Abandoning the Incredible to Wait for Droid X

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
I ordered my Incredible on 6/6, in store. Just this week, it was announced that the Droid X/Shadow/Whatever is going to be launching on July 19th.

The pros to the X seem to be:
  • More efficient processor (potentially better battery life)
  • Better GPU
  • Larger Screen
  • HD Recording
  • Solid, metal build

The huge downside is that I already have an iPad. The Droid X is massive. Some users prefer that. But to me, a phone is still supposed to be portable. I should be able to slip it into my pocket without worrying about emptying other stuff out of it to fit.

I ordered the Droid Incredible on June 6th. I'm not expecting it to be at my door until June 28th. By then, it would be less than 3 weeks before a 'better' Android device is on the market. So do I wait the three weeks, get a more powerful device, and deal with the lack of portability? Or do I stick with a phone-sized phone?

Some will mention the lackluster ShadowBlur. But if I'm not mistaken, it's running NinjaBlur which is apparently a less intrusive skin, and it can possibly be disabled.

This isn't the typical case of "If I buy now, the next one will be here in six months." My device hasn't even arrived and just TWO WEEKS later there will be a more powerful device.

I guess it comes down to what's important.

If it's portability, lightweight, if you enjoy the Sense UI, don't care about HD recording, and can't wait two weeks, the Incredible is for you. But if you want a more powerful machine that's built more "rugged" that happens to be the size of a license plate, wait and go with the X.

Decisions decisions. For you guys who have the Incredible. Would you trade it for the X if you had the choice. Any Incredible orderers ditching their Incredible to jump ship?

Thanks

Last edited:

x.v_

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think I would trade myself... I got mine on release day though, so no option here. I'm very satisfied with my decision (I don't regret buying it).

Why WOULDN'T I want the latest and greatest though? ^.^

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
Ha. Good point. But I think that "greatest" is dependent on the user. I showed the Droid X to my wife and she burst out laughing at the size. It looks like something out of The Onion. But others (myself included), see the screen real estate being worth the extra bulk of the phone.

Not to get into a Droid X vs. Incred thread, but the Incredible's camera seems to be doing an amazing job, based off of some of the pictures I've seen posted on this forum.

Last edited:

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
HTC has been producing great products. I have never been impressed by Motorola.

I've heard that some really like the solid, metal, rugged feel to their phone. Others want a sleek option.

When I showed my wife a picture of the Incredible, she replied: "Oh, it's like an iPhone".

In fact I think someone from this forum jumped ship from the Incredible JUST because it looks too much like the iPhone. Silly...but whatever.

The point is, it's nice to have choices. It seems like you don't "lose" either way.

sail4fun201

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have never been a motorola fan, either.

Plus I think the X is too big. Even the EVO is too big for my tastes; the picture of the X, EVO, and iPhone make the iPhone look like a tiny phone. It's like holding a butter dish to your face when you're on the phone, it's harder to pocket, it's awkward to type one-handed on. The list goes on and on. I don't need a screen any bigger than the Incredible's, and there's really no compelling reason to get an X.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I showed the Droid X to my wife and she burst out laughing at the size. It looks like something out of The Onion.

LMAO!

I think they are 2 totally different devices. It is really hard to pick one over the other, but if the X had Sense on it, I would pick that one in a heartbeat.

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
I think that the majority of people who end up buying the X are people who do most of their work within Android and talk on the phone very little. I put a device of this size in the category of "Slate that can make phone calls".

But if it's easier to strip Blur than it is Sense, and if the processor is equally powerful yet more efficient, and if a certain consumer values screen real estate over portability, he's got a great phone.

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
The best part about this is that we have options. If it's too big, we win with the Incredible. If someone needs HD recording, they win with the X. If someone needs a physical keyboard, he wins in August with the Droid 2. It's obvious that these phones were designed for specific types of users. I'm leaning toward no-keyboard/portability/with crisp resolution

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
IMO the Incredible hit the perfect size and weight... I'm still glad we have so many good choices.

I think we're close. I'd guess the sweet-spot is between 3.7-4.1 inches. Any bigger than that and it begins to get ridiculous; at least for my use of it.

I'm glad to stay with my Incredible and hoping that others jump ship so that mine comes sooner. :p

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The only moto I liked was the moto q9m...
I held the sprint evo just for giggles to compare to my INC and I honestly can say if both were on Verizon I still would chose the INC.
I love the size, etc. of the Incredible.
I think they got it 90% right. The trackpad should go bye bye, the charing port I wish was near the top of the device and I wish there was a lens cap but other than that I am happy

kroman1107

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My incred arrives on 07/12 I was thinking the same thing but I have an eris now and like sense ui I don't know much about motoblur never used it haven't hears great stuff about it. The processer speed is all that's got my attention my eris freezes and jacks up alot I just was a faster more efficient phone. Hmm too many phones coming at once

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
My incred arrives on 07/12 I was thinking the same thing but I have an eris now and like sense ui I don't know much about motoblur never used it haven't hears great stuff about it. The processer speed is all that's got my attention my eris freezes and jacks up alot I just was a faster more efficient phone. Hmm too many phones coming at once

Well, if you like but don't LOVE Sense UI, then you'll probably feel the same about the new version of motoBlur which is supposed to suck less. I've also been reading that it's not difficult to strip it back to vanilla if need be.

Both the Incredible and X are "faster more efficient" phones than what you have now. The big differences are the sizes of the phones, camera quality. battery life, processor speed/efficiency....

Choose what's most important to you. The nice part is, you can't go wrong.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think we're close. I'd guess the sweet-spot is between 3.7-4.1 inches. Any bigger than that and it begins to get ridiculous; at least for my use of it.

I'm glad to say with my Incredible and hoping that others jump ship so that mine comes sooner. :p

And you realize that the screen on the X is 4.4 inches. It does have the same speed processor and arguably a better one, but I wouldn't listen to the hype. Supposedly the "better" part of that processor would be extended battery life, that gets eaten by the bigger screen. To me the EVO was too big, and this is even bigger, heavier etc etc. This phone will be put into the skip it category for me. Think I'll sit happily with my Incredible until something a lot better comes out. And these phones aren't a lot better, and in my opinion any better unless you want the big screen or metal body.

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
And you realize that the screen on the X is 4.4 inches. It does have the same speed processor and arguably a better one, but I wouldn't listen to the hype. Supposedly the "better" part of that processor would be extended battery life, that gets eaten by the bigger screen. To me the EVO was too big, and this is even bigger, heavier etc etc. This phone will be put into the skip it category for me. Think I'll sit happily with my Incredible until something a lot better comes out. And these phones aren't a lot better, and in my opinion any better unless you want the big screen or metal body.

Right. It's that 'unless'. Some people put value in how solid a phone is built. Another puts value in recording in HD. Another take value in having enough screen space to play games and surf the net.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Exactly and only you know the answer to that, so why ask anyone else lol. I say get it if it makes you happy.

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com

All arguing aside. There's a phone out there for everyone right there. Lets just help each other find it.