Props to the DInc Navigation System!

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Usually, I use my own GPS, and haven't had any use for the Navigation that comes with the phone.
However, I'm 1200 miles from home, in the deep deserts of Arizona.

I ended up lost, and started searching through the car I was using for a mao, when I remembered that the DInc came with its own GPS!

It allowed me to speak my destination, just like the Google Voice Search.
.. and it worked amazingly! Accurate to the last second! It saved me tons of driving!

So, if anyone was ever wondering if it works, it works ...I hate to say it.. Incredibly! (booooooooo)

My thanks to my phone today for saving me from the hungry coyotes...:eek:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it’s really good, sometimes too good. I use it several times per day, but on Thursday for the first time it was directing me to roads that were no longer there and were now a part of a farm. After driving another 100 yards or so it recalculated and got me back on track, but it did give me a chuckle at the time

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it’s really good, sometimes too good. I use it several times per day, but on Thursday for the first time it was directing me to roads that were no longer there and were now a part of a farm. After driving another 100 yards or so it recalculated and got me back on track, but it did give me a chuckle at the time

hahaha! Mine did the same thing this time.
I needed to turn around, and the phone directed me to a desert road that must have used to be empty, but now have some new homes blocking the way. But, as soon as I made half a turn away from it, it directed me back absolutely accurately!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Man I was using a Garmin Nuvi 200, not the best of the bunch but good enough, and I tried my nav on the Inc right after getting it on release. Needless to say I don't carry the Garmin with me anymore. It's pretty good.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nav is great when it's working, but today it stopped working for awhile for me. I think I'll hold onto my Magellan for awhile.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
It shaved my regular commute to my mothers house from 20 min to 8 min by directing me over a low mountain. Much faster, much more scenic view.

Tommygun45

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Not so fast

Let's not entirely jump to our knees and worship the Incredible's navigation. For one it is the exact same navigation found on all other newer Android devices as its simply based on Google Maps. When I first used it outside of the Tampa Airport it did not have the newly created highways and I got horribly lost. Also while in Maine today it has the complete wrong address for multiple addresses. Google Maps is the same way, as they share the same data. For instance a street known easily as "McLellan Street" in downtown Brunswick Maine was not recognized because Google Maps and therefore my DInc had it listed as "Mc Lellan Street" with the space between the two letters. This only took me about thirty minutes to figure out. My 2006 Garmin Nuvi 660 with the 2010 Map update however has all of these roads and then some. Mapquest also has far more accurate maps in my experience than Google Maps. I did however notify Google of these three mistakes. Either I'm horribly unlucky or Google Maps... and therefore our Android navigation systems just aren't ready for prime time yet.

** Another very important part to remember is that when you are out of Verizon's coverage area you cannot use navigation. This happened today in Maine and has also happened in New Hampshire, you know, places I go to vacation and don't know the roads well. Always good to hang onto your Garmin's and Tom Tom's for those kind of situations.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Let's not entirely jump to our knees and worship the Incredible's navigation. For one it is the exact same navigation found on all other newer Android devices as its simply based on Google Maps. When I first used it outside of the Tampa Airport it did not have the newly created highways and I got horribly lost. Also while in Maine today it has the complete wrong address for multiple addresses. Google Maps is the same way, as they share the same data. For instance a street known easily as "McLellan Street" in downtown Brunswick Maine was not recognized because Google Maps and therefore my DInc had it listed as "Mc Lellan Street" with the space between the two letters. This only took me about thirty minutes to figure out. My 2006 Garmin Nuvi 660 with the 2010 Map update however has all of these roads and then some. Mapquest also has far more accurate maps in my experience than Google Maps. I did however notify Google of these three mistakes. Either I'm horribly unlucky or Google Maps... and therefore our Android navigation systems just aren't ready for prime time yet.

I have seen this too ? Google Nav is little particular about spelling, and as an example the road my parents live on was Rodgers Ln, for years the sign on the street was RoDgers Ln. Now it Rogers Ln. Google freaks on Rogers, loves RoDgers. But, I had similar problems with my Garmin. The only advantage is that the Garmin does work even in areas with no cell coverage.

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to keep using my Garmin, but see if the phone navigation can get me to places in a quicker way.
A little experiment... why not?
All I know is that it saved me today!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

** Another very important part to remember is that when you are out of Verizon's coverage area you cannot use navigation. This happened today in Maine and has also happened in New Hampshire, you know, places I go to vacation and don't know the roads well. Always good to hang onto your Garmin's and Tom Tom's for those kind of situations.

Out of this whole story though what you are failing to tell the people who don't know is you have to purchase that update for your GPS, and the last time I purchased a map update from Garmin it cost me almost $150. Meanwhile your nav on your phone is free, so you can't expect too much from it. After all it only has the information that Google puts into it, while the professional GPS nav people buy their maps and data from a company that all they do is maps. There are also dedicated nav apps for Android, that will give you the same functionality you just pick where you are going and it downloads the maps to your phone from Google Maps I believe. Also I'm sure Garmin will have a phone client for us sometime in the future. (I hope!)

Just something to stick in the back of your mind. Like you said if you are going to be in a 0 coverage area, or you aren't sure carry your dedicated GPS.

BTW my Garmin is missing some new roads too, the latest map update on mine was 2009.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Let's not entirely jump to our knees and worship the Incredible's navigation. For one it is the exact same navigation found on all other newer Android devices as its simply based on Google Maps. When I first used it outside of the Tampa Airport it did not have the newly created highways and I got horribly lost.

The interstate around the Tampa airport was just changed. They move around the entrance and exit ramps and a bunch of other stuff. I have lived in Tampa all my life and I almost got lost the first time I went to the airport after they finished the construction. The changes are much better but very different from what was there so I can understand how someone could get lost that is new to the area. I haven't checked yet but I would be surprised if my garmin zumo gps has the updated roads around the Tampa airport and I have the lifetime map updates for my zumo.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys sure that the DI won't navigate in areas that don't have cell coverage! I thought that the navigation used GPS satellite info not Cell towers!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys sure that the DI won't navigate in areas that don't have cell coverage! I thought that the navigation used GPS satellite info not Cell towers!

GPS will still work, but your actual map comes from Google maps. So unless you have 3G coverage you can't actually tell where you are.

tubanerd

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone used Copilot? I've thought about purchasing it for when hitting 0 coverage to have backup maps to the google maps. My last GPS map update was like 2008, so google maps is a huge improvement. Maybe sometime they'll give google maps a way to cache a route to the SD card.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used the navigation program as well and works good,, never really had to use it because I haven't gotten lost yet though , lol

Anyone used Copilot?

Sometimes but not the kinda you refer to,LoL.My copilot doesn't have a volume control on her , and you can't turn her off or recaluate your route.But she's not always in the car ! :D

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes I can tell mine warms up when using GPS Navigation for awhile thats normal . How hot do you mean ?Does it make you want to have gloves on hot or just noticeable warmer ?

PS: Also how long do you have it on using it to navigate with ?

Last edited: