Today while using Google Maps/Navigation the phone started repeatedly rebooting on its own - sometimes two or three reboots in a row. I had to pull over and restart the app - after that it worked for a while, then it happened again.

The problem seemed to occur only with the GPS on; not with Google Maps alone (w/o GPS). I decided to uninstall the latest Google Maps updates, just in case. But I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, and I haven't tried out nav since the uninstall. (Don't want to do a factory reset unless I absolutely have to....)

Anyone else experienced this on the DInc? I saw a similar report in the Evo forum.

I've used nav a couple of times before with no issues and even today it worked fine for some trips. I hope this was just a temporary glitch because this is a super useful app.
    07-18-2010 05:29 PM
    I have only used the nav app on the Incredible a few times but I haven't had any reboots.
    07-18-2010 06:02 PM
    Is the battery getting too hot? Do you have it in the sunlight while it's doing it? I would suggest opening up the battery stats and run nav and see if the temp gets too high. I've used my nav a good bit and have never had this happen.
    07-18-2010 06:50 PM
    How hot is "too hot"? I just installed a battery temp app to check this next time.

I usually lay the phone on the passenger seat, but today I stood the phone up in a cupholder so I could see it while using nav, and I know it was out of the sun because I could see the screen. I actually felt the back case because at one point as it was repeatedly rebooting I thought I might have to do a battery pull to stop it, and the battery didn't seem extraordinarily hot. I expect the phone to get warmer when using GPS, but it's been hotter after a long session of internet use.

Then again, summer in DC means everything is hot, basically, including my car with the a/c on. And maybe it was having more trouble searching for the satellites today. Hope it was just a fluke.
    07-18-2010 08:32 PM
    How hot is "too hot"? I just installed a battery temp app to check this next time.

I usually lay the phone on the passenger seat, but today I stood the phone up in a cupholder so I could see it while using nav, and I know it was out of the sun because I could see the screen. I actually felt the back case because at one point as it was repeatedly rebooting I thought I might have to do a battery pull to stop it, and the battery didn't seem extraordinarily hot. I expect the phone to get warmer when using GPS, but it's been hotter after a long session of internet use.

Then again, summer in DC means everything is hot, basically, including my car with the a/c on. And maybe it was having more trouble searching for the satellites today. Hope it was just a fluke.
    The battery says not to operate above 160. But I would imagine there would be a safety margin in the phone that would shut it down. I would think nothing above 120-130 would be 'safe'.
    07-18-2010 08:42 PM
    i've only used google maps/navigation a couple of times but it did reboot on me once.. hope mine was just a glitch too!
    07-18-2010 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD