12-11-2013 09:33 AM
60 123
tools
    Let me go ahead and say right out of the gate that I have tried the well-known "sign out" option under Settings>Accounts & Sync>Add Account. I've also tried many other solutions to no avail. Here's the problem:

Facebook for Sense is not syncing any contacts -- at all. I've refreshed Facebook many times using the method above in order to get updated profile pics. I tried doing that again today, and according to the program I have zero friends. Facebook for Android seems to be working properly, but all of my Sense contacts are gone.

In addition to the above, here's what else I've tried:

-Gone into my Facebook phonebook and hit refresh. Get a "connection error."
    -Signed out of my Facebook for Sense account and in Settings>Accounts and Sync, and signed back in.
    -Deleted my Facebook for Sense account and re-added to phone.
    -Deleted all updates for Facebook for Android under Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Deleted "Android" and "HTC Sense" from "Applications" tab at facebook.com (after removing Facebook for Sense profile from phone). Signed back into Facebook for Sense and still nothing, even after re-installing Facebook for Android updates.
    -Performed hard reset of phone.

That's about all I can think of to try. I'm hoping that something's up with someone's servers. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance!
    07-22-2010 03:23 PM
    No problems here...
    07-22-2010 03:45 PM
    I agree, your contacts pictures should come up as what their Facebook picture is. This work on my Droid but now that I have the Droid Incredible, HTC has it set for HTC Facebook and it does not sync the pictures to my contacts very well.
    07-22-2010 10:35 PM
    for the majority of my contacts i had to go into the contact and create the link between the contact and his/her facebook account...if that helps
    07-22-2010 10:39 PM
    So if I read your post right, you're just trying to get facebook contacts? Like, you want your contacts to get pictures and stuff?

Click on a contact, go to "Link" and go to facebook and find your friend.

There is not separate list in the "People" application for your facebook contacts. But what I do is add the shortcut to my facebook phone book on my home screen. It had all my facebook contacts that have their number on their profile. I don't even have a contact list, just those haha
    07-22-2010 10:40 PM
    Well, i'm not sure that i understand what the OP is trying to do, but here's my story/question on this topic:

I've linked ALL of my contacts that have facebook. Once that was done, it automatically pulled the profile picture, AT THAT TIME, and stored it as their contact photo. I assumed that it would auto update those pictures from time to time, but it never did.

NOW, just within the past week, i've seen ONE, just ONE, SINGLE contact's photo be updated twice; As in, he changed his facebook profile pic online, and my phone updated that ONE contact BOTH times. I've yet to see it update any others.

Is there something special i need to do??
    07-22-2010 11:03 PM
    Same issue here. New phone. Trying to set it up. The normal Android Facebook app works, but trying to use HTC Sense Facebook for contact integration results in a 'The service is unavailable' message. Seems like something is down at HTC and/or Facebook.
    07-22-2010 11:38 PM
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, but I think I need to clarify my issue a little. I know how to link contacts to their facebook profiles; however -- HTC Facebook won't pull any profiles for me to link to. If I click "Link" and then "Facebook - press to link to Facebook profile" I get a screen showing zero contacts/friends. Likewise, if I go to the phone's main "People" application, click on "Online Directories" (the globe at the bottom) and then "Facebook," I get a white screen saying that I have no friends.

Again, Facebook for Android works perfectly fine. It's Facebook for HTC Sense that's the problem.
    Walter Baumgardner likes this.
    07-23-2010 05:49 AM
    Well, i'm not sure that i understand what the OP is trying to do, but here's my story/question on this topic:

I've linked ALL of my contacts that have facebook. Once that was done, it automatically pulled the profile picture, AT THAT TIME, and stored it as their contact photo. I assumed that it would auto update those pictures from time to time, but it never did.

NOW, just within the past week, i've seen ONE, just ONE, SINGLE contact's photo be updated twice; As in, he changed his facebook profile pic online, and my phone updated that ONE contact BOTH times. I've yet to see it update any others.

Is there something special i need to do??
    This was the same experience I had when mine was working. Coincidentally, the one profile that would always update was from Wilmington.
    07-23-2010 05:51 AM
    This was the same experience I had when mine was working. Coincidentally, the one profile that would always update was from Wilmington.
    Hah, thats a pretty big coincidence!

What was that 'Sign out' method you described in your first post? I haven't heard of that, and i didnt see anything about signing out in the 'accounts & sync' settings.
    07-23-2010 07:44 AM
    Its not your phone, HTC for Facebooks has been down sense yesterday. You get the "The service is currently unavailable" warning right?

After call HTC and talking to the rep, I had a hard time explaining it to him as you are\were in your above post. Two different apps, Facebook Sense is for linking your contacts, while the Facebook is of course the facebook app.

I had a issue yesterday, were my ph was showing low disk space and it was my contact showing 110 meg, so I cleared its cache and it took it back to 850k, and reloaded my contacts, but I lost my HTC facebook acct, so I had to add it back and that is when I got my message.

It seems, its working for some if its been set up, but setting up the link now its not working.

Tech told me to wait until later last night, but as of this morning its still not working.

EDIT: I forgot to add, resetting you ph to factory "does not fix" the issue, so don't do it unless you want to reload you ph.
    kelleybp likes this.
    07-23-2010 07:45 AM
    Thanks, that's good to know, so that I don't have to worry about my phone being broken -- hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
    07-23-2010 08:01 AM
    Hah, thats a pretty big coincidence!

What was that 'Sign out' method you described in your first post? I haven't heard of that, and i didnt see anything about signing out in the 'accounts & sync' settings.
    You go to 'Accounts and Sync' and click on 'Add Account' at the bottom. Then click on 'Facebook for HTC Sense' and click 'Sign Out.' In theory, you can then sign back in a few minutes later and all of your photo icons will be refreshed if any of your friends has changed their profile pic. But, don't do it right now as it appears someone's servers are down. You'll end up like me without any Facebook contacts to link to.
    07-23-2010 08:03 AM
    Let me go ahead and say right out of the gate that I have tried the well-known "sign out" option under Settings>Accounts & Sync>Add Account. I've also tried many other solutions to no avail. Here's the problem:

Facebook for Sense is not syncing any contacts -- at all. I've refreshed Facebook many times using the method above in order to get updated profile pics. I tried doing that again today, and according to the program I have zero friends. Facebook for Android seems to be working properly, but all of my Sense contacts are gone.

In addition to the above, here's what else I've tried:

-Gone into my Facebook phonebook and hit refresh. Get a "connection error."
    -Signed out of my Facebook for Sense account and in Settings>Accounts and Sync, and signed back in.
    -Deleted my Facebook for Sense account and re-added to phone.
    -Deleted all updates for Facebook for Android under Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Deleted "Android" and "HTC Sense" from "Applications" tab at facebook.com (after removing Facebook for Sense profile from phone). Signed back into Facebook for Sense and still nothing, even after re-installing Facebook for Android updates.
    -Performed hard reset of phone.

That's about all I can think of to try. I'm hoping that something's up with someone's servers. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance!
    I am losing my mind because mine is doing the exact same thing. I just so happened to download the facebook from android yesterday just for fun and now sense won't sync. I do not know if sense is down or I screwed it up. I have done basically everything you did but can't get it to work. Have you had any success on your end? so frustrating!
    07-23-2010 08:17 AM
    Read post #11
    07-23-2010 08:27 AM
    Read post #11
    I see that but I am not getting The service is currently unavailable" warning right? It goes through the sync process but nothing done
    07-23-2010 08:40 AM
    I see that but I am not getting The service is currently unavailable" warning right? It goes through the sync process but nothing done
    I'm in the same boat with you as I'm not getting a "service unavailable" warning either, but I think it's safe to assume that the servers are down, and that everything will work properly once the servers are back up.
    07-23-2010 08:58 AM
    We need to go here and call or email the issue, hopefully if enough ***** about it, they may work a little faster in fixing the issue.
    HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - Hotline Support
    07-23-2010 10:31 AM
    I know exactly your issue. I'm dealing with the same issue at the moment, and still have not found a solution. This is very frustrating. My facebook app works just fine, shows me profiles, all pictures shows me all my friends and status updates (although, I do not get notifications...at all). What your talking about OP is LINKING facebook contacts, with contacts from your google account, correct? All my contact numbers and emails (essentially my entire phonebook) is linked to my google email. Naturally, when you sync your email during set up (like after the hard reset) all those contacts are ported over in about .5 mil/seconds. Now, sync up your facebook with HTC sense and log in with the facebook for android app and then open the ALL PEOPLE folder, every single contact should be in there. Ranging from- Contacts you've added on the phone itself, contacts from your gmail email or any other email, and FACEBOOK contacts. This is not the issue, none of my facebook contacts show up in there. And when I click on people, click the internet icon on the bottom of the scroller and click on facebook i get "you have no friends" (thanx...:P) so natually, menu button and refresh- and after about 30 seconds "connection error". I got the Dinc on June 8th, and everything worked as should. Today when I woke up I did a hard reset because i was down to like 50mb of memory with nothing open O.o. And now this issue, I have even updated the facebook app from market. I have read everything I could find on the interwebz about this and cannot find a solution... I even went to the local verizon store and had them try stuff and they said, You can order a new one... My response was- So I get to wait another 3 months to have a working phone sent to my house, great. I am determined to figure out why this won't work! Have you found a solution yet?
    07-23-2010 12:49 PM
    Yeah all HTC sense enabled phones seem to be having this problem... I have a evo and the evo forum has the same topic.... It irritates the crap out of me but obviously something is up on the back end.... Here are people complaining to htc on facebook...

Welcome to Facebook
    07-23-2010 12:56 PM
    ^ Thank you. I added my two cents :P I still dont understand how its an HTC issue. Nothing updated on my phone or anything. Even if its servers they have, I still dont get it. Bc its an app, on the phone. All the data is there? No? Possible its a facebook thing??
    07-23-2010 01:23 PM
    So far no solution for me, and yes fixd what you have described is exactly what I'm experiencing.
    07-23-2010 01:41 PM
    Having the same issue as 'fixd' described on my DINC.

Just my 2 cents coming from a web developer...:

I am assuming HTC does not have 'servers' as some are suggesting as a proxy to Facebook as that would be an unneeded liablity and an additional failure point.

HTC as a large 3rd party that develops their Sense UI with an inclusion of Facebook more than likely have a secure connection to FB and since nothing has changed or been updated on our phones it is more than likely Facebook changed something on their end causing this.

If you remember a month or two back there was major issues with the standard Facebook App for Android and for about three days getting status updates etc. was sporadic at best. That was also a Facebook issue.

My only concern is that HTC can quickly identify where the connection is breaking down and has enough pull to notified Facebook to have this ammended.

Then again this is just my best guess know some of the push/pull technologies that make this stuff happen on our sweet Android phones.

-Lil'
    rafaelluik likes this.
    07-23-2010 02:02 PM
    I would have to agree. Another issue since we are on the topic of facebook. My facebook app, never ever shows me any notifications. yes, i get the emails and I have the notifications showed up. But honestly, I had a blackberry before and that was just a bomb facebook app. This is crap. And when I do load my notifications, I have to open my browser to even see what it is for and load touch.facebook. Pointless if you ask me.
    07-23-2010 02:43 PM
    'fixd' we are on the same page... I was a Blackberry convert too... I do get event invites now and again as well as friends requests.... but they do always open in touch.facebook.

That really has to do with Facebook not having a well polished app for Android. From what I ahve read round the net, alot of folks have been dissapointed in the Facebook app for Android versus the iPhone one.

I would have to assume with the size and speed of the growth of the Android community they won't be able to avoid juicing up the app too much longer.

-Lil'
    07-23-2010 02:47 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD