Upgrading from Storm, got a keyboard question

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm making the jump later in the month when shipments start picking up, and I'm getting really excited! I've been lurking on the AC boards for a few months wishing I could join the crowd, but felt like a faker so I never posted anything. So here I am, it's great to be here!

With most changes I'm sure I'll adapt over time and wonder how I ever did things differently, but I'm a little worried about 1 thing. I use the compact qwerty on my Storm exclusively. I've become very fast and accurate at it. Any phone I've used I just can't get used to the full keyboard, either in landscape or portrait. Is there a good stock or 3rd party keyboard that will feel like the one that is on my Blackberry?

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
the keyboard on this is 1000x better than the storm its fast accurate and the dictionary is amazing...you will master it if you just go into it with a clear mind and give it a few tries

sgtmilstack

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
the keyboard on this is 1000x better than the storm its fast accurate and the dictionary is amazing...you will master it if you just go into it with a clear mind and give it a few tries

+1. Additionally, the Incredible does have the compact QWERTY as an option in portrait mode.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

I refuse to change!! Seriously though, that's good to know. I HATE the landscape keyboard on the Storm. It's the worst typing experience I've ever had, and I'm including old school solid steel typewriters.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought the same thing when switching from my storm. Seriously though..the way the keyboard works on this thing makes the storm look silly. You will be happy when you make the switch.

tbdaly

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm making the jump later in the month when shipments start picking up, and I'm getting really excited! I've been lurking on the AC boards for a few months wishing I could join the crowd, but felt like a faker so I never posted anything. So here I am, it's great to be here!

With most changes I'm sure I'll adapt over time and wonder how I ever did things differently, but I'm a little worried about 1 thing. I use the compact qwerty on my Storm exclusively. I've become very fast and accurate at it. Any phone I've used I just can't get used to the full keyboard, either in landscape or portrait. Is there a good stock or 3rd party keyboard that will feel like the one that is on my Blackberry?

The keyboard is a lot better but do yourself the favor of finding the apk file for swype... you won't regret it.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
/\/\/\/\ How did I miss your post, tbdaly? I had this all typed out and hit preview and saw your recommendation.

Wow, there are a lot of ex-Storms here. Me included.

Have to agree with everyone else here. I was hesitant about another touch-screen only phone. I got to play with a live Inc the day before launch and ended up getting it on launch day. Haven't regretted it once.

As for your question about the keyboard, as was mentioned here, the stock keyboard is about 5 generations ahead of the BB Storm (1 or 2) keyboard. The hardest thing to get used to is not needing to push-click to type. By hardest thing, I mean you will get used to it in about 60 seconds (no exaggeration).

If you find yourself still wanting a little more in the keyboard department, you can check out Swype. To be honest, I didn't realize I even wanted a different keyboard than the one that comes stock on the Inc.

I read the thread below, and tried it for the hell of it. Takes a little more getting used to, but if you're proficient with the BB portrait keyboard, you'll love this.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible/15097-swype-incredible.html

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to lie, but I could type faster on my Storm2 with compact qwerty in portrait. The landscape experience is much nicer, but I found I could type a lot faster with my Storm2. I do have the beta SWYPE and I can type faster on that than the Storm2, but it can be frustrating at times.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, there are a lot of ex-Storms here. Me included.

To be honest that's why I posted this in the forum in the first place. I know that there are lots of people who were really burned by the storm and it's those same people who are now eligible for an upgrade, and the Incredible was released at the perfect time. And to think, I almost got a Pre Plus!

My 2 brothers both have the Eris and I used that for a little bit to try out the keyboard, but I wanted to know how ex-storm users feel about the DI keyboard.

I really appreciate the input guys, you seem like a much friendlier bunch than those poor souls over at CrackBerry!

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i was far faster on my storms suretype keyboard than the incredible compact keyboard. not even close. I actually hate the compact keyboard because it never seems to get the words right IMO. the normal keyboard on the Inc isnt all bad but still cant type as fast.

One think to note, the INC loves to save your mistakes to its dictionary too. which is also a pain to clear out. ugh. one of the least like features so far.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I came over to INC from a Storm primarily because i just could not deal with the BB internet experience. I really had no problems with my Storm however I know realize how really inferior the keyboards, touch screen, availability of useful apps and RIM OS really is. I looked at all of the Droids and it was abundantly clear that INC with Sense was the way to go for me. The keyboard in portrait or landscape has made me considerably more productive.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I too am a storm defector...

I wrestled with the poor OS on the Storm 1 for over a year .... being forced to install every leaked OS out to just get the phone to operate as advertised back when it got release... Towards the end, my Storm was finally the phone it should of been a year earlier, but it was too late...

As for the keyboard.... well, all I can say is that the keyboard experience on the Incredible has been just that... Incredible...

Lego!

tbdaly

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I was grumpy also when I was using a storm every day...lol, constantly checking crackberry for the next OS hybrid...eh, glad that's over!

jyoung

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi my name is Jeff and I too am a Blackberry Storm convert........Sounds like we all are in a huge Storm 1 or 2 support group!

I had the exact concerns with the keyboard. I really liked the compact keyboard (suretype i think it's called) and really got used to it. I played with an Incredible at my local VZW store and asked the rep about an equivalent keyboard. He said there wasn't one. So as I fooled around I found an option for X9 (i think that's what it's called) and bam! exactly the same thing. To be perfectly honest when I was comparing the MOTO Droid and the Incredible that was the shining moment that made up my mind. Showed the rep too he was surprised.

BTW. Still waiting for the damn thing to come! Ordered it back on the 20th

Hope this helps!!

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Aye...
An ex-Storm user here, too.
I find typing on the Incredible a much more pleasant experience.

Also, I agree with you... the people here are a much happier bunch than Crackberry.
I'm glad to be away from it!

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Also, I agree with you... the people here are a much happier bunch than Crackberry.
I'm glad to be away from it!

It's probably because they have to deal with a slow outdated OS, yet they feel like they need to hold on because of BBM. Heyo!

Lucky for me I only talk to a total of 3 people on BBM, and they all have gTalk anyways.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
One word "Swype", who types now a day still? With Swype (or shapewriter) you simply touch the screen scroll over the letters in the word and it gets it right, lift your finger press and scroll again for instant spaces etc etc etc.

When I came from surepress I was like, "nobody does a better keyboard than BB", and in some way I was right, it seems from time to time the more obscure words are missed by the Inc rather you are using swype or the stock keyboard, but after you add them to the dictionary (type it in and hit space) then it never misses again. (But then again the dictionary from BB looks to be wrote by a college professor while the Android one is more "new age" so it's missing some of the more old school words I throw around from time to time)

I have found myself MUCH faster on the Inc versus the BB, but with Swype. On the stock keyboard I'm with howarmat, it's about the same possibly slower and it missed more words. So each to his own, I love my Incredible!

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I was a storm user also and XT9 is way better...I'm way faster after a.few daysof getting use to it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I've heard a lot of good things about swype, I know that I'm definitely checking it out. How is it with 1 handed typing? I have a 4 month old son who, bless his heart, never EVER wants to be set down.

Wait, let me back track, of course it's good with 1 handed typing, that's how you use it. I'd go back and erase the question, but NO REGRETS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol