Anyone rooted yet

Nightline

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yep, did it last night. Although the video was fast paced, I just watched it through, then followed along on the second watch pausing as needed.

Its nice to have Wifi-Tether again, thats the only reason I wanted to root. I had my Moto Droid rooted, so have been missing my tether for a few weeks.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
wifi tether does sound nice. now only if root could give me wifi charging, so I didn't have to plug the damn phone in to the wall or computer. =)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I joined the rooted ranks last night. Had to rewatch parts of the video a couple times that moved along a little fast, and had to follow the sd card removal tip posted in the comments of the article, but overall the process only took about 20 minutes. Tethering works like a charm, it's nice to be able to use SetCPU, etc. Now I'm eagerly awaiting a 2.2 rom like the rest of you :D

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i'm going to try it. i keep hearing people having issues about the SD card part. SeizedPropaganda, did you use your memory card that came with the phone? that's what i plan on using.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I read that a PNY 2GB card gaurantees compatability, so I went to Best Buy and bought one for $10 and will be trying tonite. If you are cheap, you can always wipe the card and return it to the store when you are done.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is rooted does that void warranty or anything? Also, does rooting prevent OTA updates sent out by VZW or HTC?

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is rooted does that void warranty or anything? Also, does rooting prevent OTA updates sent out by VZW or HTC?

Yes, and yes (I think).

I'm not totally sure if this root blocks OTA updates. But it does void the warranty (any root does that).

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i thought i heard that you can still do over the air updates, but then your root access is gone until the experts figure out how to root it on the newer version. i could be wrong. this is my first time rooting. it wasn't this difficult with BB as far as getting hybrid OS builds, so I am not too sure how it all works on android phones.

voiding warranty, i have heard the same thing, how it is voided afterwards. what i don't understand, if you put a new software revision on your phone, how can someone tell you rooted it once before? i'm guessing there is some permanent firmware change once you root your phone.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i'm going to try it. i keep hearing people having issues about the SD card part. SeizedPropaganda, did you use your memory card that came with the phone? that's what i plan on using.

Yes I did. I'm not sure which one came with your phone but I got mine on launch day and was given an 8 gig scandisc I believe. If you run into a problem just follow these steps, worked like a charm for me afterwards.

1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

gotroot801

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
One thing I've found is that adb doesn't kick in on the phone for about 10 seconds after the red recovery icon pops up on the phone screen. I had been rebooting automatically and giving up as soon as the icon showed up, but got distracted one time and... voila!

It'll be interesting to see what ROMs get cooked up for this phone going forward.

SCMoney360

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have some questions for those who has completed the root....

1. Does this mean you can get rid of CityID and various other VZW crapware?
2. Can you remove sense and go vanillia android?
3. Do you feel awesome-er after doing this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan