An astute reader stumbled upon an interesting bug with the HTC Incredible. The Incredible, with Sense UI, will periodically store screenshots of the contents of your web browser. The screen captures are a function of the HTC Sense UI bookmark widget and are not the main issue; temporary screen grabs are understandable. The problem is these JPEG files are extremely hard to get rid of. They remain when the current browser session is closed, they remain after you clear the browser history, and they remain after a full factory reset. The JPEG files are saved to a folder named .bookmark_thumb1 which is located within the emmc folder of the phones internal storage (so you would expect a full factory reset to delete them). We found some screenshots of us logged into Facebook, logged into our online banking website, and viewing several other mundane websites (see picture above) even after having completed a factory reset. We tested this on more than one stock, un-rooted HTC DROID Incredible and replicated it several times. While you can delete these images manually, information like this information should be nuked with a factory reset, no? To be honest, seeing a screenshot of our logged-in banking session after a reset was a bit unnerving. Any DROID Incredible owners out there seeing the same thing?

Browser privacy issue with DROID Incredible and HTC Sense UI widget? Boy Genius Report
    Droid Incredible saves browser screenshots to internal memory, turns into a privacy nightmare? -- Engadget
    06-17-2010 09:49 AM
    I'm not worried.
    06-17-2010 09:55 AM
    a factory reset does not clear internal storage. it clears the ROM and restores that.

all you have to do if you want to wipe your information (pictures and files like that) is go to settings, sd card and storage, and wipe phone storage.

i don't understand why people are making this sound like some HUGE security flaw. your PC stores things like this all the time. and if someone wants it from your phone they need to physically have your phone, plug it into a computer (or use a file manager) and take it off.

if someone can do that to you without your knowledge, then having some of your browsing history stolen is the LEAST of your worries.
    iamtone likes this.
    06-17-2010 10:02 AM
    The location for these files (in the Incredible) is /emmc/.bookmark_thumbs1/

This is in your phone's operating system storage. That's not on the SD card or in the internal storage. You can only find this directory with Astro or another file manager. Hooking it up with the data cable and browsing with your computer won't show you anything.

I'd rank this as very annoying.

At least the images are very very low res. Hard to actually read any of the captured text.
    06-17-2010 10:05 AM
    a factory reset does not clear internal storage. it clears the ROM and restores that.

all you have to do if you want to wipe your information (pictures and files like that) is go to settings, sd card and storage, and wipe phone storage.

i don't understand why people are making this sound like some HUGE security flaw. your PC stores things like this all the time. and if someone wants it from your phone they need to physically have your phone, plug it into a computer (or use a file manager) and take it off.

if someone can do that to you without your knowledge, then having some of your browsing history stolen is the LEAST of your worries.
    IMO, the problem isn't the fact that it is storing them, it's the fact that they are so hard to delete. If nothing else, at least a factory reset should get rid of these images.

Otherwise, what happens if you break your phone, have to send it in for a replacement, and that phone eventually gets sent to another user? Would you be comfortable with the knowledge there is a chance that the new user could see things like your bank information or browsing history?
    06-17-2010 10:09 AM
    /emmc IS the internal storage.

the problem with wiping the internal storage with a factory reset is that if you don't use an sd card, everything else that is on there will get wiped too, which would then lead to a whole different set of people complaining that their data is getting wiped when they want to wipe their phone.

with this going across the tech blogs as if it's the harbinger of the apocalypse, i have a feeling htc will add an option to clear this folder in an update.

as far as replacements go, i'm pretty sure verizon wipes this section along before they send a phone out.
    06-17-2010 09:30 PM
    Verizon refurbs are not from former users, but rather defects from the production line.
    06-17-2010 09:59 PM
    Someone call the fbi.
    06-17-2010 10:02 PM
    OMFGWTFBBQROFLCOPTER STOP BUYING HTC!!!!!!!! Quick someone get me an iPhone STAT!....wait the site is down?.....lemme try it from my Incredible.......
    06-18-2010 01:33 AM
    OMFGWTFBBQROFLCOPTER STOP BUYING HTC!!!!!!!! Quick someone get me an iPhone STAT!....wait the site is down?.....lemme try it from my Incredible.......
    Edit:
    This is from my Incredible With FLASH
    06-18-2010 02:30 AM
    In all seriousness, I refer readers to this post in AC as well as an alternate thread.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...spying-us.html
    06-18-2010 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD