Memory Card Size

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
That is what I am thinking; going to looking into a 4 or 8 GB card.

As others said, it all depends on the media/apps you plan on having.

The phone has 8gb internal memory (about 6.5 available upon shipment). The 2gb card is alright to start off with (some apps require a memory card, thus why its supplied), but won't go very far. As of now, the phone can take a 16gb card, but will be able to supposedly take a 32gb card with Froyo. And with Froyo, you'll be able to save apps to the memory card. AND we might have 720p video with Froyo as well, which will also take up more time.

But, if you don't plan on having a ton of music, pics, or videos on the phone at one time, you should be perfectly fine with a 4gb or 8gb card.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That is what I am thinking; going to looking into a 4 or 8 GB card.

For most people an 8GB card will be well worth the money and give them plenty of space for the average user. If you like to stock pile music and video on it for those boring times and travel times more is always better. But like anything else phone related buy the base line and see if you need more. Most 4-8GB cards can be picked up pretty cheaply and they basically give away the 2GB cards, heck Verizon did!

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
16gb class 6 A-Data card loaded up with movies, music, pictures, and system back ups. :)

I'm with Qazme as far as a 32gb card goes. If you want to put a few movies on it, you'll definitely need something bigger. :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
16gb class 6 A-Data card loaded up with movies, music, pictures, and system back ups. :)

I'm with Qazme as far as a 32gb card goes. If you want to put a few movies on it, you'll definitely need something bigger. :)

When I rip and Encode I try my best to shrink them down to a reasonable size where the size/quality ratio is bearable. But sometimes that's hard with my BlueRays and HD TV.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an 8gb card with my music and pictures on it. I am thinking of going to 16gb so I can store a few movies and giving my wife the 8. She is currently running the included 2gb.

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
When I rip and Encode I try my best to shrink them down to a reasonable size where the size/quality ratio is bearable. But sometimes that's hard with my BlueRays and HD TV.

Mine are 700 mb - 900 mb. Can you get them any smaller while retaining quality? I use handbrake. Feel free to PM me so we don't take this thread off topic. :)

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine are 700 mb - 900 mb. Can you get them any smaller while retaining quality? I use handbrake. Feel free to PM me so we don't take this thread off topic. :)

Keep me in loop as well would ya... I use DVDFab6 and Handbrake as well....as instructed on the BlackBerry Storm forum. And my movies are in same size range as yours.

Back on topic now...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Keep me in loop as well would ya... I use DVDFab6 and Handbrake as well....as instructed on the BlackBerry Storm forum. And my movies are in same size range as yours.

Back on topic now...

The smallest I can get them and still keep watchable quality is about 500MB but quality is subjective per person. It's not dvd quality at that small of compression and resolution. Normally DVD/HD TV/Blu-Ray etc all shrink to 800-900MB and retain decent quality for watching on a phone. Hence the reason I need a 32GB card now ;)

In other word I have no 'secrets' that you don't already have.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha! Do you think our current setting will look good when I get that micro-usb to component cable I just ordered... when showing on big flat screen tv?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the resolution of the TV. Screen size means nothing, resolution does. So for instance if your 900MB movie is ,in our case 480x800, and your tv is standard resolution it will look fine, it will even look ok at 720p albeit a bit distorted if your tv doesn't scale. But if your big screen is a 1080p screen it will not look so hot. Kind of like when you take a crappy youtube video that looks ok in that little box and full screen it and it looks like complete garbage. Same idea.

So if you want it to look good in both places, size your movies when you encode them to the resolution of your big screen and you will be ok, but your file size will be bigger.

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
well i picked up 1 of the 32 gig from china. first i almost freaked out because my computer would not read it but come to find out that i didn't even have to use my computer formatting my phone formated it automatically. after everything is said and done i have over 30 gig still available haha not including the over 6 gigs the phone still has available on the internal memory.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
well i picked up 1 of the 32 gig from china. first i almost freaked out because my computer would not read it but come to find out that i didn't even have to use my computer formatting my phone formated it automatically. after everything is said and done i have over 30 gig still available haha not including the over 6 gigs the phone still has available on the internal memory.

Can you give a link to where you bought it or at least the sellers name? I am assuming you got it off of E Bay?

Thanks!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Can you give a link to where you bought it or at least the sellers name? I am assuming you got it off of E Bay?

Thanks!

Be scared of these cards, they are flashing 2GB cards with 32GB card partition tables. The result is that your computer reads it as 32GB until you try to format it and it will error out saying only 2GB is usable now.....

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thread cleaned up & off topic posts removed. Let's try not to aggravate each other mkay!

Thanks Cory there was one person trying to start it back up, I appreciate it.

Thank You!

/off topic.

Has anyone found a cheaper reliable place to get a hold of Sandisk 32GB micro-sdhc? I've been looking all morning an either they are out of stock or they are asking ~$200 for them. Kind of getting as bad as waiting on an Incredible finding these cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc