Incredible replacement phone LCD or AMOLED?

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I just got a replacement Incredible because the first one I got in May had it's speakerphone go out. I was wondering, rumor has it that the new Incredibles are going to come with LCD screens and not AMOLED and would like to know how I can tell if mine has the original AMOLED screen or the new Super LCD screen. I have no interest in the LCD, I bought the phone because it had an AMOLED screen despite the daytime performance issues.

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
According to the new article posted on the front of Android Central... only the Nexus One and the HTC Desire will get the switch from AMOLED to LCD. I think the Incredible won't be getting a new screen. At least, that's how I understood it.

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
According to the new article posted on the front of Android Central... only the Nexus One and the HTC Desire will get the switch from AMOLED to LCD. I think the Incredible won't be getting a new screen. At least, that's how I understood it.

Sweet! I hope not.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

The article did not say this. HOWEVER, HTC has not made any Incs with LCD screen at this point. HTC said that some of their phones would be going to LCD and only mentioned 2 by name. That does not mean the others wont, but at this time ALL Incs have the AMOLED screen.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't there an article on Android Central that HTC was going to the super LCD for the Inc. so that they could fill the orders? I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure. I will try to find it so I can post the link to it.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

The article did not say this. HOWEVER, HTC has not made any Incs with LCD screen at this point. HTC said that some of their phones would be going to LCD and only mentioned 2 by name. That does not mean the others wont, but at this time ALL Incs have the AMOLED screen.

You are both wrong. HTC has come out and said that they are supplementing the DInc screens with the SLCDs (made the announcement in mid-June). Might have even indicated a complete replacement. They did this because the massive backorder on the phone was caused by the lack of AMOLED screens to go around. Samsung makes the screens, and with their own line of Android phones now out, its evident they were going to redistribute their resources to their own devices.

Wasn't there an article on Android Central that HTC was going to the super LCD for the Inc. so that they could fill the orders? I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure. I will try to find it so I can post the link to it.

You are correct. Thanks for linking the story above.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
So is the Incredible going to SLCD or staying with AMOLED?

I doubt it will stay with AMOLED, but who knows? I mean, I want an Incredible, but I want a screen that is up to par (resolution wise lol) with an X & has good battery life (without the screen draining it).

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It may already be SLCD, at least somewhat. HTC said they were supplementing the AMOLED displays, which means they were going to use some of both. This may be why the Verizon ship by date for the DInc isn't moving from 8/3 (could also be due to offset from Droid X orders as well).

In any case, HTC has said they would use the SLCD on the DInc. Not sure why some have such a hard time grasping this...

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I swear the replacement Incredible I got today has better daylight performance compared to my original one. Does that mean mine is LCD? Hope not. Thing is, I don't want the LCD, I want the AMOLED, that's why I bought this phone. AMOLED may not be as good in the daylight but it uses a lot less power and that's my priority.

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
It may already be SLCD, at least somewhat. HTC said they were supplementing the AMOLED displays, which means they were going to use some of both. This may be why the Verizon ship by date for the DInc isn't moving from 8/3 (could also be due to offset from Droid X orders as well).

In any case, HTC has said they would use the SLCD on the DInc. Not sure why some have such a hard time grasping this...

its not that, it's that some of us bought this phone for the AMOLED screen, they might be switching it on us and we have no definite way to tell the difference. We're nerds man!

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost positive that mine is an LCD...I still have my old phone and have been comparing the two and the new screens' color definitely lacks the punch of the old AMOLED. **** Verizon, liars. Whats even more frustrating is that I can't prove it 100%.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I really don't care about AMOLED or LCD, I just want one with a great screen & doesn't effect battery life lol. It won't be a deal breaker if they use either.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
From the story -

"However, HTC has not parted ways with Samsung altogether. Samsung will continue supplying AMOLED displays for a certain range of HTC smartphones, including Droid Incredible. Interestingly, Droid Incredible has been out of stock ever since it hit the market and those interested in the device are reportedly told to wait for weeks before they can expect to get their hands on it."

So the dance continues... is it or isn't it?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost positive that mine is an LCD...I still have my old phone and have been comparing the two and the new screens' color definitely lacks the punch of the old AMOLED. **** Verizon, liars. Whats even more frustrating is that I can't prove it 100%.

Look in the hardware section and see what the build is (0002?) and check the sku? to your old phone see if they the same or not ;)

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Could you take photos of the phones? Use a DSLR if you can. :)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
"However, HTC has not parted ways with Samsung altogether. Samsung will continue supplying AMOLED displays for a certain range of HTC smartphones, including Droid Incredible. Interestingly, Droid Incredible has been out of stock ever since it hit the market and those interested in the device are reportedly told to wait for weeks before they can expect to get their hands on it."

They outlined pretty clear that the Incredible will stay AMOLED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol