I need help updating my dinc manually... I'm new

johnhouk34135

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My unrooted phone is having an issue where it frequently tells me there's an ota update. But, when I try to install the verified file, nothing happens. I'm currently at Android version 2.2 and if I use the "System updates" link it tells me its up to date.

Now, I assume I need to just do this manually. I am trying to follow the instructions on pville's site It says to first backup. I have synced all of my contacts to gmail, and made a backup of my apps using "File Expert". I'm not sure if this is all I need to do or not. I looked into Titanium, but it says the phone needs to be rooted, so I didn't install it. I like the idea of a nandroid backup but It seems I need to "unlock the bootloader" (whatever that means) And, I guess doing the unlock erases the phone, so that defeats my purpose. This is where I decided to stop, register @ androidcentral, and seek council. :)

lefear

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
You're still running Android 2.2 Froyo!?

There was a 4.06.605.2 Gingerbread 2.3 OTA pushed back in August-September of last year.
Have you been ignoring the OTA sense then or did it go away and come back just recently?

Because there's a new 4.08.605.15 OTA being push; I'm not sure, but maybe if you don't have the Gingerbread 4.06.605.2 installed it may not work.
Though I don't know if you want the new update anyways. Read this thread an see what I mean
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve.../182357-dinc-system-update-4-08-605-15-a.html

It would be helpful if you listed more info listed in the "About Phone" section on your phone.

As for unlocking the bootloader (S-off for HTC phones), it will format you phone.
However, if you are interested in unlocking your bootloader and rooting your phone, and you are truly running Froyo 2.2, then you could easily do it using the unrevoked method. Otherwise, you would have to use a workaround method like I did (I shouldn't of updated to Gingerbread) or use the new HTCdev unlock tool.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My unrooted phone is having an issue where it frequently tells me there's an ota update. But, when I try to install the verified file, nothing happens. I'm currently at Android version 2.2 and if I use the "System updates" link it tells me its up to date.

Now, I assume I need to just do this manually. I am trying to follow the instructions on pville's site It says to first backup. I have synced all of my contacts to gmail, and made a backup of my apps using "File Expert". I'm not sure if this is all I need to do or not. I looked into Titanium, but it says the phone needs to be rooted, so I didn't install it. I like the idea of a nandroid backup but It seems I need to "unlock the bootloader" (whatever that means) And, I guess doing the unlock erases the phone, so that defeats my purpose. This is where I decided to stop, register @ androidcentral, and seek council. :)

One thing you can do to get the update pushed to your phone is to manually change the date of your phone to a month ahead, that way, it tricks the phone into sending the OTA to your phone.

johnhouk34135

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Alright! After over 150 views someone has responded. Its too bad neither of them read the first two sentences.
Oh well. At least Lefear pointed me to a thread with useful info. Apparently I need to just backup. And do a factory reset on my phone.

Jowlah - cool avatar. The original Bionic Commando was awesome!

Since no one commented on the method I used to back up my apps, I'm just going to go with it and see what happens within the next few days. I'll report back the results.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with File Expert as a backup tool, but the only thing you're really going to lose is game progress, which in the great scheme of things is pretty minor. As long as you have a solid list of apps and your contacts and calendar syncing with Google you should be good to go.

If you do the update using the files on my site those too will reset your phone. If you are on 2.2 I would go ahead and do a straight reset. Once you go through the setup you should be prompted to install the Gingerbread update. Wait before re-installing your apps for the updates to push. You should be good to go.

If I missed something in your original question, please let me know.

johnhouk34135

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, so the updates are incremental. I was wandering about that.
I'm a little leary of the new version because my phone has an issue. I replaced the screen and now the very top edge doesn't work. (I have to press the menu button, then "notifications" to get to my notification bar.) But if things don't work out, I can just start over and stop at a version that still works for me I think. I really just want to meet the requirements of my cable company's tv app.
...I figure the longer this incredible holds me over, the kewler my replacement phone will inevitably be. :)

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to read this thread Stig