4g later this year?

Ksquare

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So with 4g hopefully coming soon to verizon can older 3g phones like lets say the incredible take advantage of the 4g services with maybe a software update or maybe even a hardware update?

Trophias

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the Incredible will be able to because of the hardware functionality. HTC is probably working on a 4G phone for Verizon as we speak.

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you read your own post? "Older 3G phones".

And with the toss-away rate on cellphones, there will be no hardware update. Just an Incredible 2, for the same price tag as the Incredible 1 when it came out. Why? Because they know they can.

Ksquare

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the Incredible will be able to because of the hardware functionality. HTC is probably working on a 4G phone for Verizon as we speak.

Yeah for sure it kind of sucks for me cause i want an inc but i start to think about whats coming later this year and i think now would be a good time to wait to get a new phone

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for sure it kind of sucks for me cause i want an inc but i start to think about whats coming later this year and i think now would be a good time to wait to get a new phone

If you always wait for the next greatest thing, you will always be waiting as something better is constantly coming out.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Theres no way in hell verizon would let an older 3g phone get a simple "update" to use the new LTE "4g" network. They will make people have to pay for a whole new phone and sign new contracts....they are in it for the money.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
maybe the next incredible with the 4g will be like the Evo. i would love to see a big screen HTC phone on Big Red

ghutch0309

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
it would be physically impossible for a 3g phone to connect to a 4g network without new hardware...as stated earlier itll be offered via a new phone

Kitchen42

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Eh i don't care that much if i don't get 4G. Just faster speeds, i think.

Anyway, i heard the 4G plan is limited data so i would rather have unlimited 3G...

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
it would be physically impossible for a 3g phone to connect to a 4g network without new hardware...as stated earlier itll be offered via a new phone

connectivity to 4g is based on the antenna within the phone. you'd have to physically replace the antenna since the one that the Incredible is equipped with does not support 4g.

someone correct me if im wrong.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
connectivity to 4g is based on the antenna within the phone. you'd have to physically replace the antenna since the one that the Incredible is equipped with does not support 4g.

someone correct me if im wrong.

I believe it has more to do with the radio. The radio needs to support full duplex symmetric data connections like GSM, but instead of dual band it's quad band.(IE the reason why you get WAY more bandwidth) Basically LTE is a newer version of GSM with CDMA long distance reach mixed in. The antenna just needs to have a certain length to match the frequency to pull in the correct band out of the air. So replacing the antenna too may be another design decision dependant on what MHz they put the LTE bands on. I would imagine it would be a different band than GSM and CDMA to prevent interference in which, yes an antenna would need to be engineered to work with the banding.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe it has more to do with the radio. The radio needs to support full duplex symmetric data connections like GSM, but instead of dual band it's quad band.(IE the reason why you get WAY more bandwidth) Basically LTE is a newer version of GSM with CDMA long distance reach mixed in. The antenna just needs to have a certain length to match the frequency to pull in the correct band out of the air. So replacing the antenna too may be another design decision dependant on what MHz they put the LTE bands on. I would imagine it would be a different band than GSM and CDMA to prevent interference in which, yes an antenna would need to be engineered to work with the banding.

What he said^^ haha. yeah basically our antenna just wont support the frequency right? The main point being its not a software thing if the hardware wont support it...

ghutch0309

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah thats what i was saying, our phone doesnt support the 700mhz frequency they will be using for LTE...he just explained it out wayyy more

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
... they got to get their 3 g sht working right first LOL , ,before they move to the next stage . fwiw :rolleyes:

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I got my Incredible in May - I figure by the time my annual upgrade rolls around next year, there will be some nice Android LTE devices out that I can choose from.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not like Verizon will have the entire nation blanketed with LTE when it launches. But yah, by this time next year it should have pretty decent coverage and there will be a couple phones (and maybe tablets?) on Big Red running in 4G hotness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy