Anyone rooted yet

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
blakeyece,

Wifi Tether allows your device to be visible as a wireless access point by other wireless devices.

Steve in CT

drjrdemelo

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried to overclock it yet?

I don't believe it works with just the root; we have to alter the kernel as well..I actually tried to underclock it (battery life people) but it just kept bouncing between 24x mhz and 993mhz..didn't seem to have any effect.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried and never could get adb to pick up in recovery. Didn't try the SD Card trick as I already determined the only reason I want root is to get rid of CityID. Then I noticed CityID isn't even running anymore anyways. I can tether via bluetooth or USB with PDAnet and don't need other devices connecting so that isn't an issue with me. So I think I'll stay where I'm at till there are more options with root that I may actually use.

It does void your warranty, but when you flash a new O/S your root is gone if it's an offical update.

You should still get OTA's with stock rooted ROM.

OTA's get broken with "cooked" ROMS.

You can brick your phone so YMMV, good luck guys!

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did. I'm not sure which one came with your phone but I got mine on launch day and was given an 8 gig scandisc I believe. If you run into a problem just follow these steps, worked like a charm for me afterwards.

1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

thanks for the tips. still couldn't get it to work. i tried every combination of timing when removing and putting back in the SDcard. the issue i have is when i finally hear the DETACHED sound, i put in the SDcard well before the white screen goes away. but then i hear the attached sound after the screen turns black. not sure if that has any affect on it. but anyhow, i guess i will wait till another method. the video is actually pretty good, sucks i can't get past this one part!
BTW i got mine on launch day too, but mine came with a 2GB Sandisk card.

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am very much on the fence about rooting my phone. I want to do it but I don't want to brick my baby. Have there been any reports of anyone bricking their Inc doing this procedure?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am very much on the fence about rooting my phone. I want to do it but I don't want to brick my baby. Have there been any reports of anyone bricking their Inc doing this procedure?

not that i know of but i hear people getting stuck in the middle of process not knowing what to do

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I rooted last night using the SD card trick with popping it out and back in. Took a few tries but finally got it to work fine. So far I've tethered with it and added LauncherPro. I also added Fancy Widget so I could get the HTC clock back. SuperUser FTW.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I rooted last night using the SD card trick with popping it out and back in. Took a few tries but finally got it to work fine. So far I've tethered with it and added LauncherPro. I also added Fancy Widget so I could get the HTC clock back. SuperUser FTW.

Can't you do all that without root? lol

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get LauncherPro to install before. And tethering needed root I'm pretty sure. So yeah, I guess 1 out of the 3 things I listed I could do without root.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
LauncherPro worked for me without being rooted not sure why you had a problem. I'm going to have to try the sdcard trick later tonight. I tried the 10 minute video last nigth with 3 different card and it was a no go. I know there not much to do as of right now with root but it has become a challenge that I have to win.

nuke3ae

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Once I root my phone, how do you actually go about uninstalling CityId and any other locked apps? I saw on the one linked instructions page to type some text to uninstall, is that done on the phone or on a pc?

Thanks

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
LauncherPro worked for me without being rooted not sure why you had a problem. I'm going to have to try the sdcard trick later tonight. I tried the 10 minute video last nigth with 3 different card and it was a no go. I know there not much to do as of right now with root but it has become a challenge that I have to win.

The only thing I am interested in is the wireless tethering. But I don't think that's what I'm looking for, I need a wireless "modem" hence bluetooth connection I'm using now. Because from time to time I need to tether my desktop computer to it when working on other things. So I'm still up in the air about that.

Anywho the video didn't help me one bit, after a bit of thinking I believe I'm going to start trying the SD card trick this afternoon and see what's happening with it.

One BIG question I've got is does anyone computer with W7 Pro x64 actually make the usb disconnect sound when they disconnect their phone? The HTC drivers are installed on the computer it picks up as an Android Device in device manager, and it shows on the trackball + power button, when it starts up, as Android 1.0 with no driver installed. Do I need that driver? And if so where do I find it? I can connect to it via adb just not when I need to to perform root. Any help is appreciated.

HTC Sync Installed
HTC Driver Installed
Android SDK Installed
Java JDE/JRE Installed

Anything I'm missing here?

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok quick fix to the driver missing for the "Android 1.0" inside your device manager when in the "bootloader" menu.

Goto your sdk installation, open up the usb_driver folder. Inside that folder you will see an "amd64" and "i386" folder along with an inf file and a couple of cat files.

Open up the "android_winusb.inf" and add underneath the ;Google NexusOne :

;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94

Then goto device manager, right click on "Android 1.0" goto properties then click on update driver. Once there browser your computer and select the folder which contains the file you just edited. Windows Vista/7 and probably XP will complain that its an unknown driver from an untrusted source etc, hit install anyways or ok. Once installed your device manager will refresh listing a new device under Android USB Devices called:

HTC Bootloader

And we're off......

kelleybp

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Is it the exact same clock, or a ported look-alike?

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone try some of those autorun programs that prevent programs from running when you start the phone? I know those require root, and that's what I'd really like to rock!

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
i rooted the first night that the exploit was discovered. took a bit of time but it's been worth it. i got rid of city id, can now use drocap2, autostarts, and of course wifi tether.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone try some of those autorun programs that prevent programs from running when you start the phone? I know those require root, and that's what I'd really like to rock!

autostarts works. i just got it today and can confirm it does work. no more backup assistant, bluetooth share, and a whole bunch of other apps i don't use starting upon startup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX