Should I stay or should I go?

incredibull

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to decide what to do with this phone I've become so attached to, and am interested in hearing from folks in this group as you've had the same device.

This is my first Droid, the first phone I really used for internet and email, and over all it has been GREAT to me. Use mostly for email, text, Facebook, taking pictures, surfing the web, watching videos, listening to music (Pandora, Winamp w my library mostly).
Pros: Like the HTC interface, battery life ok, mostly easy to use, Verizon network (been w them for YEARS)
Cons: bumping up against memory limits again, more battery life would be really nice, would like front & rear cameras for video chat (my niece is 2), videos lag sometimes, wondering if there's more to life than paying $95/month for voice & data.

Options:

-keep the phone, possibly root it for ICS (I'm not super-techy but it seems like clear instructions exist and there's lots of GREAT support on this forum.) Buy an extended battery. Do some major housecleaning like deleting texts I really don't need (all of them)

-I'm due for an upgrade, so go for the Motorola Razr Maxx before Verizon re-does the data plans. Enjoy screamin' battery life. Leery if the interface is as nice on the Motorola as it is on HTC. (Motorola still makes me think of Star-Tac flip phones, I've never had one of their phones). BTW they are beyond blissed-out over there on the Razr Maxx forum, and hey, it's pretty cool to see people that satisfied with their phones.

-Decided against Galaxy Nexus (too many complaints) and Rezound (Razr Maxx' battery seems to trump it if I'm going to stay w Verizon).

-Jump ship to Virgin Mobile and scoop up one of their HTC Evo V 4G's. Hearing hardly any chatter on them and I know I will have to wait for one. But it would mean keeping HTC which has been great, adding that front camera, getting 4G, and saving $1310-ish over the course of 2 years vs getting the Razr Maxx and staying w Verizon. Would also mean being on Sprint's network, but my brother's been w them for a while and has been pretty pleased (his first smartphone). One downside: their forum is, um, in its infancy. And I'm more the stand-back-and-see-how-it-performs type than the buy-the-latest-greatest-NOW type. I don't think this will happen but it would be awful to get one and have it wind up being the next Nexus. And will they offer an extended battery?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You could wait for the previously announced DROID Incredible 4G LTE (no release date announced yet).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

incredibull

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies!

It sounds like you're betting:

1. this won't be a dud like the Inc2
2. the new data plans won't be a huge increase

I averaged about 650MB the past few months but I'm guessing that could increase a lot w 4G.

pmoser

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Is wait for the next batch of phones like others have mentioned like the indcredible 4g, galaxy s3, razr maxx with an hd screen or some phones from other operating systems. Things are heating up and there will soon be a bunch of new Android phones.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus, and, despite all the complaints, it seems to be running quite smoothly. No dropped calls, random reboots or signal issues yet (and my signal seems better since upgrading to 4.04 this morning). Also, even though I love HTC Sense, stock ICS is awesome.

If you're looking to stick with Verizon, I don't imagine there's going to be much of an improvement in the lineup for quite a while. The Dinc 4G is essentially the HTC One S, which is disappointing, since one would have hoped that Verizon would support the HTC One X. I wouldn't hold my breath for a Verizon GS III, since we didn't get a GS II (although we did get the Nexus).

My Dinc was (still is) a great phone, but it was time to upgrade, as it was starting to get slow, and the memory bug was really becoming a frequent, major annoyance, where it was an occasional minor one before. I'm not putting it out of use entirely, I'll have uses for it over wifi (Google Music, maybe some VoIP, etc), but I needed a new daily driver.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to retire my Incredible, ordered the SGSIII this morning.I never had any real issues with my Incredible it served me well.
The Incredible was my first Android phone and she was a blast.I still have the original box it came in.
I don't want to sell it, maybe even break it out once in awhile.:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: socalcollins

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My only real reservation with the Nexus and the SGIII is Sammy's rep for weak radios. I have enough fringe and dead spots in my area without adding a weak radio to the mix.

<<So Confused>>

confused-blackfive.net_.jpg

Reactions: incredibull

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I am with Pville. My Dinc typically kicks the crap out of my wifes Facinate when it comes to the radio. As much as I would LOVE to get the new SGIII, I cant justify the $200-$250 when my DInc works just fine

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I really like the One series HTC's, the DInc 4G is as close as we're going to get though. So I'm waiting on the feedback for the SIII and the 4G when they eventually come out.

Reactions: incredibull

jmcharles

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I, too, have moved on from the Incredible. Preordered the GS3 first thing on the 6th. If you haven't rooted and you want to hold out for future phones, definitely do it! I rooted about a year ago and there is so much fun to be had. Currently running a very stable ICS that if I wanted to, could keep me content another 6 months to a year.

But...I went with the GS3, as I'm a 2yr + kind of phone owner and I see it as having lots of dev support and the insides to back it up for that long.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Android Central Forums

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I had planned to keep the OG Incredible till it dies and couldn't be brought back, but my wife talked me into getting an SIII.

Wasnt impressed with the Inc4G specs or else I would have gone that road

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463