Droid Incredible for Enterprise

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been a long time BlackBerry user and I just found out my company is supporting the Droid Incredible on our corporate network. In fact, this is the only Android powered phone supported by my company.

Before I found out about this, I upgraded to the Bold 9650, but I am still within my 30 days so I can return it for the Incredible.

Like some BlackBerry users, I am hesitant to make a switch from something that I am very accustomed to using. I am also more hesitant because of how well the BlackBerry integrates with Exchange.

So after that long-winded introduction, I wanted to get the perspective of those that have switched from BlackBerry on a BES to the Droid Incredible on a corporate network. What do you see as the pros/cons. I know that there is a thread on going from BlackBerry to the Droid Incredible, but it's 49 pages long and I am looking specifically for the point of view of corporate users.

Thanks for the help!

xblitz44x#CB

Jun 9, 2010
www.twitter.com
I can't speak for the Droid Incredible, but I work for a large healthcare system and my boss managed to break the BB mold and talk the IT dept into letting him use a Moto Droid.

Their main concern was that the device doesn't natively support remote wipe. So he's using TouchDown as his email client. Aside from that, he's loving it and has had no complaints.

ezun

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Bunjy - when does your 30 days end?
I'm currently a BB9700 on BES user and should receive my Droid Inc next week (estimated shipping is 6/28). Happy to tell you how the integration/switch goes but not sure it's going to help if you have to decide in the next few days.

ezun

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah - and I found this in the BB to Android thread - Post #453 page 46:

Originally Posted by wyliec2
Thanks for the info - I should clarify - my work email is coming from a large Exchange Server incorporating BES....

You won't need the BES. Droids do Microsoft Exchange rather well. I understand in Froyo it will do even better.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Bunjy - when does your 30 days end?
I'm currently a BB9700 on BES user and should receive my Droid Inc next week (estimated shipping is 6/28). Happy to tell you how the integration/switch goes but not sure it's going to help if you have to decide in the next few days.

I ordered my phone on June 8th, so If you get your phone next week, that would work. I appreciate the help!

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for the Droid Incredible, but I work for a large healthcare system and my boss managed to break the BB mold and talk the IT dept into letting him use a Moto Droid.

Their main concern was that the device doesn't natively support remote wipe. So he's using TouchDown as his email client. Aside from that, he's loving it and has had no complaints.

It's interesting that you mention this. My IT department said that this is the reason why the Droid Incredible is supported on our network and not the Moto Droid -- it supports remote wipe.

jskolm85

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The main thing you want to know is what version of Exchange is your company running. 2003 has issues with the Incredible. It works great, there are just a few things (forwarding emails, HTML emails) that don't work on it.

Otherwise, I moved from my Storm 9530 to the Incredible and I am loving it. There is a transition period that you will need to get used to, but otherwise it's great. The native Sense mail client does not support Tasks or Notes though. Only contacts, emails, and calendars.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The main thing you want to know is what version of Exchange is your company running. 2003 has issues with the Incredible. It works great, there are just a few things (forwarding emails, HTML emails) that don't work on it.

Otherwise, I moved from my Storm 9530 to the Incredible and I am loving it. There is a transition period that you will need to get used to, but otherwise it's great. The native Sense mail client does not support Tasks or Notes though. Only contacts, emails, and calendars.

I have my Inc. hooked up to an Exchange 2003 server and have not experienced any of the problems you mentioned above regarding HTML emails or Forwarding emails. Everything works as it should.

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

what exactly do you have to do to get on microsoft exchange. I also have a storm 9530 on my company's enterprise server and want to get off and be on exchange.
what info do you need to do this?
thanks in advance
I should add I'll be getting my droid incredible hopefully by next week.
do I need anything more than my email address and password to get on microsoft exchange?

Last edited:

jskolm85

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have my Inc. hooked up to an Exchange 2003 server and have not experienced any of the problems you mentioned above regarding HTML emails or Forwarding emails. Everything works as it should.

You are connected to an Exchange 2003 server using the default Mail client on the device? Or are you using the Touchdown app? If you are using the default client how do you have HTML emails enabled?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You are connected to an Exchange 2003 server using the default Mail client on the device? Or are you using the Touchdown app? If you are using the default client how do you have HTML emails enabled?

Actually, I just went back an looked at a few HTML formatted emails. It's weird, some come in plain format with HTTP links and yet a few come in with all images and the correct format as if I was looking at it in Outlook. So I guess it's either hit or miss or it all depends on how it's formatted.

As for the message forwarding, I do it all the time and with attachments and that's works 100%.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the native email app, not touchdown, and it has it's share of issues, but none that out way the 100's of positives you get with the HTC Droid Incredible. Is it blackberry email, no, is it usable enough? sure!

My main issues are the email alerts that I am used to on blackberry, there are no options on android. You can't set an alert based on a specific user, only ringtones on calls, not emails. My out of office assistant doesn't work at all, just says it can't contact the server, but all else communicates.

I'm pretty excited about 2.2, aka froyo, as it is supposed to have a bunch of enterprise updates with it. I'm on exchange 2003 and have never had the push email work as advertised. It's a bug noted by many, just google it. What I did was make my email check every 15 minutes so I didn't miss anything.

The last main issue I had was the filters you could set to not forward to your blackberry. I haven't found a valid solution for this either. Being in IT, I have hundreds of emails going to my account daily. With blackberry, I could just filter those out from being pushed. That isn't an option with android.

But, I'd give up all those features and more to stay on Android. This phone really is incredible. Real apps, real app market, real developers, fast OS, google navigation, flash support, wifi hot spot, the list goes on and on.

You really have zero reason to stay with blackberry, and this is coming from a 4 year addicted crackberry user. I hardly even check crackberry.com anymore, really no need. Honestly, it's sad seeing the posts on it compared to the posts on here. The apps really are pathetic on blackberry. They look so dated.

Send your blackberry back today!

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the native email app, not touchdown, and it has it's share of issues, but none that out way the 100's of positives you get with the HTC Droid Incredible. Is it blackberry email, no, is it usable enough? sure!

My main issues are the email alerts that I am used to on blackberry, there are no options on android. You can't set an alert based on a specific user, only ringtones on calls, not emails. My out of office assistant doesn't work at all, just says it can't contact the server, but all else communicates.

I'm pretty excited about 2.2, aka froyo, as it is supposed to have a bunch of enterprise updates with it. I'm on exchange 2003 and have never had the push email work as advertised. It's a bug noted by many, just google it. What I did was make my email check every 15 minutes so I didn't miss anything.

The last main issue I had was the filters you could set to not forward to your blackberry. I haven't found a valid solution for this either. Being in IT, I have hundreds of emails going to my account daily. With blackberry, I could just filter those out from being pushed. That isn't an option with android.

But, I'd give up all those features and more to stay on Android. This phone really is incredible. Real apps, real app market, real developers, fast OS, google navigation, flash support, wifi hot spot, the list goes on and on.

You really have zero reason to stay with blackberry, and this is coming from a 4 year addicted crackberry user. I hardly even check crackberry.com anymore, really no need. Honestly, it's sad seeing the posts on it compared to the posts on here. The apps really are pathetic on blackberry. They look so dated.

Send your blackberry back today!

Really? The Push is not working for you? I am using the HTC mail client for my Exchange 2003 and have it set to "as messages come in" and I get all my emails. Might want to check with your IT department to see if they have the mobile section in Exchange setup properly.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Really? The Push is not working for you? I am using the HTC mail client for my Exchange 2003 and have it set to "as messages come in" and I get all my emails. Might want to check with your IT department to see if they have the mobile section in Exchange setup properly.

I am the IT department :)

Yeah, it's all setup correctly and I've done a TON of research on this subject. The push aspect is buggy right now, but checking every 15 minutes does the trick.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The only other thing is, of course, the battery life. Honestly, how bad is it? Compare it to your BlackBerry (or old blackberry).

jskolm85

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the Incredible is the same on battery drain as my Storm was. I would only last a day on my storm and I only last about a day in my Inc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz