People App and Messaging?

jnick#AC

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let's say I have a new contact. I input a name, Mobile phone, Home Phone and an email address. I then save the contact.

So the contact looks like:

John Doe:
Mobile - XXX-XXX-1234
Home - XXX-XXX-5678
-----
Email: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com

Now I want to send John a SMS. I launch the People app, click 'John Doe' and see the following:

Call Mobile (xxx-xxx-1234) ---------Primary
Call Home (xxx-xxx-5678)
Send Message (xxx-xxx-1234)
Send Message (xxx-xxx-5678)
Send Email (xxxxx@xxxxx.com) -------------- Primary

So now I have a dilemma. Remember, I want to send an SMS, or 'Send Message'. However, I have two choices. One of which is the home phone number, that cannot receive any type of SMS, obviously. So not only is it listing the home number as being able to receive text messages, it also does not label the 'Send Message' listings as "Mobile" or "Home".

Instead, I have to either memorize everyone's phone numbers or dross reference each send message number to the 'Call mobile' entry on the contact's information screen.

Is there any way to either NOT have the phone list home numbers for messaging, or have it label each 'Send a Message' field to 'Mobile' or 'Home'?

Thank you!

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was kinda odd. I don't use people to initiate messages, I use the messages app, start typing the persons name and I believe it gives you the mobile or primary number first. I'm not 100% sure but I have never had to choose anything but the first number for anyone I have sent a text to.

Aaron

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I loved the way my Moto Droid would automatically bring up JUST the mobile numbers of a contact when I sent SMS messages. Definitely a problem with the Inc. The solution that I have found, is if you hold the phone up and down, I guess the portrait view, it will list the numbers and say whether they are mobile, home or whatever. If the phone is held sideways, you won't get those same options and the phone just lists the names and numbers leaving it up to you to remember which one is home, mobile, etc. Isn't the best solution, but it works for me. I still LOVE this phone a ton more than any other phone I have ever owned. Including the Moto Droid.

Bryan

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah well on the nexus, the stock contacts app, when you go to write a text they ONLY show mobile numbers, and not the home numbers. but so many people complained about this in the google forums because not everybody has theri contacts setup correctly. so i guess HTC sense changed this with the people app. but i know my nexus still does this, so you are not out of line with your request. its just sense UI probably changed this.