"Low on space"?

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok - so I woke up this morning and as usual, grabbed my phone to see what I "missed" in the few hours that I had been sleeping.

Well, I noticed a new notification in my notification bar, and went to see what that was all about. Here's what it says:

"Low on space"

What??? This struck me as odd, so I went over to see my available space in settings. Here's what I found:

SD Card:
Total space: 14.83 GB
Available space: 11.26 GB

Internal phone storage:
Total space: 6.60 GB
Available space: 6.24 GB

Phone memory:
Total space: 748 MB
Available space: 647 MB

What gives????? When I click on the notification, it brings me to the list of applications that I have. Now, I'm not running anything crazy on this device, I never do. I have a few apps, and that's about it. I have NO music or videos loaded onto it. It's pretty basic, standard.

Anyone else ever get this notification????

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
No never has this before? Could the device be letting too many things run in the background? If possible run Advanced Task Killer? I guess if all else pull the battery and see if that helps.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Don't use a task killer it will only cause more harm. I have a ton of apps, music, movies and have never seen that notification before. Try to power off and on and see if it comes back.

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it's cache related. I've had the same problem and based on some other threads it's a possible memory leak from one of the htc apps (mail, messaging, widgets). All I did was remove a couple apps I could do without, namely a few of the ones that take up the most space. Haven't had the message popup in 24 hours now. If it pops up again I'm afraid it's "hard reset" time as the big thread on this mentions others have had to do a hard reset and the problem has not resurfaced afterwards.

evilgood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So, what if you're not using HTC Mail?
The problem I have is that the Contacts DB is 90MB or more. I have Gmail and 3 gmail accounts synced to the phone.
3 account each have >1000 contacts, but, in reality, that export from gmail is 1MB or less as a text file.
I've tried to avoid connecting Peep, Facebook or Flickr via HTC sense to the contacts database, but I suspect that one of them is connected.

If I "Delete Contacts Data" will that sync back to Gmail???

Thanks in advance for any help. -EvilGood

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
evilgood - this was the precise problem! It was my contacts, it was over 100MB, once I deleted the contacts data, the problems went away, and after a few minutes my contacts all synced back.

Now I have no issues and my contacts are back down to about 10MB. All is well.

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate the links, they were for a different issue (I had read them prior to posting this link) but it was good to have reference to.

gmz73#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
mclarryjr...why do you not recommend task killer? My phone is going to be delivered Tuesday and that was one of the first apps I was going to get. Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
mclarryjr...why do you not recommend task killer? My phone is going to be delivered Tuesday and that was one of the first apps I was going to get. Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

There are several threads here that talk about this. Search? :)

lwirtjes

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
evilgood - this was the precise problem! It was my contacts, it was over 100MB, once I deleted the contacts data, the problems went away, and after a few minutes my contacts all synced back.

Now I have no issues and my contacts are back down to about 10MB. All is well.

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate the links, they were for a different issue (I had read them prior to posting this link) but it was good to have reference to.

This saved me, took a bit or searching for the answer, but this was my problem as well.
My contacts were at 110mg and now back to 850k, No more low space message.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont use any task killer programs either.To avoid any mistakes I might make by turning off programs that other programs might share data info with .

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
This saved me, took a bit or searching for the answer, but this was my problem as well.
My contacts were at 110mg and now back to 850k, No more low space message.

I also had this issue. I erased all my SMS messages and then it went away.
How did you erase all your contacts exactly? After my low disk space problem went away, I don't know how to get back to that same list again.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How did you erase all your contacts exactly?

Deleting contacts
Press HOME , and then tap > People.
On the All tab, press MENU, and then tap Delete.
Select the contacts you want to delete, and then tap Delete.
When prompted, tap OK.
To delete a single contact, on the All tab, press and hold the name of the contact (not the icon or
photo) who you want to delete and select Delete contact from the menu

If you are wanting your contacts back and they are synced with google

MENU>Accounts and Sync>sync all

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Deleting contacts
Press HOME , and then tap > People.
On the All tab, press MENU, and then tap Delete.
Select the contacts you want to delete, and then tap Delete.
When prompted, tap OK.
To delete a single contact, on the All tab, press and hold the name of the contact (not the icon or
photo) who you want to delete and select Delete contact from the menu

If you are wanting your contacts back and they are synced with google

MENU>Accounts and Sync>sync all

hmm that will erase it off my gmail too since i have them synced. plus i know how to delete contacts like that. i am trying to see how evilgood and DROIDBerryMA did it to free up memory as they stated in their posts # 8 & 9.

evilgood & DROIDBerryMA,
when i go to MENU, SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS, i see a spot that says "Contacts Storage", do I need to delete that and then sync again?

Last edited:

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got the "low on space" message after I tried to sync my Touchdown Contacts (which I had disabled previously after getting multiple duplicate contacts showing up).

I ended up going to manage apps and my Contacts Storage was at 83.11 megs. I clicked on that app in manage apps and clicked 'clear data'. I then let the HTC contact re-sync and now Contacts Storage is only at 20.27 megs and no error message.

I think there could be a conflict with HTC contacts and Touchdown, which is why I disabled Touchdown contacts from syncing. After installing Touchdown I kept seeing too many entries for the same contact and old data appearing too (old addresses).

But this 'clear data' and re-syncing is definitely better than doing a hard reset...

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
And if you don't want to look at a gadzillion pages, here's the Reader's Digest version: Painful as it might be, do a factory reset.

I think it's under settings > privacy on pre-Froyo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki