Dinc System Update to 4.08.605.15

degree248

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZW level 1 and 2 support. They were really pushing for me to upgrade or file an insurance claim. Long story short, after a lengthy back and forth about SW updates and known issues they are sending me a "one-time" replacement. No idea what I'm getting but I'll just be glad to not have my wife yelling at me to shut my phone up.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Let us know what you receive in the mail! Did you still have your phone under warranty or extended warranty?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I am out of warranty and they sent me a refurbished OG dinc. Sure enough it had the most recent SW update and still rebooted all night. Im sending it back and switched back to my original Dinc. Plus my original runs quicker than the refurb.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So I finally got tapped for the upgrade. Every time I unlock my phone the screen is there, even after I select upgrade later.

Has anybody been able to install this without trouble?

I realize my DINC is over 2 years old, but there really isn't anything I want to replace it with just yet.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So I finally got tapped for the upgrade. Every time I unlock my phone the screen is there, even after I select upgrade later.

Has anybody been able to install this without trouble?

I realize my DINC is over 2 years old, but there really isn't anything I want to replace it with just yet.

Yep I finally just gave in and installed it, because the nag screen was getting more and more naggy. It's not terrible - my phone isn't bricked or anything - but it's not trouble-free. I'm just noticing general instability - it'll freeze or shut itself down or be slow to respond. It happened once over the weekend, and several times this morning. Actually, it always seems to happen in the early morning.

The only way to unfreeze or restart is a battery pull, which then reboots the phone with a loud "DROID," even if you have Silent Boot installed. So don't do it in the library.

I had the 2am reboots for a couple of nights. If you can leave your phone on silent all night, this isn't that bad. Out of curiosity, one night I cleared the system cache and pulled the SD card, then let it sit all night. No reboots then or since, but who knows if it's because of something I did vs. the update had run its course.

I was trying to avoid the factory reset, but may try that next. Sounds like VZW won't do anything for you unless you've tried that anyway.

Last edited:

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep I finally just gave in and installed it, because the nag screen was getting more and more naggy. It's not terrible - my phone isn't bricked or anything - but it's not trouble-free. I'm just noticing general instability - it'll freeze or shut itself down or be slow to respond. It happened once over the weekend, and several times this morning. Actually, it always seems to happen in the early morning.

The only way to unfreeze or restart is a battery pull, which then reboots the phone with a loud "DROID," even if you have Silent Boot installed. So don't do it in the library.

I had the 2am reboots for a couple of nights. If you can leave your phone on silent all night, this isn't that bad. Out of curiosity, one night I cleared the system cache and pulled the SD card, then let it sit all night. No reboots then or since, but who knows if it's because of something I did vs. the update had run its course.

I was trying to avoid the factory reset, but may try that next. Sounds like VZW won't do anything for you unless you've tried that anyway.

Thanks, I'll give it a try later and see what happens. I do have Silent Boot so hopefully the 2 a.m. reboots won't wake me up.

bayareadave

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
After 3 weeks of the 2am reboots and having tried every possible suggestion on this forum and others, I decided to call Verizon. I spent almost an hour on the phone with them, trying to get some resolution, but no luck. Spent most of the time with the tier 2 support guy who then transferred me to his supervisor, who then transferred me to HTC.

First, it really annoyed me that all the VZ people I talked to acted like they have not heard of this issue, even though it?s well documented on this and other forums. At least the HTC guy admitted that this was a ?widespread? problem.

VZ?s claim is that my phone is out of warranty so there?s nothing they can do about it. I argued that warranty has nothing to do with it since this problem is a direct result of the software update and if they caused (or was partly responsible for) my phone to malfunction, they should be liable. They said they don?t have anything to do with the software update other than approving the release. In fact the tier 2 guy kept saying, ?we don?t even like the software.? LOL.

HTC basically admitted that these reboots are happening as a result of the update and they don?t currently have a solution. He only suggested leaving the wifi on tonight so that the update could completely successfully, but even doubted himself whether that would work. Told me to call back if it happens again so they can troubleshoot more.

I think my best resolution at this point is through small claims court since I don?t want to pay of an upgrade. I?ve gotten HTC to acknowledge that the update causes the problem and that it is widespread and I?ve gotten VZ to say they approve any software updates, so I figure I can show liability on both parties.

I encourage everyone to call VZ and keep them on the phone for as long as you can. Management looks closely at support call metrics like time on the phone so maybe if enough people call we can get management?s attention.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
After a few days of "acting funny" post-update, my phone seems to be back to normal. I would occasionally turn it off in the mornings to charge while I was getting ready, and random shutdowns would happen in the next hour after restarting. But they would stop and the phone would then be stable the whole day.

Since I was going out of town and needed a working phone for at least a few more days, I decided to just not shut it down, ever, since it seemed to be stable, and it's worked fine since last Wednesday. Never had to do a factory reset or anything. I even shut it down the other night just to see what would happen (living dangerously haha) and had no problems when I restarted.

Bizarre. I'm glad I have my phone back and don't have to upgrade yet.... But now that I've posted this, it'll probably blow up again tonight.

I totally agree that the implementation of this update and VZW/HTC's response to the problems has been pretty ridiculous. I sort of want the DInc 4G, but I don't know if I want to risk another HTC product. Good luck with the lawsuit. :)

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
is the incredible getting ICS?

Not stock No. I moved on from my Dinc awhile ago to the HTC Rezound and I'm waiting for ICS (officially) on it. Actually, I'm running an ICS leak RUU on it, and it is great. Just popped on here to see any Dinc news. My daughter uses it from time to time as an Ipod, when the battery on her ipod dies. MIUI is on it to make it easier for her, but I don't like it anymore, so I'm gonna see what else is out there.

familyguy2012

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if I missed this somewhere in the forum , but I just wanted to let you know what worked for me. First I did the 5 steps suggested by "bielawp" above, with no luck . At 2 am 26 more reboots. Next I simply unmounted the SD card, pulled it out and charged overnight. No reboots logged. The following night I left the SD card in and its now been over a week without it rebooting from 2-5:30 in the morning.
I hope this helps at least one person, since Verizon isn't much help.

Dr. Droidberg

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Since this is obviously a software problem for everyone, why not root & flash a stable ROM? I've been running the latest version of CM7 since I bought my DInc used in November & don't see any problems @ all.

I don't see any "low memory" warnings since I no longer have HTC Sense on the device & it is blazing fast even with the processor underclocked to 844mhz to save battery life.

jgtrumble

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Had this problem for some time now. I don't use this device as my phone, since I upgraded to a rezound. However I use it to stream podcasts with my headphones while trying to go to sleep (it's battery life is much better and I can keep my rezound plugged in all night that way). Unfortunately, that's usually during its reboot cycle. It went away for about a month or so, now back for about a week. Tonight I simply went into sd card settings and unmounted it (as opposed to physically taking it out as others have mentioned). Seems to have stopped the reboots. Although not a perfect solution, it will definitely work for me for the time being...

Wil Juarez

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Seems HTC and Verizon like pointing fingers at each other. Very sad since I was a die hard Droid user. Was being the word to focus on. Still not happy with Apple's phone, but at least I know what I'm getting into. Last update i had to do a complete restore to get the update. Looks like I'm gettin the same responses from both again. Any other carriers others can recommend? Verizon has been turning into diarrhea for me lately.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Since this is obviously a software problem for everyone, why not root & flash a stable ROM? I've been running the latest version of CM7 since I bought my DInc used in November & don't see any problems @ all.

I don't see any "low memory" warnings since I no longer have HTC Sense on the device & it is blazing fast even with the processor underclocked to 844mhz to save battery life.

This. Rooting is painful for this phone especially if you've accepted all the OTA updates but CM7 has turned this phone into a new device. It fixes the rebooting issue and also gets rid of the memory limitations. The Dinc was a phone truly ahead of its time.