New Incredible Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that battery life is incredibly poor on my dinc. I love the phone otherwise but it has gotten out of hand - progressively worse as time goes by.

After the first month I couldn't make it past about 3pm without a charge.

I gave in and bought a 2150 battery with the ridiculous hump about 6 weeks ago and now low and behold I can't make it past about 8pm before i get the 14% and then 9% low battery warnings.

I charge at night, phone off, no bumping and only in the car when needed.

Still running factory 2.1, I talk for about 60 min a day, manage the radio connections religiously, do about 100 text and another 100 emails on it daily. I don't have many apps that run, and expect worse battery life when running pandora or slacker - which I do rarely - or google maps with the GPS on.

I keep thinking the battery should condition itself but this has gotten crazy.

Anyone else experiencing the same crappy battery life?

TIA

I would say that your battery life is what I would expect. I also have a 2150 (and Froyo). Whenever your open the phone to send your 200 texts/emails a day, that means the phone is up and running at full capacity, not including the hour of talk time. I wonder what your "up" vs. "awake" time is on a typical day. Constant, or near-constant use means that just as it finally goes to sleep, it's woken up again. I don't know if you used another comparable smartphone that did much with better battery life, but I'm curious about what you are expecting. A BB has a smaller, lower res, more energy efficient screen, and a slower processor so they are not comparable. The only advice I have for better battery life is to root and install SetCPU to turn down your processor speed.

Mine is set to the following:
100-81% 1ghz (full)
< 80% 768mhz
< 60% 652mhz
< 40% 576mhz
Screen Off 460mhz

I can expect about 12 hours of "Awake" time before it drops to 0% and turns off. If you still have 10% left, that means you still have about an hour of use left. That's not so bad. You could also switch out your old battery if your 2150 does die.

Last edited:

drumzalicious

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I just got my DINC on Friday so I'm pretty sure mine is in the battery maturing phase that all these batteries go through at first. However I wish I would have known that Froyo would kill my battery. I would have left it on 2.1. Anyway to downgrade?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Playing the conditioning games helps improve battery performance a bit. Unfortunately HTC phones are notorious for having batteries that just aren't powerful enough for the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I just got my DINC on Friday so I'm pretty sure mine is in the battery maturing phase that all these batteries go through at first. However I wish I would have known that Froyo would kill my battery. I would have left it on 2.1. Anyway to downgrade?
stop running the task killer on froyo and see what happens

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife took her Dinc and I took my Fascinate to Disneyland this past weekend and her phone was dead by 3pm. So she got 6 hours of average to moderate usage out of it. Mine was going strong until midnight.

So...we tested out a few things yesterday with moderate to heavy usage.

Charged up to 100%, shut the phone off, charged back up to green which took 20-30 more minutes(Bump Charging)

Then basically left everything the same except I turned off bluetooth as well as unchecked "enable always-on" under Mobile Network.

She easily got through the entire day without needing to recharge/plug in.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah normally using some sort of power management helps a power hungry powerful device last longer. Especially turning off or limiting services you don't need or aren't using.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah normally using some sort of power management helps a power hungry powerful device last longer. Especially turning off or limiting services you don't need or aren't using.
touche lol...kill the phones functions. less function less battery

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
NO Li-Po does not like a fully discharged state. And all truth be known the phone probably will not let you fully discharge it. I normally don't let mine get below about 14% then I charge it. Li-Po's really like to be charged the more you charge it, to a point, the more it will like it.

