OG Droid Inc Getting an Update for the Random Reboots!!! Madness!!

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
According to Droid Life, the Droid Incredible is getting a 4.2 MB update that is supposed to fix the midnight random reboots that everyone seems to be having. I am shocked. First, ICS for the HTC ThunderBolt, now this? HTC is batting 2-for- 2 these days. It's also sad that the DInc got an update and the GNex is still waiting on another one.
Here is the link.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/0...ve-update-to-build-4-08-605-19/#disqus_thread

67GTV

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this information Jowlah! I couldn't believe when I started receiving the update prompts on my DINC this morning. I was hoping to find a big discussion here regarding the 4.08.605.19 software update. So far, your's is the only reference. I cannot even find the official announcement on vzw.com. Any takers on this update? ;)

EDIT: I found a VZW link from a support forum thread last posted in August 2010. The "Benefits" and "Instructions" link to updated PDFs regarding this 6.08.605.19 update.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
No problem. I know that ANY update that will fix that wonky reboot situation is a welcome change of pace. I know that a lot of people (including myself) have moved on from the once great DInc, but if the ones like you that are still rocking that phone can use the help, then more power to everyone.

Last edited:

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I move on a year ago, but this is good to hear. I am looking for a stock rom or RUU for this update so hopefully somebody out there is still working with this phone. I want to give the phone to my cousin. Lost her blackberry for work and they won't replace it. She just needs a phone capable of emails. Didn't want to give her rom'ed out phone, or a stock one with reboot problems.

candiri

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I received the update message this morning. The only news is it helps "random" resets, which I'm all for, so I figured, "Why not?"

So I tried the update, and of course I needed more free memory. So I used Elixir 2 (rave, rave, awesome app) to sort apps by code size and move the largest to SD.

I moved the clock forward a month, got the update message again, tried it again. Then had the problem where the update counts down to restart, but never does. Long story short, I moved the clock back, forward, forward, back, no dice, finally had to wipe the cache.
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/731482

Next the update came down without changing clock, and installed successfully. But as with a previous update, all my SD apps were now empty icons. I rebooted once more for kicks, and the good news is they all filled in while I was writing this.

I am appreciative and certainly not amazed HTC and VZW continue to update the DInc. It was one of VZW's best selling Androids, and so had an early large foundation. From the forum posts, there's still plenty of DInc users so it likely still has a large pie piece of their market.

Last edited:

asoubriquet

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, candiri...I had to go through the exact same steps, but only knew to do them thanks to you. I'm happy now! I hope the reboots stop, and maybe the phone won't crash if I touch it too soon after booting anymore (during mail sync), either! I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon and I couldn't afford a new phone at retail price without the New Every Two upgrade. I still love my Incredible! Maybe now it will love me back. ;)

67GTV

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting your update experiences candiri and asoubriquet! Please let us know if the 2am reboots have stopped.

Our phones are both stock non-rooted. I have witnessed and heard my wife's DINC reboot several times per night, but only two or three nights per week. If it doesn't wake me up, I simply check her phone's history (long press on home) to determine if it rebooted the previous night. My DINC has not had the reboot issues, yet I have a ton of adware-laced games.

People had so many issues with the last update, and I am a huge procrastinator, that I installed it just a few months ago. I had to go through the cache clearing steps on both phones. The previous update borked my SD card icons as well. I have to run Fast Reboot to get the icons back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital