This question might be goofy, but any insight is appreciated.

I like how Sense's 'People' works; how you can view all e-mails/SMS/phone calls from a specific contact by sliding your finger across the bottom of the specific contact's screen.

My question is, if I use Google voice to send and receive SMS, will the messages show up under 'People' the same way it would if I wasn't using GV?

Does Sense automatically decipher the incoming GV-assigned phone number and associate it to a contact, or do I have to add that as an additional number to each contact?

I hope I'm being clear. Basically I want to take advantage of Sense UI while using my GV number.
    06-29-2010 10:02 AM
    Hmmm, are you using the Google Voice app?
    06-29-2010 10:40 AM
    I'm not using anything yet, my Incredible is floating out in the abyss (6/6 order). I've been using Google Voice on my BB just to transcribe voicemail, but I'm considering using the GV number full-time if phone calls/SMS from GV is integrated into Sense UI.
    06-29-2010 10:44 AM
    Ahhh i see. The way I have been doing it is by the Google Voice App. I know you have the option to always make calls from your google voice number, ask everytime you dial, or do not use google voice number to make calls. I basically use my google voice right now for voicemail and sms and no calls (though you can still receive calls using your GV number no matter what, dialing is what is optional).

The sms does not come through as a regular SMS. It is sent to the google voice app which then notifies me that I have a text. Its quite nifty. I don't know if that answers your question of it being integrated into the Sense UI though.
    xblitz44x#CB likes this.
    06-29-2010 10:53 AM
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

If the SMSs come through the app then my guess is going to be that it doesn't integrate directly with Sense, which isn't a huge deal. I've heard there is an option to receive it through the native messaging app, but then I'm assuming that when you reply, it would come from your VZW number and not the GV number. I'll have to do some testing if/when my phone arrives.

Thanks again!
    06-29-2010 11:01 AM
    I use GV and when I SMS someone from the app, it does NOT show up in the PEOPLE app when i view their contact and scroll over to messages. Also I have never gotten that email thing to work as well, where you can see what emails were sent to that contact. I use the Gmail app, so not sure if it only works with the Mail app. Oh well.
    I don't use GV for SMS, but the few times I tried it I noticed the above behavior. I don't use GV as my main number because it can't handle MMS yet.
    06-29-2010 11:11 AM
    The only thing i can't stand about google voice is there no ability to send or recieve pictures or videos.
    06-29-2010 11:11 AM
    I don't use GV for SMS, but the few times I tried it I noticed the above behavior. I don't use GV as my main number because it can't handle MMS yet.
    The only thing i can't stand about google voice is there no ability to send or recieve pictures or videos.
    This might ultimately be the deal-breaker for me, depending on how much I intend on MMSing. I have two little girls, so I'm often snapping pictures and sending them to my mom, wife, and brother. I could just tell them to expect MMS to come via a different number, but that may be confusing and annoying.

And yes, the reason why your e-mail isn't showing up in the People app is because you're using the G-mail app and not the native HTC mail app. (from my understanding)
    trmoney24 likes this.
    06-29-2010 11:25 AM
    If you want to send pictures.. are emails not sufficient?

Android can send gmails/pop mails / imap mails...

Its got the whole kaboodle...

Install the GV app.. and set it for.. "ask me " every time. Then switch back and forth at will..
    06-29-2010 12:10 PM
    If you want to send pictures.. are emails not sufficient?

Android can send gmails/pop mails / imap mails...

Its got the whole kaboodle...

Install the GV app.. and set it for.. "ask me " every time. Then switch back and forth at will..
    true, with all the people that have smartphones, email should be fine. and that's what i do when i send pictures to my friends with smartphones. but surprisingly i still have friends with regular phones so i still send and receive quite a few MMS.
    if GV enabled that somehow, then I would switch permanently to GV because the integration is pretty solid otherwise. then you can have unlimited texting for free (vs $20 on VZ) and make all outgoing calls for free, which could reduce your plan. (yah i know you can receive calls for free too with some tweaking, but i want to see the caller id number of the person calling me)
    06-30-2010 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD