Incredible Newbie

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Looks like my Incredible shipped yesterday so I cannot wait. This will be my first Android phone so I CANNOT WAIT! :cool:

Given that, would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions for a first time user and things you learned along the way.

What are your Top 5 Must Have Apps?

Is Google Voice worth using? Started looking into it, but seems I need an invite.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You will love it...I love Google earth, monsters, astrid task,mint and congress (shows local reps and new laws). Welcome and enjoy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting my new Droid any day now as well and the number one thing that I am getting is Google Voice. I have to get a new number anyway so I will be sending out my new GV number and eliminating my text messaging plan with the google voice app (Free sms with your data plan). Even if you have to pay for an invite it will be worth it. If you have an .edu or .mil email you can get an invite within 24hrs.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
From all that I have been hearing about it, sounds like you are right! :cool:

Any particular one place then to get apps?

You will love it...I love Google earth, monsters, astrid task,mint and congress (shows local reps and new laws). Welcome and enjoy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You'll really enjoy the Dinc. The main reason you'll love it is Verizon, of course. But the phone itself is really impressive. You'll want to get a skin/case for it. (I really like Verizon's high gloss silicone cover in black). And one app I really love is Timeriffic. It allows you to create custom profiles for phone settings throughout different times of the day. E.g. turn off wi-fi at 1am, set to vibrate at 10pm, etc. I also like Mint over Personal Assistant. (Same functionality for free!) Have fun!!

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have google voice...I only use it for the voicemail feature. It acts like a visual voice mail with text transcription. I love that I am able to read my voice mail, especially when I'm in a place where I can't put my phone to my ear.

I also love runner.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
That is my current issue; trying to figure how go about getting an invite for Google Voice.

I will be getting my new Droid any day now as well and the number one thing that I am getting is Google Voice. I have to get a new number anyway so I will be sending out my new GV number and eliminating my text messaging plan with the google voice app (Free sms with your data plan). Even if you have to pay for an invite it will be worth it. If you have an .edu or .mil email you can get an invite within 24hrs.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going with the Seidio InnoII Case "Combo".

Thanks for the suggestion on Timeriffic...I will have to check it out. :cool:

Is there a Sirius app?

You'll really enjoy the Dinc. The main reason you'll love it is Verizon, of course. But the phone itself is really impressive. You'll want to get a skin/case for it. (I really like Verizon's high gloss silicone cover in black). And one app I really love is Timeriffic. It allows you to create custom profiles for phone settings throughout different times of the day. E.g. turn off wi-fi at 1am, set to vibrate at 10pm, etc. I also like Mint over Personal Assistant. (Same functionality for free!) Have fun!!

DRKayak

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Try Locale. It let's you change volume settings or activate different functions based on different criteria like your location or time of day. Great to automatically mute the phone when at church. a movie, or after bed time. It than returns to original settings after criteria expire. The functions are not limited to volume changes but are any function the incredible can do. It puts the smart into smartphone.

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Droid World Is Fun

I am new to smartphones, new to Android and the Incredible. I am enjoying my phone a lot. What have I learned?? For one - the virtue of the long press. I found out that a long press on an item can open up a whole new world of submenus. Also, the forums are fantastic - especially this one and the forum on the phandroid site. I found out some useful things from the HTC support forum, too. I regularly check them to get insights on issues with the OS or the hardware or to catch up on smartphone news. If you haven't yet, I would definitely download the 200+ page manual from HTC. It's available on their site - or you can do a google search and pick up the download from there. It's the manual that should have come with the phone instead of that pitiful pamphlet put out by Verizon. I spent a lot of time scratching my head, trying to figure things out for myself and then got the manual.

I got the red silicone case from Verizon, which has worked out great so far. I also purchased the Invisible Shield for the front. So I feel like my phone is adequately protected (unless I drop it a sink full of water :eek:). If you do opt for the Invisible Shield, I would get it from a vendor that offers to put it on for you. I have heard many horror stories from people who have tried to apply it themselves.

For my Must Have Apps:

I really like Nav Launcher as the interface to the included Google Navigation app (still in beta). The launcher allows you to store favorite locations so you can access them whenever, you can also find locations via your contacts, your navigation history and get directions by voice;

There is a Live Aquarium wallpaper - 2 versions, one paid, one free. The free one is awesome, so I plan to upgrade. Just fish swimming in an ocean on your Incredible phone - so much fun!

Google Earth - how else can you get from Paris to Antarctica in five seconds flat??

App Brain - really helps to make sense of the Android app market, at least until Google straightens it out; and

Google Listen - I love listening to podcasts. I started out with the dpod podcatcher, but it was so convoluted that I had to uninstall. The easiest way to find and listen to podcasts on your phone, imho, is with this app.

I also really like Shazam,and Flixster. BTW, all of the apps I mentioned are free.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new phone. There's a lot of hype right now over the IPhone and the Evo, but I will take my DInc any day over those phones. :cool:

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
A few of my fav apps;
Astro File manager: the easiest way to save items to your SD card and not your internal memory. Great for moving music & videos to your SD.
Drop Box: a free 2G of external storage, allows you to keep docs or pics or whatever and not take up memory on your phone, can be accessed by any computer where ever you are.
Silent Mode On/Off: a great app with a widget that you tap once and it places your phone on vibrate, tap again and it places phone on silent mode, tap again and it is back to full ring. Great for business meetings and such.
Android System info: app has wealth of system info of your phone, battery percentage, apps running and task killer, internal and SD memory usage etc.
Note Everything: a great note pad, you can also get the noteeverything docs for all files.
Some of the basics, and all are free apps.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
When using Google Voice on Verizon, are you actually using your number of allowable minutes? If so, is this only if you are using Google Voice with a Google number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12