Love the phone, screen bites in sunlight. oh well.
    06-28-2010 08:06 AM
    Same here. I wonder if the new displays they are starting to use are any better.
    06-28-2010 08:08 AM
    Just don't keep it directly in the sunlight.
    06-28-2010 08:13 AM
    With that and battery life the only short comings I can get over it because its still a rockin phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    06-28-2010 08:28 AM
    The sunlight problem is easily fixable: cover the phone with your body's shadow, or your hand. Voila.
    06-28-2010 08:47 AM
    To quote Steve Jobs regarding the iPhone4 reception issues: "Just don't hold it that way." ;-)
    06-28-2010 08:48 AM
    use a darker background...makes it easier to read IMHO.....
    06-28-2010 09:52 AM
    Any phone in direct sunlight is going to require you to cover it with your body's shadow or a hand... I have still been able to use it in direct sun by just repositioning my body... If that's the sacrifice I need to make to in order to have this type of screen quality at all other times? Then so be it...
    06-28-2010 10:13 AM
    Any phone in direct sunlight is going to require you to cover it with your body's shadow or a hand... I have still been able to use it in direct sun by just repositioning my body... If that's the sacrifice I need to make to in order to have this type of screen quality at all other times? Then so be it...
    Yeah what cellphone is usable in direct sunlight......
    06-28-2010 12:30 PM
    Not sure if you already have one, but there are Droid specific screen covers sold in a 3 pack by Verizon that are supposed to cancel a lot of the glare issue on the Droids. Can't testify or not if they actually work, I have the covers, but my phone arrives today! HTH!
    06-28-2010 01:47 PM
    Not sure if you already have one, but there are Droid specific screen covers sold in a 3 pack by Verizon that are supposed to cancel a lot of the glare issue on the Droids. Can't testify or not if they actually work, I have the covers, but my phone arrives today! HTH!
    I have those screen covers and am using them now. It does cut down on the glare a lot. In direct sunlight, its still the same but what phone isn't be in direct Florida Sunlight... My only complaint about the covers is that the whites don't come in as clear. But other than that, they work great. It also cuts down on fingerprints.
    06-28-2010 01:54 PM
    I haven't found one of those either. LOL
    06-28-2010 04:44 PM
    True that all cellphones are harder to see in direct sunlight.

The problem people are referring to about the Inc. is the AMOLED screen which is even HARDER to see in direct sunlight than a traditional cell phone screen (whatever the material may be).

I believe that its not really up for debate whether the AMOLED screen on the Inc. is harder to see in sunlight than other screens. IT IS.

Now, its up to individuals to decide how much of a problem this is to them (if any) and to weigh the positives and negatives about this type of screen.

If its not a problem for you, Great!

For some it is an issue though.

My only suggestion, which works for me, is to just turn the screen brightness all the way up. I used to turn it up, using the HTC widget, only when I was outside, but now I just find it better to leave it up all the time.
    06-28-2010 08:00 PM
    Your phone is a vampire.
    06-28-2010 08:56 PM
    Your phone is a vampire.
    That's great!
    06-28-2010 09:58 PM
    I see this as just one more reason to avoid the giant burning thing in the sky. I stay indoors, where my skin retains it's pasty glow AND I can see my phone's screen. Win/win, I say.
    06-28-2010 10:21 PM
    Love the phone, screen bites in sunlight. oh well.
    This is just another reason for us tech-nerds to avoid the sun
    06-28-2010 10:24 PM
    I see this as just one more reason to avoid the giant burning thing in the sky. I stay indoors, where my skin retains it's pasty glow AND I can see my phone's screen. Win/win, I say.
    Ha! My coworker today stated matter-of-factly that I OBVIOUSLY don't like the sun because I'm so pale. Um actually I LOVE the sun, but I'm auburn haired so I'm fair, and I use spf 70 because I don't want wrinkles. I thought I was going to punch him.

I can't ever think of too many times I use my phone outside so I don't think it will be a problem for me. I'll probably end up getting one of the phones with the new LCD screen instead of AMOLED. I'm also in the bright Florida sun and it does tend to wash out just about any phone you might want to use.
    06-28-2010 10:44 PM
    True that all cellphones are harder to see in direct sunlight.

The problem people are referring to about the Inc. is the AMOLED screen which is even HARDER to see in direct sunlight than a traditional cell phone screen (whatever the material may be).

I believe that its not really up for debate whether the AMOLED screen on the Inc. is harder to see in sunlight than other screens. IT IS.

Now, its up to individuals to decide how much of a problem this is to them (if any) and to weigh the positives and negatives about this type of screen.

If its not a problem for you, Great!

For some it is an issue though.

My only suggestion, which works for me, is to just turn the screen brightness all the way up. I used to turn it up, using the HTC widget, only when I was outside, but now I just find it better to leave it up all the time.
    Really tell that to my Blackberry Storm, Eris, Moto Razr, iPhone......I think you get the picture. None of them have the color saturation or the brightness to over power the brightness of the sun in direct light. The debate isn't about AMOLED versus LED, LCD, or Matrix. It's about people's high *** expectations on cellular phones to perform in every environment.

And don't get me wrong if they promised me it would work in direct sunlight then I would be one of the more vocal people here, I just thinks it's stupid to complain about because no electronic display on a small device is readable easily in direct sunlight. The argument isn't coming from me of, "I can see it just fine", I can't see my phone in direct sunlight just like everyone else. My point is people expecting this phone to dance a rain dance and then cook dinner for them....

/rant
    06-29-2010 04:23 AM
    Really tell that to my Blackberry Storm, Eris, Moto Razr, iPhone......I think you get the picture. None of them have the color saturation or the brightness to over power the brightness of the sun in direct light. The debate isn't about AMOLED versus LED, LCD, or Matrix. It's about people's high *** expectations on cellular phones to perform in every environment.

And don't get me wrong if they promised me it would work in direct sunlight then I would be one of the more vocal people here, I just thinks it's stupid to complain about because no electronic display on a small device is readable easily in direct sunlight. The argument isn't coming from me of, "I can see it just fine", I can't see my phone in direct sunlight just like everyone else. My point is people expecting this phone to dance a rain dance and then cook dinner for them....

/rant

Ok that's true, no mobile display is ideal for viewing in direct sunlight. But what you are missing is that some displays are much more visible then others under those circumstances. I had the palm pre, and now the Evo. And both are definitely usable in direct sunlight (again, not ideal, but usable). This is a very solid complaint against amoled, this has definitely been real problem for many.

I don't see how this should upset you. I would understand if someone said "hey what the heck, my screen won't stay on underwater". This complaint is about using a phone out in the sun, a place some of us have to be for some time during the day.

Now thanks to the voices out there, Samsung has made the super amoled display which is a huge improvement for viewing in direct sunlight (Google super amoled vs amoled, and you will see the results for your self). So I'm glad consumers make these complaints, why? Because this is how technology improves. And who wins? Everyone.
    06-29-2010 05:47 AM
    Exactly.....it doesn't upset me at all. However comparing the screens screens that are much more visible in direct sunlight still doesn't mean they are usable. Complaints are some of the driving force behind improvements in technology as well as usability concerns.

I just find it funny so many people complain about not being able to use the phone in sunlight when I can be going down the road with the top off my Jeep on a cloud-less day and can still use the phone. Albeit not surfing web pages like that but as far as answering the phone or dialing it's still more than usable. I just find it slightly irritable when people expect more out of something when it was never said it could do it.

Here is something I Googled on your suggestion. Gizmodo was the first match:
    Screen Comparison Shows LCD Still Beats Super AMOLED In Sunlight

All three could be better but look usable to me. Wishing, demanding, and expecting are different things. Each to his own I guess.
    06-29-2010 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD