Which do you have? Samsung AMOLED V. SONY Super TFT LCD

Samsung AMOLED or SONY Super TFT LCD, which do you have?

• Total voters

daethwing188

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering which of the two types of screens you have on your Incredible. I'm not sure if there's hardware identification inside of the phone (without really digging around), but perhaps this link can help you identify any difference between the screens.

Screen Comparison Shows LCD Still Beats Super AMOLED In Sunlight

Edit: I'm aware that there are similar threads on the forum, but I wanted to get an idea of what the ratio of screens is and how it will change with the newer batch of phones that will be shipping.

-daeth

Last edited:

Trophias

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
It's already been said that the Incredible will continue to have the AMOLED display. New devices will have the LCD display.

daethwing188

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Said where? Last I heard, HTC was "augmenting production of the Droid Incredible with Sony Super TFT LCD". It was my understanding that the new boxes would contain both types of screens. The only way to tell which you got was to open the box and see.

Trophias

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Said where? Last I heard, HTC was "augmenting production of the Droid Incredible with Sony Super TFT LCD". It was my understanding that the new boxes would contain both types of screens. The only way to tell which you got was to open the box and see.

I saw it on here, but it was some time ago. It was my understanding that future phones will be changed to LCD while the Incredible will still be the same(AMOLED)

daethwing188

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Jerry Hildenbrand on AndroidCentral.com said:
HTC tells us that they will be augmenting production with "Super LCD" displays from Sony, but models with AMOLED displays will still be made. They say that they are almost indistinguishable from AMOLED displays, even when side by side.
Link to full article: HTC addresses AMOLED stock issues by moving to Sony Super LCD panels

I take this to mean that HTC is now producing the Incredible with whatever they have (i.e. both AMOLED and SuperTFTLCD) in order to get the phones out the doors and onto shelves.

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice to know for sure what's coming from HTC. I've been reading up on what the Super TFT would look like. From what I've gathered, the ipad screen is a good example of what to expect. Which, seeing it at Best Buy, isn't bad at all. The only thing that depresses me about Super TFT vs AMOLED is the fact that Super TFT will drain the battery faster. :eek:

daethwing188

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice to know for sure what's coming from HTC. I've been reading up on what the Super TFT would look like. From what I've gathered, the ipad screen is a good example of what to expect. Which, seeing it at Best Buy, isn't bad at all. The only thing that depresses me about Super TFT vs AMOLED is the fact that Super TFT will drain the battery faster. :eek:

Or rather the Evo4g...

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what I have, but I've used the phone outside in the bright Florida sun a few times now, and while it does mute the color, I can still see what I'm doing on the phone. Maybe someone could post how you could tell what you have. ???

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what I have, but I've used the phone outside in the bright Florida sun a few times now, and while it does mute the color, I can still see what I'm doing on the phone. Maybe someone could post how you could tell what you have. ???

I have AMOLED; I get the same results as you in the sun.

I've been overall impressed with the outdoors performance; I was led to believe it was going to be horrible. And I've been out in the desert sun for the last 2 weeks.

daethwing188

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

Until I find a better method, this is all I can recommend

Incredible will not change to lcd!!

That's not what HTC said. They said they were going to continue producing Incredibles with the AMOLED screens and they would augment production of the phones by producing them with Sony Super TFT LCDs.

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That's not what HTC said. They said they were going to continue producing Incredibles with the AMOLED screens and they would augment production of the phones by producing them with Sony Super TFT LCDs.

I heard the same thing. Some with AMOLED and some with Super TFT. Again, the claim from HTC is there is no discernible difference.

The only thing I'll be able to do is compare it to the OLED screen of my Zune HD (which is very different compared to a standard LCD) and see how it compares to whatever arrives from Verizon.

What I can say from comparing OLED to LCD is this: OLED has a WIDE viewing angle. You can view it from any angle and it never gets cloudy and the blacks are perfectly inky and rich. Just pure black and nothing even remotely close to grey. Plus OLED just sips electricity compared to other options save for e-ink.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Plus OLED just sips electricity compared to other options save for e-ink.

Hasn't this been debunked? If the screen is a major battery hog on the early Incredibles with (undoubtedly) the OLED screens, I would hate to end up with an LCD version that was even worse! As I recall, only if you fancy screens of nothing but black backgrounds and light text will you see an energy savings vs LCD; so unless you spend all your time in the settings menu or happen to have a pitch black background, there is no difference.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hasn't this been debunked? If the screen is a major battery hog on the early Incredibles with (undoubtedly) the OLED screens, I would hate to end up with an LCD version that was even worse! As I recall, only if you fancy screens of nothing but black backgrounds and light text will you see an energy savings vs LCD; so unless you spend all your time in the settings menu or happen to have a pitch black background, there is no difference.

There still is a difference; darker colors=lower battery requirements. I have a background that is fairly dark. Text is black. I don't think it's difficult to imagine that the screen does save some power.

ghutch0309

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Until I find a better method, this is all I can recommend

augment meaning "help" i was assuming meaning they will help but continue to use the AMOLED but help with the backorder by using LCD

patches has said, and he is a very reliable source, that hardware version 0002 is AMOLED and version 0003 is the new TFTLCD...not 100% on this would have to know from someone who has or is getting the LCD to be sure

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

With a traditional LCD, pixels share a light source and so you can't have pure black and the illumination is constant. With OLED each pixel is illuminated separately and can turn off completely to produce black. Hence the savings in power.

But yeah, if the battery life was bad with OLED... then switching to LCD could be worse. We won't know until somebody compares the two.

The only negative with OLED is less visibility in sunlight and the tendency for the blue pixels to die off over time (8 years or so).