GPS in the Sky

Sam_H

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, you are able to use your GPS without a 3g connection. For example in a plane 40,000 feet in the air a 3g connection is not possible but a gps connection is. The only problem is that Google maps is not stored on the phone but stored on their server which means you need a 3g connection to load the content.

I'm wondering if there is a simple app where the map would be stored on the phone. It would be nice to see where you are in the sky when flying from place to place. I would appreciate if someone knew an app that would make this possible.

Thanks,
Sam

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, those rules about turning off antennas are probably just to annoy us... What could possibly happen at 40,000 feet?

The App is called Channel 13 on a JetBlue flight...

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking for the same thing. Basically a way to use GPS in an offline mode. After reading your post I went into the marketplace and searched for offline gps. Found an app called Locus. You can select and area and a zoom setting and download the map into your sd card. You can then use that map in an offline mode and turn on gps. It can then follow you just like if you were online. Hope this is what you where looking for.

Sam_H

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking for the same thing. Basically a way to use GPS in an offline mode. After reading your post I went into the marketplace and searched for offline gps. Found an app called Locus. You can select and area and a zoom setting and download the map into your sd card. You can then use that map in an offline mode and turn on gps. It can then follow you just like if you were online. Hope this is what you where looking for.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.

Sam_H

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
does lotus work with google maps or is it a completely separate app for gps/mapping?

It gives you the option to pick what kind of map you want. For example you can pick Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft (classic, satellite, terrain views). You just select an area and save to offline mode. Then open offline mode and load the section that you saved.

Let me list all of the maps to choose from.

Blank Map - Zooms 20
OSM (Classic) - Zooms 18
OSM (CloudMade) - Zooms 18
OSM (Cyclo) - Zooms 18
OSM (Public Transport) - Zooms 18
Google (Classic) - Zooms 19
Google (Satellite) - Zooms 20
Google (Terrain) - Zooms 15
Shocart (Cykloserver) - Zooms 8
Yahoo (Classic) - Zooms 17
Yahoo (Satellite) - Zooms 17
Microsoft (Aerial) - Zooms 16
Microsoft (Road) - Zooms 16
Microsoft (Hybrid) - Zooms 16

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 options that I've been looking at to use while in Italy since data on my Dinc won't work over there without WiFi. They are both in the Market. OruxMaps and MapDroyd. They both allow maps of different types to be downloaded and used offline. One feature I wish I saw in them but neither has is the ability to search for a street within the map...but they both look reasonable for what you're talking about. Included in the types of maps you can download are VFR and IFR charts...so that might be cool for ya.

stratman103

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Check out Maverick too. Very easy to use. Compatable with TrekBuddy AND it auto caches maps as you view them. I tracked my flight last week from Milwaukee back to Pittsburgh without a problem.

pilotbob3

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
OH SNAP TSA IN THE HOUSE! (And yeah you are supposed to, they don't like people tracking live traffic. It causes "issues")

Nope, not a TSA reg but an FAA reg. It's a fear of radio interference with onboard flight electronics, just like having the cell phone signal on. Not sure why wifi radios are now appproved, but other radios are prohibited.....

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nope, not a TSA reg but an FAA reg. It's a fear of radio interference with onboard flight electronics, just like having the cell phone signal on. Not sure why wifi radios are now appproved, but other radios are prohibited.....

Probably because aircraft communication channels are in the 2.4/5 Ghz bands? Of course WiFi is too. It's the whole "sir you need to turn your laptop off we are landing", thing that they always tell ya too. I have always left everything on......I need to go read that's really got me wondering now lol.

And for anyone else interested...........
Turn Off That Phone! | How Things Work | Air & Space Magazine

Looks like from now on I'm turning that off :)

Weekendbum

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, those rules about turning off antennas are probably just to annoy us... What could possibly happen at 40,000 feet?

The App is called Channel 13 on a JetBlue flight...

There really is no science behind cell phones causing plane crashes you know...

But I guess that doesn't matter because clearly the FCC is always correct.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
There really is no science behind cell phones causing plane crashes you know...

But I guess that doesn't matter because clearly the FCC is always correct.

What does the FCC have to do with planes? You mean the FAA I think lol. There is science and recorded happens according to that story I linked to above stating "issues" but most modern commercial airliners shouldn't. But it's one of those take everything into account we can because if this beast crashes on takeoff it's on more thing we can take off the cover our ass list. Modern world gotta love it.

Feldhege

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I am sure there are smarter people out there who can explain why it is a problem, but how in the world a RECEIVER can cause communication issues is beyond me. I can understand a transmitter or transceiver of course.

pilotbob3

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer is the receivers themselves emit RFI.

All of the regualations regarding the devices in flight are dictated by the FAA, not the FCC....

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
What does the FCC have to do with planes? You mean the FAA I think lol. There is science and recorded happens according to that story I linked to above stating "issues" but most modern commercial airliners shouldn't. But it's one of those take everything into account we can because if this beast crashes on takeoff it's on more thing we can take off the cover our ass list. Modern world gotta love it.

If it cannot be reproduced, it is not science, it is hearsay and speculation. Read that article, they have not been able to reproduce any of the issues brought up on speculation/chance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad