Searching Contacts

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The best way is the search button like post above and you can also open the phone app and enter the name that way too.

racefit

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So I typed the letter F and here are the first four contacts it listed

All Fire
Bay Fuel
CMJ Fireplace Flue
Conway Freight

Not until the 8th contact does it start to list contacts that actually start with the letter F! This is the reverse of how it should work. WTF.

This single issue alone will cause me to go back to BB.....shame.

racefit

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I uploaded all my contacts from my old BB to Google before getting the Inc. Then I just downloaded them to the phone when I got it.

Could there be an issue with Google that is causing it not to search by the first letter in the contact?

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not searching by the first letter of the first name or word. It's searching by all letters that start with F. If you wanted Conway Freight you could either type "Co" or "Fr" and it will narrow it down for you.

I can understand your frustration, but there are times when I can't remember the first name of someone I just spoke to so I'll just start typing what I remember and it works. I know, I should remember the people I talk with on my phone (especially the ones I saved) but I just have way too many contacts.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

All Fire
Bay Fuel
CMJ Fireplace Flue
Conway Freight

Not until the 8th contact does it start to list contacts that actually start with the letter F! This is the reverse of how it should work. WTF.

Your first 4 do start with and F, it might not be the first word.

At first this would bug me but after awhile you will get use to your Droid. There a few things BB do much better then Android but there are much more things an Android can do better then a BB.

Last edited:

racefit

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you're all saying.

I much prefer how the BB searches with the first actual letter. Then at the bottom of the list it starts to list "other" matches where the letter you wanted might be elsewhere in the name other than the actual first letter.

I still don't like it...:(

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site

All Fire
Bay Fuel
CMJ Fireplace Flue
Conway Freight

If you type in more letters it'll narrow it down more. I personally love this feature.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
click the search button (magnifying glass, lower right)

also another way to do this. on my home screen, instead of the people app, i put the search people icon on there. basically it is a shortcut to the suggestion up above. most of the time when i go to people i need to search for someone, so this reduces it by a step.
in case you want to add it, hit the PLUS icon, Program, Search People.

I too came from a BB (tour), but am getting used to this method.