View Poll Results: Do you "bump charge" daily?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 27.54%
  • Yes, but not every day

30 43.48%
  • No

20 28.99%
    I am curious how many people actually perform the bump charge on a daily basis. I have done it several times and noticed a huge improvement in the early battery loss.

So, the question is, Do you bump charge daily and if so, just how do you do it?
    06-23-2010 06:26 AM
    I bump charge just about every morning for a half hour while I'm getting ready. When I don't I notice a 10% drop early. I hope htc fixes this.sometime soon.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    06-23-2010 06:46 AM
    There should be a 'I have no idea what you're talking about' option on the poll :P
    06-23-2010 06:55 AM
    Most mornings I am able to do a bump (phone powered off) while I'm in the shower. But I don't always remember or have time.

Lately I've been turning the phone off at night when charging it. I've noticed a significant difference. Prior to this I would have 90-91% after checking/clearing my emails first thing. This morning I still had 97% after checking/clearing my emails. I also notice I'm typically around 35-40% at the end of the workday, when previously I was closer to 20%.

e: I'm still at 88%, more than 3 hours after unplugging.
    06-23-2010 07:58 AM
    I voted no because I have no idea what it is
    06-23-2010 08:11 AM
    Bump charging is when, after charging with the phone on until the green "charged" light comes on, you turn the phone off and continue charging. For a lot of people, it adds a fairly significant amount of charge to the phone.

I bump charge when I know I'll need a little extra energy for the day (when I'll be away from a charger for a while).
    06-23-2010 08:21 AM
    I have a wall charger and spare batteries so I don't do it, but when I charge a battery with my wall charger then put it in my phone then plug the charger in that came with the phone it shows fully charged and I unplug it and replug it, it still shows fully charged so to me there is a charging defect with the phone!
    06-23-2010 08:27 AM
    I bump charge just about every morning for a half hour while I'm getting ready. When I don't I notice a 10% drop early. I hope htc fixes this.sometime soon.

Same here take it off charge at 6 am
    make coffee, put Inc. in desk clock mode and charge downstairs till 7:30 or so, I leave the house at %100 charged.
    06-23-2010 08:50 AM
    I try to bump charge in the mornings while getting ready for work. It does seem to give me a little extra time before I have to recharge it at work. When I am not at work I have no issues with battery life, but when I am in the office I use my phone non-stop so about 1:00 I am usually down to about 25%.

Aaron
    06-23-2010 08:56 AM
    Is it agreed upon that if you charge your phone while its turned off, the 'bump' charge isn't necessary?
    06-23-2010 09:04 AM
    I try to bump charge every day if I can.
    It really does make a HUGE difference. HTC really do something to rectify this, though.
    It's ridiculous that the battery life can fall nearly 10% in a few minutes!
    06-23-2010 09:44 AM
    I have never bumped charge or had my battery drop 10% in a matter of minutes I guess I'm the lucky ones :0
    06-23-2010 09:52 AM
    There should be a 'I have no idea what you're talking about' option on the poll :P
    Sorry, I thought most people had heard of this...

Essentially, here is what most people do:
    1. Plug your phone in overnight while it is on (light should be green in the AM)
    2. Take phone of charger and turn it off.
    3. Plug phone back in while it is off (the light will then be orange indicating a charge...oddly enough it will charge for up to an hour)
    4. Unplug phone and turn it on. You should notice that the battery will hold its charge for much longer (i.e., No rapid drops to 90-92% after a few minutes of light use)
    5. Some people will repeat this process one more time.

The concept here is that the phone (either the OS or the phone itself) is not allowing the battery to fully charge while it is on. The "bump" is to top off the battery while the phone is off. Believe it or not, this song and dance does make a significant difference. Hopefully, this is an OS flaw that will be fixed with the next release...

Hope that help! Thanks for everyone's replies...

I haven't heard though, are people using the protocol I wrote above or are you doing more, etc?
    belogical and gmz73#AC like this.
    06-23-2010 11:50 AM
    I bump charge every morning. I wake up at 7am and unplug my phone from the charger and turn it off and then plug it back in. I then take my shower, get ready for work and then make my protein breakfast drink (for the road), grab my phone (usually hasn't gone green yet since it takes me about 30mins to complete my morning routine) and still keeping it off plug it in to the car charger for my 20 minute commute. By the time I'm at work the green light is on (I'm sure it doesn't take my entire commute but i haven't monitored it throughout my commute to see when it goes green) and I turn the phone one and I'm good for the day.
    06-23-2010 12:01 PM
    I have never bumped charge or had my battery drop 10% in a matter of minutes I guess I'm the lucky ones :0
    I think it all depends on how low your battery is when you plug it into the charger at night and how many hours until you wake up and what frequency you have your emails checking and weather updating.

For example: if you are at 20% battery when you plug it in the charger and it takes 2 hours to charge to 100% (just throwing numbers out for this example) and you go to bed at Midnight and wake up at 6am, then your phone has been sitting idle on the charger not charging for 4 hours and during that 4 hours if you have your phone to check your email, update weather, facebook..... frequently then when you wake up at 6am and unplug your phone it will drop from 100% to maybe 95% pretty quickly (again just throwing numbers out for this example).

Using the same example but say the battery was only down to 40% when you plugged it in before bed and when you woke up at 6am, it only took 1 hour to charge the phone to 100% then the phone would have been sitting idle checking and updating all the stuff for 5 hours and when you unplugged the phone in the morning it would drop from 100% to like 90% pretty quickly (again just throwing out numbers for this example).

So I think it is all relative to how your phone is set up, how low your battery is when you plug it in before bed and how long you sleep at night. If you get a full 8 hours of sleep each night then your battery is sitting idle much longer after it reaches 100% charged.
    06-23-2010 12:11 PM
    I have had no need for bump charging since getting the Seidio 1750 battery. My DInc now lasts throughout the day and sometimes even 1.5-2 days with moderate use. But I also keep the original battery charged just in case
    06-23-2010 02:53 PM
    I'm in a VZW store, so I can charge my phone whenever I feel it needs it. I'm actually bump-charging it right now just to see if it makes a difference. I usually charge it in desk clock mode until I see 100%, then unplug it and power down. I plug it in again, and once the light goes green again I unplug it and leave it off until I get up in the morning. I only do this maybe every other day.

I'm ordering a Seidio 1750mAh this week, see if that helps..
    06-23-2010 02:59 PM
    Is it agreed upon that if you charge your phone while its turned off, the 'bump' charge isn't necessary?
    While that makes sense, logically; I wouldn't count on that. On the weekends I have more morning time, so after charging w/power off overnight, I turn the phone on and back off, then plug it back in and still it takes 5-10 minutes to go green again.
    06-23-2010 03:50 PM
    I don't bump charge - too much work, and I just don't want to do it. LOL

But, I have noticed that if I leave my phone on the charger after it's reached 100% for a few hours after that point, when I take it off the charger, it will drop quickly.

If I take it off the charger as soon as it reaches 100%, it holds the charge much longer.
    06-23-2010 04:54 PM
    With my stock battery I bump charged three times, then realized I just needed to charge with the phone off. Works great and it's what I have continued to do over the last month and a half or more with my Seidio 1750 and I don't have the 10% loss or anything unusual happening with my battery.
    06-23-2010 06:09 PM
    I have had no need for bump charging since getting the Seidio 1750 battery. My DInc now lasts throughout the day and sometimes even 1.5-2 days with moderate use. But I also keep the original battery charged just in case
    Same here, I would bump the original battery, but with the 1750 there is no need.

06-23-2010 08:36 PM
    I don't bump charge - too much work, and I just don't want to do it. LOL

But, I have noticed that if I leave my phone on the charger after it's reached 100% for a few hours after that point, when I take it off the charger, it will drop quickly.

If I take it off the charger as soon as it reaches 100%, it holds the charge much longer.
    I noticed that same thing today. Normally, when I would leave to go to work, I would see a roughly 3% drop by the time i got to my car but today when I had it hooked up to my PC, i unplugged it shortly after it got to 100% and it stayed there for significantly longer than it had before. I am looking into getting the 1750 batter because I keep forgetting to bring my charger to work.
    06-23-2010 08:59 PM
    I try to do it frequently, but I don't always remember. Most of the time I partially bump charge... i.e., I power off, plug back in, but unplug it before the light gets green again. Still helps. That's what I did today, and after a reasonably heavy day I'm at 25%.
    06-23-2010 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD