other.

This is qouted from the PDAnet website:
"PdaNet does NOT require root access or hacking your phone's firmware in order to work. It is just a regular Android application that works on all Android phones as-is. Tethering is fast, secure and USB mode will also charge your phone at the same time. Your phone can either connect to 3G data, WiFi, or even through VPN and PdaNet will share the connection with your computer."

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've used my DInc a few times for tethering with PDANet. It does charge the battery and transfer data through the USB port at the same time. I don't see why other devices wouldn't do this. The data pins and the power pins are separate. Is shouldn't be one or the other.

This is qouted from the PDAnet website:
"PdaNet does NOT require root access or hacking your phone's firmware in order to work. It is just a regular Android application that works on all Android phones as-is. Tethering is fast, secure and USB mode will also charge your phone at the same time. Your phone can either connect to 3G data, WiFi, or even through VPN and PdaNet will share the connection with your computer."

So as long as my laptop is connected to an A/C source, the Incredible will receive a charge while at the same time providing (via PDAnet) tethering services to my laptop (assuming the laptop USB ports are configured to power any connected devices)?

It looks like PDAnet will require the installation of a small utility on my laptop, possibly modifying the network stack. Have you experienced any issues with this?

During an incoming call, WMWifiRouter temporarily pauses networking until the phone call is complete; then networking resumes automatically. Is that how PDAnet works, too?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So as long as my laptop is connected to an A/C source, the Incredible will receive a charge while at the same time providing (via PDAnet) tethering services to my laptop (assuming the laptop USB ports are configured to power any connected devices)?

It looks like PDAnet will require the installation of a small utility on my laptop, possibly modifying the network stack. Have you experienced any issues with this?

During an incoming call, WMWifiRouter temporarily pauses networking until the phone call is complete; then networking resumes automatically. Is that how PDAnet works, too?

The utility is simply to pass TCP/IP like packets to your computer through USB, nothing more nothing less. It enables your computer to see the phone as a modem without having to put the phone into modem mode where it can be seen and tracked through Verizon's system. It pushes all your traffic into the phone and through the browsers network stack on the phone that way you don't get charged for tethering.

The utility does nothing to your phone or your computers network stack. Simply adds another facility to gain network access. Also from my experiences with PDANet when I had a phone call come through it does the exact same thing to your tether as it does your browser. It stops all traffic, call comes through, you hang up tether continues.

But don't take my word or anyone else's word for it, try it......it's free after all. Also if you use blue tooth tethering you don't have to install the software on your computer.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Tested PDAnet last week while at a lake cabin. It was a little slow, like the old dial-up modems, but that was due to being so far from towers. Other than that it worked flawlessly.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The utility is simply to pass TCP/IP like packets to your computer through USB, nothing more nothing less. It enables your computer to see the phone as a modem....The utility does nothing to your phone or your computers network stack. Simply adds another facility to gain network access...

Thanks. I ask because I've installed these kind of utilities in the past (granted, only on Windows 2000 and XP) and, upon removal, have seen a few of them cause irreparable harm to computers' network connectivity. Glad to hear that no one has experienced that with PDAnet. (BTW, I'm running Windows 7 on all of my computers.)

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Right, I already downloaded EasyTether so I am with you there. For sure if I could make my DInc a WiFi hot spot for no additional cost (other than say the cost of an app) I would be all over it.

Without root, the only way to get wifi tethering will be by paying for it. And honestly, if you are rocking wifi tethering you will probs have many devices sucking down data so it might be worth having the extra GBs.

Even if your laptop isnt plugged in, it will charge the phone.

No, it works great. (only tested on Mac though)

It is a limitation of CDMA, you can't stream data and take a phone call at the same time. Try to load a webpage the next time you take a call (make sure you aren't on wifi though)

Camposyka

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've used PdaNet for about 2 years with my Palm Centro and a windows XP Pro laptop. It just WORKS! I just upgraded to a Dinc and loaded the android version (phone and laptop side) and i'm not disappionted. A must have app well worth the price.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I installed PDAnet and have been using it with my tethered laptop for about an hour. Very impressive and super easy to install! I'm getting excellent speeds, too; according to my results at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, PDAnet compares favorably to the Sprint aircard I use on my work laptop. The SMS pass-thru feature is nice, too.

I have only a few concerns:
  • When I enabled the USB Debugging feature on my phone (as instructed by the installer), an ominous warning appeared...something about it opening up a potential security hole and about log files being exchanged. The notification area is also alerting me to this. Why must this feature be enabled on the phone for PDAnet to work...and must it remain enabled?
  • Windows 7 gave not one but two warnings about the device driver being unsigned--the second warning displaying in a red dialog box. I'm sure PDAnet is legit but I'd feel better if they would sign their code.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks