Do you use a Task Killer app?

What camp do you reside in in regards to task killer apps?

• Total voters

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
makya53 your right the Incredible will do a much better job then any of us could and I have much better things to worry about.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So, help out a newbie. When I go into Task killer, there are always a ton of tasks open. how do i close them without it?

(I set mine to close task killer too so it doesnt run)

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So, help out a newbie. When I go into Task killer, there are always a ton of tasks open. how do i close them without it?

(I set mine to close task killer too so it doesnt run)

I use Task Killer ,no slow down at all. You just asked The Million Dollar Question.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
From what I've read about ATK it will show application that are running that are not really running not sure why this happens. You can try system panel free version from the market and it will give you a true list of whats running (what I have been told) and compare it to the list you have on ATK and see if there the same. I'm assuming that ATK will have a longer list if it does show applications as running which aren't.

The question on how do you close programs without ATK is to either use system panel which will end apps, or you can let your OS end tasks as needed. When your phone needs more memory it will close programs which are not needed. I only use system panel to kill a few applications like Navioics which is a chart plotter application that once started will not stop and it uses GPS and will kill my battery.

If you use ATK and have no problems I guess keep using it or try uninstalling it for a few days and see if there is a difference. I have seen a few people have problems with their phone because of using a task killer but have never seen one that had problems because they didn't.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
Settings>applications>menu button>filter>apps running.

From there you can close apps if they're running. I personally don't use a task killer it manager, it was too big and you end up closing apps and services that shouldn't be closed. Kept causing sense to crash. Once I removed it no more problems.

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
No ATK For Me

With concerns about battery life, I did think of using an ATK. After reading info from the Android sites, with most reviewers and experts advising against it, I decided not to use one. I wouldn't know which tasks to leave open to avoid messing up my phone, anyway. So, no regrets.

stratman103

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Task killers are for people who do not understand how Android works. I do not use them. In fact, they can be detrimental to the performance of your phone.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are getting between 4-8 hours on the stock battery you are where the phone is, and all it offers. If you want better battery life the only other way around it is to buy a bigger battery. A lot of people including myself are happy with the 1750, a bunch are really happy with the 2150, and some are already planning for the 3500.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Settings>applications>menu button>filter>apps running.

From there you can close apps if they're running. I personally don't use a task killer it manager, it was too big and you end up closing apps and services that shouldn't be closed. Kept causing sense to crash. Once I removed it no more problems.

I have been looking for that info.Wasn't sure how to be positive app was actually killed til reading that.:)

xwera43

Dec 20, 2009
www.myspace.com
No here either. I had issues like patches (good to see you again) with Sense quitting. Made no senders to use it in the first place but the good old VZW CSR suggested running one when I had my MotoDroid (why did I bother listening to them... it's Linux - hand on forehead). =)

X

Sent from my Incredible via Tapatalk.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I use System Panel (free from the Market). I don't actively manage any apps, but this app allows me to see what's going on and kill apps if I choose to. I think the OS does a pretty good job of this, so it's only the phone nerd in me that wants to see and sometimes play with this info.

amojeba

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see this thread...I had the same questions about atk. I won't be getting it now.
PS - patches its good to see you and a lot of other familiar faces here. I finally made the switch over from storm 1 to incredible droid.

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I do not use a Task Killer. When I get a new program, I run it for a bit. Close it out. Then head to the Settings/App info and see if I have to Force Stop it or not. If I do, then I know I have to head back there to Force Stop it each time I am done using the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton