06-16-2010 04:29 PM
57 123
tools
    Yes I did. I'm not sure which one came with your phone but I got mine on launch day and was given an 8 gig scandisc I believe. If you run into a problem just follow these steps, worked like a charm for me afterwards.

1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
    2. Plug in the USB cable
    3. Press power again to select fastboot.
    4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
    5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
    6. Try to get into shell.
    7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.
    thanks for the tips. still couldn't get it to work. i tried every combination of timing when removing and putting back in the SDcard. the issue i have is when i finally hear the DETACHED sound, i put in the SDcard well before the white screen goes away. but then i hear the attached sound after the screen turns black. not sure if that has any affect on it. but anyhow, i guess i will wait till another method. the video is actually pretty good, sucks i can't get past this one part!
    BTW i got mine on launch day too, but mine came with a 2GB Sandisk card.
    06-15-2010 09:51 AM
    I am very much on the fence about rooting my phone. I want to do it but I don't want to brick my baby. Have there been any reports of anyone bricking their Inc doing this procedure?
    06-15-2010 10:16 AM
    I am very much on the fence about rooting my phone. I want to do it but I don't want to brick my baby. Have there been any reports of anyone bricking their Inc doing this procedure?
    not that i know of but i hear people getting stuck in the middle of process not knowing what to do
    06-15-2010 10:32 AM
    I rooted last night using the SD card trick with popping it out and back in. Took a few tries but finally got it to work fine. So far I've tethered with it and added LauncherPro. I also added Fancy Widget so I could get the HTC clock back. SuperUser FTW.
    06-15-2010 11:22 AM
    I rooted last night using the SD card trick with popping it out and back in. Took a few tries but finally got it to work fine. So far I've tethered with it and added LauncherPro. I also added Fancy Widget so I could get the HTC clock back. SuperUser FTW.
    Can't you do all that without root? lol
    06-15-2010 11:26 AM
    Can't you do all that without root? lol
    lmao
    06-15-2010 11:30 AM
    I couldn't get LauncherPro to install before. And tethering needed root I'm pretty sure. So yeah, I guess 1 out of the 3 things I listed I could do without root.
    06-15-2010 12:42 PM
    LauncherPro worked for me without being rooted not sure why you had a problem. I'm going to have to try the sdcard trick later tonight. I tried the 10 minute video last nigth with 3 different card and it was a no go. I know there not much to do as of right now with root but it has become a challenge that I have to win.
    06-15-2010 01:00 PM
    Once I root my phone, how do you actually go about uninstalling CityId and any other locked apps? I saw on the one linked instructions page to type some text to uninstall, is that done on the phone or on a pc?

Thanks
    06-15-2010 01:13 PM
    LauncherPro worked for me without being rooted not sure why you had a problem. I'm going to have to try the sdcard trick later tonight. I tried the 10 minute video last nigth with 3 different card and it was a no go. I know there not much to do as of right now with root but it has become a challenge that I have to win.
    The only thing I am interested in is the wireless tethering. But I don't think that's what I'm looking for, I need a wireless "modem" hence bluetooth connection I'm using now. Because from time to time I need to tether my desktop computer to it when working on other things. So I'm still up in the air about that.

Anywho the video didn't help me one bit, after a bit of thinking I believe I'm going to start trying the SD card trick this afternoon and see what's happening with it.

One BIG question I've got is does anyone computer with W7 Pro x64 actually make the usb disconnect sound when they disconnect their phone? The HTC drivers are installed on the computer it picks up as an Android Device in device manager, and it shows on the trackball + power button, when it starts up, as Android 1.0 with no driver installed. Do I need that driver? And if so where do I find it? I can connect to it via adb just not when I need to to perform root. Any help is appreciated.

HTC Sync Installed
    HTC Driver Installed
    Android SDK Installed
    Java JDE/JRE Installed

Anything I'm missing here?
    06-15-2010 01:52 PM
    Ok quick fix to the driver missing for the "Android 1.0" inside your device manager when in the "bootloader" menu.

Goto your sdk installation, open up the usb_driver folder. Inside that folder you will see an "amd64" and "i386" folder along with an inf file and a couple of cat files.

Open up the "android_winusb.inf" and add underneath the ;Google NexusOne :

;HTC Incredible
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
    %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94

Then goto device manager, right click on "Android 1.0" goto properties then click on update driver. Once there browser your computer and select the folder which contains the file you just edited. Windows Vista/7 and probably XP will complain that its an unknown driver from an untrusted source etc, hit install anyways or ok. Once installed your device manager will refresh listing a new device under Android USB Devices called:

HTC Bootloader

And we're off......
    omgbeav likes this.
    06-15-2010 03:01 PM
    Is it the exact same clock, or a ported look-alike?
    06-15-2010 03:46 PM
    Anyone try some of those autorun programs that prevent programs from running when you start the phone? I know those require root, and that's what I'd really like to rock!
    06-15-2010 09:44 PM
    i rooted the first night that the exploit was discovered. took a bit of time but it's been worth it. i got rid of city id, can now use drocap2, autostarts, and of course wifi tether.
    06-15-2010 10:05 PM
    Anyone try some of those autorun programs that prevent programs from running when you start the phone? I know those require root, and that's what I'd really like to rock!
    autostarts works. i just got it today and can confirm it does work. no more backup assistant, bluetooth share, and a whole bunch of other apps i don't use starting upon startup.
    06-15-2010 10:08 PM
    Ok quick fix to the driver missing for the "Android 1.0" inside your device manager when in the "bootloader" menu.

Goto your sdk installation, open up the usb_driver folder. Inside that folder you will see an "amd64" and "i386" folder along with an inf file and a couple of cat files.

Open up the "android_winusb.inf" and add underneath the ;Google NexusOne :

;HTC Incredible

Then goto device manager, right click on "Android 1.0" goto properties then click on update driver. Once there browser your computer and select the folder which contains the file you just edited. Windows Vista/7 and probably XP will complain that its an unknown driver from an untrusted source etc, hit install anyways or ok. Once installed your device manager will refresh listing a new device under Android USB Devices called:

HTC Bootloader

And we're off......
    Wow, thanks a million. I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out. The only thing I would add is that you forgot a ; after what you wrote. Took me scratching my head for a few seconds to figure it out. Here's what I got to work (the stuff in bold is what I pasted in)

;Google NexusOne
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02&MI_01
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E11
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E12&MI_01

[Google.NTamd64]
    ;HTC Incredible
    ;
    06-15-2010 10:35 PM
    Oh opps I was copy and pasting from my file, I may have missed it. Glad it worked for ya!
    06-15-2010 10:47 PM
    I rooted tonight, it took me about 30 min it's easier then it sounds when you just slow down and follow the steps. I'm using the 16 gb card that came with my moto droid.

So far I've got drocap, lamppu, and wireless tether all work great. I've very happy I spent the time to do it.
    06-16-2010 12:11 AM
    Once I root my phone, how do you actually go about uninstalling CityId and any other locked apps? I saw on the one linked instructions page to type some text to uninstall, is that done on the phone or on a pc?
    You have to do it before you reboot after the rooting procedure. It is the only time you can do it right now since after the reboot, NAND protects the /system/apps area.

The instructions on how to do it have been on the Revoked wiki almost since the beginning.
    06-16-2010 12:18 AM
    I've tried everything and nothing seems to work... I've tried three different methods, two computers and three different types of cards (PNY, SanDisk and Kingston). I'm losing my mind
    06-16-2010 12:20 AM
    Wow, thanks a million. I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out. The only thing I would add is that you forgot a ; after what you wrote. Took me scratching my head for a few seconds to figure it out. Here's what I got to work (the stuff in bold is what I pasted in)
    What is the default install location for the SDK install? Not sure where to look for the file that needs to be modified.
    06-16-2010 06:43 AM
    I tried but when i click the SDK.Setup file the screen just flashes black and doesnt actually install it. Gonna try from a different computer today
    06-16-2010 06:59 AM
    I've tried 3 different computers (win 7 x64, and server 2008 r2), and 5 different sd cards (2gb, 4gb, and 8gb...even the pny 2gb one).

I am still unable to root. It's so irritating. I can't get the adb shell to recognize. I've tried the sd card trick with popping it in and out while windows is recognizing it and that didn't work either.

Anybody got any ideas?

My hboot is 77, and i got my incredible from best buy at launch.

**note, i just tried th unusal block size trick, and that didn't work either. i want to punch a baby.

**update: The baby is safe! It worked! I used this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=703589 with pny 2gb sd. fresh slow format. fat32. 1024 block. worked at 2 seconds exactly.
    06-16-2010 09:40 AM
    What is the default install location for the SDK install? Not sure where to look for the file that needs to be modified.
    Wherever you unzipped the sdk after you downloaded it and ran setup. Same folder. So far I have tried Linux, Windows XP, XP x64, Vista, 7 x64, and two different flavors of Linux. Nothing has worked for me. I have different memory cards, but they are all the same class and brand. So I think I'm just giving up on root for the time being until something a bit more "non-luck" shows it's face.
    06-16-2010 11:09 AM
    So I don't have a usb_driver folder. I folloed the video instructions perfectly
    06-16-2010 11:19 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD