Answer to immediate battery loss?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I've tried searching but couldn't find it - has there been a definite answer as to why the phone loses roughly 7% of its charge minutes after you take it off the charger?

This morning when I left for work I noticed it was almost immediately down to 93% like usual, but when I got to work I was messing with it a bit more so I decided to plug it in to the charging cable here. However, after I charged it up and unplugged it, I realized that the phone then stayed at 100%. Three hours after unplugging it, I'm still at 95%.

Does anyone know what may have caused this? Has there been any official response from HTC about it?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not using the OEM battery - I switched to the Seidio 1750 mAh battery. Both have the same problem for me.

And honestly, the stickied battery thread isn't useful. It's over 60 pages - it's impossible to find relevant info in that thread.

Last edited:

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All the needed info is on the 1st 5 pages. If you are using the Seido then there is something running in the background that is taxing your battery. Get a program that will allow you to monitor running apps.

Sportplumber

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using the OEM battery - I switched to the Seidio 1750 mAh battery. Both have the same problem for me.

And honestly, the stickied battery thread isn't useful. It's over 60 pages - it's impossible to find relevant info in that thread.

+ 1 on Seidio 1750 experience and I don't have any apps running in the background. + 1 on battery thread as well.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
All the needed info is on the 1st 5 pages. If you are using the Seido then there is something running in the background that is taxing your battery. Get a program that will allow you to monitor running apps.

Like I said, it happens within minutes of unplugging the charger in the morning. There is nothing running in the background.

The only thing I could think of is that I'm not using the charging cable that came with the phone (the USB + adapter) to charge it at home - I'm using a cable from my BlackBerry Tour. Same type of cable, just different brand. I'm not sure if that makes a difference - I'll switch to the official HTC charger tonight and check.

And the first five pages of that thread are that are mostly fluff with some people making guesses. The thread simply is not useful, and at 60 pages it should be deleted and started anew with only relevant info.

Last edited:

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Its the 'bump' charge. Are you charging it with the phone on?

To fix it, either charge it with the phone off, or charge it with it on until it says its fully charged, unplug and wait a few minutes, and then charge it again to full. Should take another 15 minutes or so to get to full.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I know there are folks that disagree with me (and that's okay! :) ), but I believe the battery stops charging when its full and does not charge any more, even though its on the charger. Here's my example: you put the phone on the charger when you go to bed, it completes charging in a couple hours. It is then on "stand-by", not using much juice (depending upon what you have running in the background) until you un-plug it and start to use it. So, since it hasn't been charging for 3-4 hours, almost immediately it drops to it's correct charged level. Plug it back in and it will start charging again until full.

One of the threads suggest a long dance in which you turn off and plug in and turn on and plug in, but you're essentially doing the same thing. When you unplug, or restart your phone, it re-checks the charge and charges as necessary until full. I believe this is a measure by which the phone and battery are protected from over-charging. The Samsung Omnia does the same thing.

Best practice for me: charge it up over night. Then when I get up in the morning, I unplug it, check my email and whatever, then plug it back in while I get ready for work. Out the door with a true fullycharged battery.

As always, ymmv. ;)

mobiledevice

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can actually overcharge the battery. Bump charging (as far as I understand it) is when you:

1 charge the phone to full (green light) with it turned on
2 unplug and turn it off
3 charge to full again
4 turn the phone on, let it sit for 30 seconds or so
5 turn it off and charge to full

Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the light is immediately green upon plugging it in

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can actually overcharge the battery. Bump charging (as far as I understand it) is when you:

1 charge the phone to full (green light) with it turned on
2 unplug and turn it off
3 charge to full again
4 turn the phone on, let it sit for 30 seconds or so
5 turn it off and charge to full

Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the light is immediately green upon plugging it in

...and do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around..... :D

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
You can solve the battery problems by getting more batteries.
I got two batteries and a desk charger that charges them outside of the phone for $12
I got another battery and charger for home for $8. Both of these from ebay.
One of these batteries even has the HTC logo on them
Now when my battery goes low, I just swap in a fresh battery and I am good for the rest of the day.

6s1d9

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
This won't work for everyone I understand but if possible, turn your phone off and charge it overnight. I do and my battery lasts all day. UNLESS I'm constantly on it all day then it dies around 5-6pm'ish. I did like that suggestion about unplugging it, checking email/messages then back on the charger while you get ready. When my phone is unplugged and powered up, its at 100% for at least 2-3. Hours. Longer if I'm not constantly on it. Guess I'm just lucky.

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the phone does not need to be turned off and on for bump charging. i do the same as rpfarrah. i charge all night, wake up at 6:45am and unplug. by 7:15am its down to 93% and i never touched it once! at 7:15 i plug it back in and keep it there till i leave at 8am. its now noon and im at 95%!! with little use of course. this works wonders for me.

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Think u my thoughts exactly. It's dam sense killing battery. There aremore problems with Di them Md. If I had root this DI would rock. It's need a witch doctor to function
...and do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around..... :D

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I know there are folks that disagree with me (and that's okay! :) ), but I believe the battery stops charging when its full and does not charge any more, even though its on the charger. Here's my example: you put the phone on the charger when you go to bed, it completes charging in a couple hours. It is then on "stand-by", not using much juice (depending upon what you have running in the background) until you un-plug it and start to use it. So, since it hasn't been charging for 3-4 hours, almost immediately it drops to it's correct charged level. Plug it back in and it will start charging again until full.

One of the threads suggest a long dance in which you turn off and plug in and turn on and plug in, but you're essentially doing the same thing. When you unplug, or restart your phone, it re-checks the charge and charges as necessary until full. I believe this is a measure by which the phone and battery are protected from over-charging. The Samsung Omnia does the same thing.

Best practice for me: charge it up over night. Then when I get up in the morning, I unplug it, check my email and whatever, then plug it back in while I get ready for work. Out the door with a true fullycharged battery.

As always, ymmv. ;)

you are right my friend the phone doesnt stay on charging all night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton