Wireless and Networks Widgets Don't Always Works

anon(20500)

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I often turn off my mobile and wi-fi at work because it drains the battery quite a bit trying to obtain a signal. I'll turn it on when I leave work. I've put the widgets on my home screen to make this process easier. I've found that even after using the widgets, either the wifi doesn't connect or the wireless doesn't disconnect even though the widgets indicate otherwise. For example, today I turned on the wireless briefly to check mail. I then turn it off, or so I thought. The widget showed it off but I was still getting email. For wifi, I can turn it on, but sometimes it does not turn on until I actually go into the settings and see the wifi connect, like going to the settings triggers it to start connecting

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a third party widgit or the Andriod Power Control Widget?

I'm using the Power Contrrol widget and it works really well, connecting and disconnecting every time.

ctw500

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I often turn off my mobile and wi-fi at work because it drains the battery quite a bit trying to obtain a signal. I'll turn it on when I leave work. I've put the widgets on my home screen to make this process easier. I've found that even after using the widgets, either the wifi doesn't connect or the wireless doesn't disconnect even though the widgets indicate otherwise. For example, today I turned on the wireless briefly to check mail. I then turn it off, or so I thought. The widget showed it off but I was still getting email. For wifi, I can turn it on, but sometimes it does not turn on until I actually go into the settings and see the wifi connect, like going to the settings triggers it to start connecting

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior

I have the same WiFi connection problem occasionally - I use the widget to turn it on, but it doesn't actually connect until I go to the settings screen where it connects without me having to press anything else. Doesn't happen all the time either; it seems to be pretty random in fact.

Never noticed it staying on longer than the widget indicated though, although I haven't really done any testing with that...

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I occasionally have the same problem with the standard HTC wireless widget, too. Not sure what it means. It was working great for a few weeks, then it started to do that, and then I had factory reset my phone for an unrelated reason. Ever since the factory reset, haven't had the problem. It will be interesting to see if it creeps up again later, like it did the first time.