Bluetooth GPS with Android Inc?

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and was planning to leverage Google Maps with GPS location services. My concern is battery life of my Inc if the GPS is turned on and used throughout the day. I already have a Freedom GPS 2000 bluetooth device that I used on both Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices and it's battery life has always been pretty strong. So my thinking is that I could use that instead of the onboard GPS radio in the Inc.

Now the problem. I paired it to the Inc no problem. But I have no idea where to go from there. I am not aware of any setting like on some other mobile platforms that allows the selection of which GPS receiver to use.

Is it possible to use a GPS radio other than the one built into the Inc? Or any other Android device for that matter?

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The GPS from the Inc is already shut off. It's paired with the bluetooth, but won't connect to it. That's why I was looking for some way to tell it to use the bluetooth GPS instead of the build-in GPS. I was assuming once I did that it would know to connect to the bluetooth device and use it.

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea about this, but just wondering if the gps radio would really use that much more battery than the bluetooth radio would transmitting all that data should you figure out how to connect your gps receiver.

Also none of my business, but why can't you just roll with the phone plugged in while driving.

Sorry I have no input on actually accomplishing your goal. :)

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the ideas...here's my thoughts though. I tend to think that GPS uses more battery power than bluetooth. That's been my experience with with any device in the past.

As far as the car thing...I won't be in car otherwise I'd just do that. Of course there are other things like extra batteries, etc...I get that. But I have this external GPS receiver right now and it's worked great in the past so it makes sense to try to get this working.

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the ideas...here's my thoughts though. I tend to think that GPS uses more battery power than bluetooth. That's been my experience with with any device in the past.

As far as the car thing...I won't be in car otherwise I'd just do that. Of course there are other things like extra batteries, etc...I get that. But I have this external GPS receiver right now and it's worked great in the past so it makes sense to try to get this working.

I understand, wish I could help ya more.

And sorry about the plug it in comment, I was just curious why you couldn't do that, I figured you had a good reason.
I know its frustrating when you ask something specific and people (like me) start rattling off the most obvious things you already know. :)
Good Luck