Purchasing DInc off of ebay/craigslist?

theoneknownasbob

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a current Eris user who's a little frustrated with his phone, and I'm considering trying to purchase a used Incredible off of eBay or craigslist. Anyone have any experience doing that able to offer any advice on what to do/not to do? From looking at other posts, it sounds like meeting in a Verizon store to verify the clean ESN is a good rule of thumb for craigslist purchases. Any opinions on how trustworthy eBay ads are? If a seller has a high rating and says that the ESN is clean, is that pretty much gospel? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note, any advice on the best way to sell an Eris if I decide to go through with this? I should mention that I'm not an established eBay guy, so I don't have a strong seller rating/history (not that it's bad--it's just non-existent).

mrbrianwc

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would and have used craigslist over eBay. With craigslist, at the time of the sale you can call Verizon and check the ESN. Verizon will do this over the phone if getting to a Verizon store is not convenient. I've done this before and didn't have any issues. Good luck.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
#1. See it in person. Make sure that it is still in good condition and will actually turn on.
#2. Take out the battery get the ESN call Verizon and make sure it is still in good standing. IE not stolen, lost, damaged.
#3. Make sure the phone isn't rooted, unless you want it rooted, and that all the apps are there, work, and don't force close.
#4. Check out the reason why they are wanting to get rid of it. Ask them and verify if at all possible.
#5. Don't hand over any money until the day you agree too. Show up and activate the phone BEFORE you hand them cash.

Be very careful believe it or not people will screw you if they get the chance.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you pay threw paypal. That way you will have insurance of getting your money back in case something isn't as advertised or if the seller doesn't send your purchase. Happened to me. I was almost out 600 dukies trying to get mine. He never sent the device or communicated with me. Did a paypal dispute and got all my money back and went with big v. Good luck and make sure u read the sellers rating. I didn't til afterwards...

Last edited:

weihl165

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I bought mine off craigslist and it's great. As stated check phone for urself get esn and make sure it is clean. Save a ton of money. Good luck. Probably better off craigslist than ebay for the fact you can see it for urself.

muddy00

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I've bought phones from both. Always have had good luck. On ebay you can check out their feedback. Stay away from low or negative feedback and you should be ok. If all else fails i have one for sale too :)

seans1973#AC

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have bought and sold many phones on eBay and CL, Never had a problem. As long as you do you homework like making sure the ESN is clear you will be in good shape. I was just looking at eBay and saw a INC ending in 20 mins, the seller had 99.9% positive feedback with over 63000 sales. I think it was in the $425 range when i looked a few mins ago.

Good Luck

marty.brown

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
eBay

I've been on eBay since 2000 and never been burned once. Just pay strict attention to the feedback rating of the seller and how long he's been there. It isn't hard for a new eBay vendor to gin up some phony sales for a few weeks, but anyone with significant volume and time on eBay with a rating at or above 98% is probably legit and won't jeopardize their ratings for one lousy sale.

bbui4

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine two weeks ago off of craig's list. I met the guy at a Verizon store to check the phone's esn. I just checked the battery and made sure the micro sd card is in the slot and look for scratches. Take your time looking it over. Most guys on CL try to rush the transaction but take your time since you will be spending a decent amount of $$. Good luck and enjoy your DInc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21