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Maybe sounds strange but I rarely text and make phone calls. My main use with this phone is the internet and to check my email. If I don't use the internet vey much my battery lasts 15 to 24 hrs+. Yesterday I was deadheading and spent 3hrs on the net straight starting with 100% charge and had 35% battery left after 3hrs. I got two spare batteries off ebay really cheap to keep me going but I just ordered two 3500mah batteries with a charger and back cover for $20.99 because I'm tired of changing batteries two or three times a day. I used to have a Blackberry Storm 2 and it's battery lasted a lot longer than the Dinc's and I think that one of the reason's for the Dincs short battery life is the 1 GHz CPU vs the Storm 2's 528 MHz CPU.
Just my opinion.

vinva

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So, after about 2 hours unplugged this morning, battery is down to 65% with light email and internet usage. When I go into spare parts and check partial wake usage, I see that some process called "UID 10004" is at the top and responsible for about 95% of the usage. Google has been no help, so I turn to you all. Any idea what this process is and how I kill it?

micar511

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes the bump helps every time. And I always bump...not just once then never again. If I charge I bump. I change my brightness lower only when I'm low and know won't be able to charge soon enough. I set my phone to unlocked w the app unlock...and set screen to sleep at 30seconds. I always hit the power button to put screen to sleep whenever done doing what I'm doing...even if set to stay awake when charging. I use minimal widgets that require updating on the home screen like news weather coupons etc. Instead I just ad the app icon to pull up...like where which I only use for traffic info...I try not to use multiple weather apps...but like the bug bc I can tell enough from the top status bar. I don't use a task killer other than the HTC running services. I either ring or vibrate but never both and quiet ring when moved...also set led notification off to all ... so doesn't flash for anything. Never turn WiFi off or 3g but Bluetooth always until needed. I agree that turning these on and off frequently is like turning the car off to save gas when leaving it running safes more bc starting the ignition takes a lot of gas...also like air conditioning....instead of turning it on or higher lower to save money, leaving it at 60 or whatever costs less. Like driving on the highway...highway miles...get a lot more. I have an extra standard 1300mah backup jumped fully charged usually always on me...and rarely now even use car charger. I too don't call and text often...but use navigation and maps a lot...and that's where car charger comes in handy. When using latitude in the city , the extra battery is essential.

Charging how often you want your accounts, and apps to update and sync is subjective...can turn off auto sync. Have found that verIzon backup is useless. And don't need extras like FB syncing etc.

Have multiple Google accts...turn off notification in status bar...especially if using gmail icon notification. Manually refresh when needed...etc etc...

My one question I have is about setting animations...I don't know what that means and how it applies here...but maybe turn off all animation or show some could help...

Also my ringtone notification sounds are peaceful and nothing to crazy...nothing long and loud...a lil ding is fine. Or you could turn that off in exchange for led flash notification ...but only one needed if st all. I like usi ong the features of my phone tho...so if I have the backup battery and car charger and am fully charged...ill have a disco party on this thing loud and lit up never sleep live wallpaper and let it ride....

Thanks everyone...lemme know your thoughts if I am wrong or shouldn't do something or should be doing something or if I just suck at life

Btw the apple store wasn't fond of me when I challenged the employees and raced the iPhone...of course they whipped out the top of the line one...

And got smoked....by my boy...he goes wow that's incredible....I said...funny...that's what his name is...

Go figure....ironic huh. So where are all these geniuses you speak of...at a bar...no wonder...
I get it now....

And we left...as ninjas

M

vinva

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So, after about 2 hours unplugged this morning, battery is down to 65% with light email and internet usage. When I go into spare parts and check partial wake usage, I see that some process called "UID 10004" is at the top and responsible for about 95% of the usage. Google has been no help, so I turn to you all. Any idea what this process is and how I kill it?

Any help here would be appreciated. Anyone seen this before?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Any help here would be appreciated. Anyone seen this before?

No idea. I would turn off the phone and take out the battery for good measure. Then turn it back on and see if it comes back. Maybe it's just a generic Android system process that is stuck, like a svchost.exe on windows. Just a guess.

jimaxton

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Cory, excellent sticky on the battery issue with the HTC Incredible. I am a long distance cyclist - recumbent and I use RunKeeper to track my rides. This app sucks the battery very quickly so I take a spare, as I can be out for 8 to 10 hours. Here's my question, I have a couple of great portable solar panels that I use charging my Ipod and my previous cell phones. The output is 290m Amps /@ 7.6V when in single mode (i hooked these up in series to get 18V / 290 mAmps) and I try to use the Verizon Car charger. The system just freaks out with just one panel at 7.6v / 290mAmps. It is apparent that the 500 mAmp is not the threshold but much lower. So now I am going to a 3rd battery.

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let everyone know that I disabled my roaming and my battery has lasted most of the day so far. I am at 73% and it is 3pm. I did the bump charge a couple days ago which didn't seem to help much. I charged it overnight last night and ade some phone calls, played a game, mutiple texts and emails. A friend with an EVO heard disabling the roaming helps. I live in a metropolitan area so I don't really roam anyway until I go out of town. It makes sense because if you get a low signal (1 bar or so) the phone is looking for a stronger signal somewhere.

Try it out and let me know what you think!!

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes the bump helps every time. And I always bump...not just once then never again. If I charge I bump. I change my brightness lower only when I'm low and know won't be able to charge soon enough. I set my phone to unlocked w the app unlock...and set screen to sleep at 30seconds. I always hit the power button to put screen to sleep whenever done doing what I'm doing...even if set to stay awake when charging. I use minimal widgets that require updating on the home screen like news weather coupons etc. Instead I just ad the app icon to pull up...like where which I only use for traffic info...I try not to use multiple weather apps...but like the bug bc I can tell enough from the top status bar. I don't use a task killer other than the HTC running services. I either ring or vibrate but never both and quiet ring when moved...also set led notification off to all ... so doesn't flash for anything. Never turn WiFi off or 3g but Bluetooth always until needed. I agree that turning these on and off frequently is like turning the car off to save gas when leaving it running safes more bc starting the ignition takes a lot of gas...also like air conditioning....instead of turning it on or higher lower to save money, leaving it at 60 or whatever costs less. Like driving on the highway...highway miles...get a lot more. I have an extra standard 1300mah backup jumped fully charged usually always on me...and rarely now even use car charger. I too don't call and text often...but use navigation and maps a lot...and that's where car charger comes in handy. When using latitude in the city , the extra battery is essential.

Charging how often you want your accounts, and apps to update and sync is subjective...can turn off auto sync. Have found that verIzon backup is useless. And don't need extras like FB syncing etc.

Have multiple Google accts...turn off notification in status bar...especially if using gmail icon notification. Manually refresh when needed...etc etc...

My one question I have is about setting animations...I don't know what that means and how it applies here...but maybe turn off all animation or show some could help...

Also my ringtone notification sounds are peaceful and nothing to crazy...nothing long and loud...a lil ding is fine. Or you could turn that off in exchange for led flash notification ...but only one needed if st all. I like usi ong the features of my phone tho...so if I have the backup battery and car charger and am fully charged...ill have a disco party on this thing loud and lit up never sleep live wallpaper and let it ride....

Thanks everyone...lemme know your thoughts if I am wrong or shouldn't do something or should be doing something or if I just suck at life

Btw the apple store wasn't fond of me when I challenged the employees and raced the iPhone...of course they whipped out the top of the line one...

And got smoked....by my boy...he goes wow that's incredible....I said...funny...that's what his name is...

Go figure....ironic huh. So where are all these geniuses you speak of...at a bar...no wonder...
I get it now....

And we left...as ninjas

M

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Was there a point here? I think I missed it.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had my Dinc since June. It is very dissappointing to have to "bump" charge the phone, and that it only has 1300mah battery. I bump charge every morning, have my settings set for me and I do make it a full day most of the time. I am just bothered that we HAVE to do this for decent battery life.

For starters, this has been a known issue (bump charging and charging circuitry) since June. A fix should have been out by now so HTC gets a fail in my opinion on this.

Second, a phone this powerful should have come with a stock 1750mah. If Seidio can do it without increasing the battery size, Then HTC should have from the start.

It is an Incredible phone, and many out there do not read this site, have no idea about bump charging, and return the phone. I've known several. I HATE that I have to remember every morning to bump charge the thing. Very inconvienient. My external charger is on the way, but the point is, these are problems that other Android phones don't have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX