Wifi Hotspot/Tethering

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So I did the manual update and I have the hotspot icon which I'm able to connect to my laptop.
Is this any different than the WiFi tethering app that is in the market place requiring root?
Does the hotspot app behave any differently?
Should I reroot and apply the tethering app?

naga

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So I did the manual update and I have the hotspot icon which I'm able to connect to my laptop.
Is this any different than the WiFi tethering app that is in the market place requiring root?
Does the hotspot app behave any differently?
Should I reroot and apply the tethering app?

Yes its different, curious though. You don't already have a tethering plan on VZ? I'm surprised that it works without requiring a broadband plan, maybe VZ opted not to charge for it right now. As far as using the WiFi tether available in root, I wouldn't bother right now if your getting it via VZ for free unless you want root for other stuff.

I have mined rooted and haven't installed the VZ update yet and Wireless Tether works great.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't have the mobile broadband plan but don't want to get hit with any VZ charges. Does it make more sense to reroot and install Wireless Tether?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the mobile broadband plan but don't want to get hit with any VZ charges. Does it make more sense to reroot and install Wireless Tether?

Yes. Personally you may have already messed up installing the leaked OTA. We will find out soon I hope.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was able to reroot and install the WiFi-tethering app. Works great. There is a slight hitch in that I can't get it to stop unless I kill it with a task killer, but I can live with that.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I was fairly certain that there's already a way to root the new OTA update.

Rooting it isn't the issue. Like in the disclaimer if the number order of the hboot/radio is messed up and not in order with the official OTA this will be the last one you can do until another RUU comes out to allow you to flash back to get offical updates etc. Also you can't roll back to before the first OTA to redo anything you may want now that isn't compatible with the new radio. What that is I'm not sure, but there will be issues with some things I'm sure. I'm sure it may not be a huge issue in the long run but may cause issues for people in the short term.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Qazme. So far I've resolved all my WiFi tethering issues thanks to xda forums as well as being able to retrieve paid apps that were missing from the Market with the help of a member in this forum. Very happy so far. Now I'll just wait for Froyo.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Qazme. So far I've resolved all my WiFi tethering issues thanks to xda forums as well as being able to retrieve paid apps that were missing from the Market with the help of a member in this forum. Very happy so far. Now I'll just wait for Froyo.

Glad you got it figured out. For future reference do you mind sharing what you did to fix it so if someone else stumbles upon this looking for the answer they can find it. Thanks, and now to waiting cue for 2.2!